Other clubs' transfers

Greg

6 minutes ago, midds said:

Chelsea simply buying players to stop others from getting them at this point. Not giving a single fuck about FFP. And why should they tbh? It's toothless and the punishments for breaking it are absolutely shite, almost encouraging teams to take the piss. 

Said this exact same thing the other day....clearly don't give a f**k about FFP punishment as they've sold nowhere near enough to cover what they've spent since Boehly came in 

2 hours ago, 54 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens here, because Chelsea want her too, and we all know they've got money to burn!!

Man u are in a decent position to qualify for the womens champions league for the first time, but they won't do it if they lose Russo now. But, she can go for a free in the summer so it's their last chance to make some money!!

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

They have spent 600 million in 2 transfer windows, surely they have ? 

Not as far as I'm aware. They've offset it against income from sales along with ludicrously long contracts. The contest lengths were a loophole that UEFA have now closed.

Seems like a high risk strategy from Chelsea to circumvent FFP rules.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't get what's in it for some of these players signing for Chelsea. Unless they're naive or only interested in the money/contract 

That's what I don't get either. Particularly up and coming players who need regular game time.

I'd like to know Potter's thoughts on the whole strategy.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Not as far as I'm aware. They've offset it against income from sales along with ludicrously long contracts. The contest lengths were a loophole that UEFA have now closed.

Seems like a high risk strategy from Chelsea to circumvent FFP rules.

If any of them get ACLs or leg breaks and don’t come back the same they’re fucked. The wage too will bugger it if they’re looking to move them on and really only the premier league can afford those types of wages.

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They haven't broke any rules have they?

No not yet. If they fail to reach CL they could be in a bit of trouble. That is why they have structured the deals over ridiculous amounts of time. They are playing the system right now. I think we would be heavily scrutinized though, more than Chelsea had it been us. Maybe thats just some paranoia lol

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't get what's in it for some of these players signing for Chelsea. Unless they're naive or only interested in the money/contract 

Probably a bit of both tbh

3 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

If any of them get ACLs or leg breaks and don’t come back the same they’re fucked. The wage too will bugger it if they’re looking to move them on and really only the premier league can afford those types of wages.

Yep, if a couple of them are 

duds or long term dick notes,l they'll struggle to shift them.

Still think any formal legal challenge to FFP would have the authorities scared shit less. Any top legal team could find loads of inconsistencies loopholes which would blow out of of the water. Maybe I'm being being optimistic with that though? 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Job security and a top wage guaranteed for nearly all your peak years in a profession where a muscle injury at 22 can ruin you. The players would be mad not to consider it. The main issue is for the club and the long term motivation of people with such job security. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

Still think any formal legal challenge to FFP would have the authorities scared shit less. Any top legal team could find loads of inconsistencies loopholes which would blow out of of the water. Maybe I'm being being optimistic with that though? 

It’s not really a loophole though is it, Chelsea are one of the few big six clubs who make good money back from selling players. Their current spend is allowable under FFP but long term it won’t be especially if they fail to get in the CL.

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

It’s not really a loophole though is it, Chelsea are one of the few big six clubs who make good money back from selling players. Their current spend is allowable under FFP but long term it won’t be especially if they fail to get in the CL.

No team can sell enough players to stay inside the limits with this spending

Edited by Pata

Thing with Chelsea’s summer transfers is they spent a load of money but not on anyone that special and they overpaid massively even on the decent players (100m on koulibaly and Fofana!) - some of the outlay this time looks a bit more quality 

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

No team can sell players to stay inside the limits with this spending

They’ve made close to 400m odd in player sales in the past four windows.

£157m in 19/20
£60m in 20/21
£124m in 21/22
£56m in 22/23

Add in you don’t have to be in profit, just under the allowable amount of losses. 

It’s utterly reckless and unsustainable in the long term but they aren’t breaking any of the rules at the moment.

Edited by GeordieDazzler

19 minutes ago, midds said:

It encourages cartel behaviour and market domination. It looks even worse now they're starting to restrict how clubs make their revenue.

21 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Nah, I'm taking about stopping companies from spending what they want to. The whole thing seems low a huge pile of inconsistent, arguable and contextual nonsense. It's ripe for a big legal challenge to see if it holds up in the courts or it comes crumbling down. 

28 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

They’ve made close to 400m odd in player sales in the past four windows.

£157m in 19/20
£60m in 20/21
£124m in 21/22
£56m in 22/23

Add in you don’t have to be in profit, just under the allowable amount of losses. 

It’s utterly reckless and unsustainable in the long term but they aren’t breaking any of the rules at the moment.

The powers that be could always change the rules, like the related parties thing wasn't a rule until  we were taken over. They even had the gall to change it mid season.

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, midds said:

Chelsea simply buying players to stop others from getting them at this point. Not giving a single fuck about FFP. And why should they tbh? It's toothless and the punishments for breaking it are absolutely shite, almost encouraging teams to take the piss. 

They'll get a big fine. So they love throwing money around, means nothing to them and their punishment will be to make them do more of what they love doing and means nothing to them. That'll teach them

Edited by Wolfcastle