Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I find Everton hard to assess - are they a basket case because of intention/neglect like Ashley, or just bad decisions? 

Decisions for sure. Senior managers (DoF, manager, owner) all going different directions and wanting differing things from players, hence why, for example the one year they spent a shitload on three different no.10s. They’ve spent a huge amount, but mainly on dross. Plus the new stadium etc 

53 minutes ago, Bada Bing said:

Really like a lot of Chelsea's signings. They're betting the house that transfer fees continue to go up (hence spend big now), but I reckon it will pay off.  They'll also recoup a fair whack on Lukaku, Havertz, Sterling, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi etc. Definitely a method to the madness.

The wages mean it will be hard to sell these players unless they are willing to take paycuts. Atleti, Conte & Juve days of dodgy transfers looks done and that would be the best market for them.

But aye I agree with the right manager - they should be competitive next season. There's enough talent across the pitch for a run at top 4 next season. They have this season to try and find a team out of those.

It's similar to Forest. There's a lot of good players there. They've found a semblance of a team and are probably upper midtable in form over the last 12 games or so.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

The Everton thing is hilarious but also feels really like our Mike Ashley windows.

Sell one of your best players for a huge profit and then bring no one/ Andre Ayew in for nowt

They've only had two years of it. We had 14. Fuck em!

I reckon Dyche went to Everton knowing they wouldn’t sign anyone, that might even be what secured him the job over someone like Bielsa who wanted players in. Its a win-win for him now really. If they go down then he wasn’t backed, if they stay up he’s a miracle worker. 

Edited by Nine

14 minutes ago, Nine said:

I reckon Dyche went to Everton knowing they wouldn’t sign anyone, that might even be what secured him the job over someone like Bielsa who wanted players in. Its a win-win for him now really. If they go down then he wasn’t backed, if they stay up he’s a miracle worker. 

Absolutely. The first thing he said upon being announced was "There is quality in this squad. But we have to make them shine. That's the job of me and my staff", immediately discussing getting the best out of the squad and not a word about "doing business" or anything to that effect. There was no chance he was getting any signings of note.

18 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Are Forest some kind of contemporary art project or a comedy troupe? I love their loose cannon approach to signing dross and past-it players 

To be fair their loose cannon approach is keeping them up

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

The wages mean it will be hard to sell these players unless they are willing to take paycuts. Atleti, Conte & Juve days of dodgy transfers looks done and that would be the best market for them.

But aye I agree with the right manager - they should be competitive next season. There's enough talent across the pitch for a run at top 4 next season. They have this season to try and find a team out of those.

It's similar to Forest. There's a lot of good players there. They've found a semblance of a team and are probably upper midtable in form over the last 12 games or so.

Agreed. They’re not making back anywhere close to the fees they spent. Lukaku was nearly £100m, absolute fucking disaster of a signing. Others have whittled their contracts down and have much less resale. If the newbies don’t click, the likes of Nkunku for £60m, Fernandez, Mudruyk, then they’re right up shit creek. Hopefully.

48 minutes ago, joeyt said:

To be fair their loose cannon approach is keeping them up

You could argue that setting down is keeping them up, and they've just gone and shaken it up again for no reason.

At least they're in a better position now though. 

12 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Agreed. They’re not making back anywhere close to the fees they spent. Lukaku was nearly £100m, absolute fucking disaster of a signing. Others have whittled their contracts down and have much less resale. If the newbies don’t click, the likes of Nkunku for £60m, Fernandez, Mudruyk, then they’re right up shit creek. Hopefully.

In the right system - Lukaku could come back and be a hit.