Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Guest HTT II
34 minutes ago, brummie said:

I used to watch Gazza when he was coming through with you when I lived up there, and watching Grealish these last few years has been exactly like watching Gazza was.

I always remember Gascoigne in his early Newcastle days, head back, chest out, arrogantly playing with such swagger, he stood out a mile. I got exactly the same feeling watching Grealish come through.

He’s the type of player (Grealish) you just wanna watch get the ball and do his thing even if it may detract from the rest of the team sometimes or doesn’t always come off, that’s what football is or should be intrinsically about, heroes, flair, skill, talent, personality, individuals, people you pay to go and watch do their stuff and in the current (English) game there are none better IMO. Ask yourself who would you pay money to see with the ball at their feet? Grealish easily is one of those rare players. Our own Saint-Maximin likewise and Ben Arfa before him and peak Gazza arguably the best in that regard.

38 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Man, Gazza would make a man city team come on. Peak gazza is getting into that side 100z 

Then why did he play for Newcastle, Tottenham & Lazio and win one decent trophy in his career? 

Their ability isn't what I doubt. It's their style and discipline in relation to fitting into a team like Man City.

As I say, we'll see. Maybe Pep has a masterplan, but the majority of promising players that go to these teams end up bench ridden.

By no means do I think this is a bad move, nor do I think that Grealish shouldn't make such a move, I just don't think it's a sure thing. By a long shot. 

37 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He’s the type of player (Grealish) you just wanna watch get the ball and do his thing even if it may detract from the rest of the team sometimes or doesn’t always come off, that’s what football is or should be intrinsically about, heroes, flair, skill, talent, personality, individuals, people you pay to go and watch do their stuff and in the current (English) game there are none better IMO. Ask yourself who would you pay money to see with the ball at their feet? Grealish easily is one of those rare players. Our own Saint-Maximin likewise and Ben Arfa before him and peak Gazza arguably the best in that regard.

I agree with all of that. But I don't think that's particularly compatible with how Man City play, nor any of the other title contenders. 

Guest HTT II
42 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

Then why did he play for Newcastle, Tottenham & Lazio and win one decent trophy in his career? 

Their ability isn't what I doubt. It's their style and discipline in relation to fitting into a team like Man City.

As I say, we'll see. Maybe Pep has a masterplan, but the majority of promising players that go to these teams end up bench ridden.

By no means do I think this is a bad move, nor do I think that Grealish shouldn't make such a move, I just don't think it's a sure thing. By a long shot. 

You can’t compare the different eras, Gazza today would be another 100m + player and would get into any team. With Grealish I think that paying that kind of money, he’s not gonna be a bit part player, I can even see their owners getting rid of Pep first if he benches him.

Guest HTT II
43 minutes ago, SEMTEX said:

I agree with all of that. But I don't think that's particularly compatible with how Man City play, nor any of the other title contenders. 

City have proved they are very adaptable in terms of how they play over the years and I think Grealish is more than good enough to make them even better.

53 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Depends who you class a title contenders, if you’re classing Man United I’d say he fits in there, also Liverpool. City too. Just because they press doesn’t mean he won’t fit in. Those teams also accommodate more ball hungry players. 

Grealish to City is plain and simply them taking a player to show that they can... and to stop any competitor having him.

They don't need him as they already have several better options for where he plays

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Grealish to City is plain and simply them taking a player to show that they can... and to stop any competitor having him.

They don't need him as they already have several better options for where he plays

That doesn't really seem City's style in the transfer market. They spend alot but usually players from the second price range bracket not the top. 

For them to go and spend 100m on him Pep must really want him and have a plan for him imo. I'm shocked people don't think he'll be a big part of their first team plans. 

7 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

That doesn't really seem City's style in the transfer market. They spend alot but usually players from the second price range bracket not the top. 

For them to go and spend 100m on him Pep must really want him and have a plan for him imo. I'm shocked people don't think he'll be a big part of their first team plans. 

No it's not their usual method, just don't see who's place he could consistently take unless they don't see Foden being a short/medium term option.

Think there's an element of saving face because of Sancho to Man U in there too

On 30/10/2017 at 19:55, Interpolic said:

London's class, it's just hyper as fuck for the most part. Done 9 years down here, not sure I could do more than 15 but we'll see.

London is good as long as you have money.

Objectively though...what can you do in London that you couldn't do in any other largish city?

20 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I haven’t seen them do that, and frankly I don’t think any club does that. They aren’t going to splash huge sums of money depriving another club of a player, it’s just not how it works. It’s conspiracy ish imo 

Felt there was more than a hint of that about Alexis Sanchez.

Just looking at transfer ins and outs for the Championship. Only £18 million has been spent so far between all 24 clubs. £12.5 of that came from Harry Wilson's move to Fulham...

In the PL meanwhile...

On 22/07/2021 at 19:37, Scotty66 said:

Rafa straight in and signing decent players for 1990's money while Steve Bruce wanking himself off in his office over signing Hendrick on a free. 

Well yer knaw. 

He's sitting in his office hitting the space bar.

8 hours ago, HTT II said:

You can’t compare the different eras, Gazza today would be another 100m + player and would get into any team. With Grealish I think that paying that kind of money, he’s not gonna be a bit part player, I can even see their owners getting rid of Pep first if he benches him.

Gassa was the highest transfer fee at the time, so it's comparable. Although Gassa was a bit younger. Back in those days, spending the highest transfer fee was still a bit of a risk, whereas today it's like a drop in the ocean.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Spurs want Adama Traore apparently

He's absolutely shite.

Was the same with us and has not changed since - run fast in a straight line, run out of pitch, repeat.

He reminds me of Tony Daley, except Daley used to score every now and then.

1 hour ago, brummie said:

He's absolutely shite.

Was the same with us and has not changed since - run fast in a straight line, run out of pitch, repeat.

Still not sure what he’s meant to be. Wing back who can’t really defend and can’t really cross or a forward who doesn't score or assist. Victor Moses without the ability. 

Mental he’s rated highly. I remember he torched Man City’s high line a few times but apart from that can’t recall him being any good. Sprint button held down. 

7 hours ago, Interpolic said:

Fkn 4 year bump?! 

:lol:

Also, there are tons of things you can do in London and not in any other largish city. You could go to the BFI, the British Museum, the Globe, or the Tower of London for starters.

7 hours ago, brummie said:

He's absolutely shite.

I read that as Tom Daley at first