Other clubs' transfers

Greg

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Who has actually spent big money so far? A lot of rumours but nothing concrete just yet. 

Chelsea with a big bid for Lukaku, but they've also sold £65m worth of players so far already this summer.

Arsenal just paid £50m for a centre back. Arsenal who don't really spend big. Obviously you guys, then Man City bidding £100m for Grealish (which was confirmed).

Who are the £65m worth of Chelsea players? I can only see £30m unless I'm missing someone?

Wasn’t City’s bid for Kane confirmed as well weeks ago? If they’re successful that’s over 200m on just two players which is outrageous. Have Man Utd not spent over 100m as well with other transfer targets still in the works? I suspect Liverpool and Chelsea will spend north of 100m before the end of the month, definitely Chelsea.

Nothing confirmed but the intent is there from the clubs. Might be a debate worth coming back to in four weeks.

Edited by Decky

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Arsenal just paid £50m for a centre back. Arsenal who don't really spend big. Obviously you guys, then Man City bidding £100m for Grealish (which was confirmed).

Who are the £65m worth of Chelsea players? I can only see £30m unless I'm missing someone?

Arsenal are the only noteworthy one with the Ben White deal which is a lot for him.

We've paid a grand total of £14.6m so far this summer. :lol: We're expected to pay £34m for Varane. That's £47.6m which is roughly the same as a prime Joelinton. A lot of departures still to come too you'd think. Word is Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Dalot and Martial are all available for sale. I would expect our net spend to be zero by the time the window closes.

Chelsea have sold Guehi and Tomori for almost £50m between them. 

Spurs have spent about £20m.

Liverpool have spent £35m but sold £33m worth and Wijnaldum gone on a free.

Obviously if City sign both Grealish and Kane that's absolutely minging, but they've got rid of Aguero's wages and sold about £20m as well. If they did sign Kane or Grealish we've no idea how these deals would be structured at the same time. 

Just now, Froggy said:

Arsenal are the only noteworthy one with the Ben White deal which is a lot for him.

We've paid a grand total of £14.6m so far this summer. :lol: We're expected to pay £34m for Varane. That's £47.6m which is roughly the same as a prime Joelinton. A lot of departures still to come too you'd think. Word is Lingard, Pereira, Jones, Dalot and Martial are all available for sale. I would expect our net spend to be zero by the time the window closes.

Chelsea have sold Guehi and Tomori for almost £50m between them. 

Spurs have spent about £20m.

Liverpool have spent £35m but sold £33m worth and Wijnaldum gone on a free.

Obviously if City sign both Grealish and Kane that's absolutely minging, but they've got rid of Aguero's wages and sold about £20m as well. If they did sign Kane or Grealish we've no idea how these deals would be structured at the same time. 

Aren't you paying for Sancho? Or is it over 5 years or something?

Kane and Grealish will both be on as much as Aguero anyway.

Difficult one I guess. I suppose we don't know how Chelsea have structured their outgoings either. It could be that their "£65m" is over a set amount of time too.

Point stands. The rich teams get bigger whilst the poor teams go out of business.

Just now, Shearergol said:

Aren't you paying for Sancho? Or is it over 5 years or something?

Kane and Grealish will both be on as much as Aguero anyway.

£73m over 5 years. £14.6m payment per season. Varane £34m + add ons.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sky seemed to think it was a fixed fee, up front. 

Sky are wrong. 95% of the negotiations between the two clubs were how to structure the deal as we couldn't afford an upfront payment.

Just now, Froggy said:

So you sign Sancho over 5 years but Milan pay up front for Tomori? 

I guess the issue is no other teams can commit to future budgets, whereas the "BIG 6" know they'll just keep getting the TV money and European qualification.

Just now, Shearergol said:

So you sign Sancho over 5 years but Milan pay up front for Tomori? 

I guess the issue is no other teams can commit to future budgets, whereas the "BIG 6" know they'll just keep getting the TV money and European qualification.

Yes. Tomori had an option to buy for that fixed amount in his contract.

And in response to your last point, yes that's exactly what it is. The money in English football is obscene.

Just because the aforementioned clubs' outgoings are slightly more balanced than would first appear doesn't mean their poverty-pleading wasn't a load of bullshit or their conduct in the transfer market is any less irksome. 

People are right to still have beef with them even if their investments turn out to be comparatively modest when looking at previous summers. Maybe these clubs would argue that their debt and their 'lack of' cash in the bank was causing some troubles, to the extent that drastic action was required... Fine. Skint, are you? What about the hundreds of millions worth of assets you've got in the playing squad? Sell some of them to balance the books maybe, like other clubs do? Turns out you're not that skint after all. 

Carrying on business as usual - selling players not to address financial woes but to fund the purchasing of different players - just makes a mockery of the whole charade, and reinforces the conclusion everyone made about the ESL and how it was solely a manifestation of greed. 

BTW Froggy I know you weren't disputing this, and were only addressing the notion that 'more was being spent than usual', which I think you've fairly counterargued. But I think it needs to be accepted that these clubs continuing to spend anything that might vaguely be considered substantial is going to irritate the masses, one way or another, because of what happened with Big Picture/the ESL. 

I don’t understand the situation at Arsenal. I was under the impression they’ve been making a loss in recent years, and that their owner is tight and uninterested. But after covid and another year of no CL football they’re spending big.

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

I don't think transfers should be talked about like this when every transfer can't be broken down like that. 99% of Man U fans are not thinking about the £14.6m they are paying Dortmund for the next 5 years when they are crying about not enough money being spent.

Edited by Pata

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

I don’t understand the situation at Arsenal. I was under the impression they’ve been making a loss in recent years, and that their owner is tight and uninterested. But after covid and another year of no CL football they’re spending big.

Their owner is stinking rich and has apparently responded to the protests that happened after the big 6 malarkey.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

PrOtEsTiNg DoEsN't WoRk

I know right :lol:

I'd even say the Man Utd protests essentially had the same effect, as their recruitment team have been on it this summer too.

3 hours ago, Pata said:

I don't think transfers should be talked about like this when every transfer can't be broken down like that. 99% of Man U fans are not thinking about the £14.6m they are paying Dortmund for the next 5 years when they are crying about not enough money being spent.

Very, very rare we've completed transfers that are installment based, so you're right that most won't factor it in. Then again, most are idiots.

These deals probably shouldn't be broken down like this, but it's still the reality of the deal. Our net spend this summer at the moment is £14.6m.

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

That's how pretty much every transfer is structured (except Newcastle) , but we never talk about them like that. You've bought him for £73m or whatever it was, no need to pretend anything else. 

Aye and if we're stupidly breaking down these transfers into installments, we'd need you to include last year's installment transfers too. And the prior 3 or 4 years.

Just send us the full MUFC Quickbooks file and I'll paw through it.