Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Heard a rewmer you don’t need to wait until the last months of contracts, or even if doing them beforehand thus conducting them, solely during transfer windows to do new contracts.

Guest Gonzo

It was Benítez who said to wait until the end of the season. He then had talks with Charnley before meeting Ashley.

The China rumours were about from before the season ended.

And January, late last year, last summer and the season before that?

Club who dishes out contacts to anyone looking like value suddenly doesn’t want to for their key asset.

The more I hear about this the more I wonder.  I loved Rafa and what he was building here, his connection to the people and the city.

But obviously negotiations with the Chinese have been underway for a long time.  I just wonder what his demands and aspirations really were for NUFC.  He has made it known about his 'project' and long term plans etc,. but Ashley doesn't do long term plans, he is a quick buck man and all of the investment that is required/ talked about would take years to recoup. Just not Ashleys style I'm afraid. Perhaps Rafas demands could not possibly  be met.  I am beginning to believe that Rafa has known for some time where his future lay and I wish him well with it. 

I hate Ashley and everything he stands for and hope he sells sooner rather than later.

The more I hear about this the more I wonder.  I loved Rafa and what he was building here, his connection to the people and the city.

But obviously negotiations with the Chinese have been underway for a long time.  I just wonder what his demands and aspirations really were for NUFC.  He has made it known about his 'project' and long term plans etc,. but Ashley doesn't do long term plans, he is a quick buck man and all of the investment that is required/ talked about would take years to recoup. Just not Ashleys style I'm afraid. Perhaps Rafas demands could not possibly  be met.  I am beginning to believe that Rafa has known for some time where his future lay and I wish him well with it. 

I hate Ashley and everything he stands for and hope he sells sooner rather than later.

He had the right to demand a fit for purpose training ground and to be able to improve team to fight at other end of table. In background he has lined up a opportunity in case he doesn't get what he wanted. Don't blame him at all as why stay and be frustrated when you can do something else, he always had the power over Ashley due to his stature in the game which is why next manager will be a puppet as that's what the fat one wants.

Guest Gonzo

I fully support Rafa’s decision but I don’t feel sorry for him like I did the day it was announced.

He knew what he was doing and the reality is that he strung them along for those last two months or from whenever that meeting with Ashley was.

I fully support Rafa’s decision but I don’t feel sorry for him like I did the day it was announced.

He knew what he was doing and the reality is that he strung them along for those last two months or from whenever that meeting with Ashley was.

That’s not the reality at all. :lol: strung them along ffs

Read Caulkin’s article

Fair play to Rafa.

In my opinion Ashley thought Rafa would buckle and sign the deal they put to him on May 13th/14th, presumably signing it in the final week of his contract. The prior weekend Charnley e-mails Rafa and asks if he's signing the contract or what? Rafa tells him of course not, I told you that back in May. Ashley's fuming and the statement comes out on the Monday.

This is solely on the club. They are running a multi-million pound business where once a year they can be relegated away from their main revenue stream. They simply shouldn't have let it happen this way. Even if that meant agreeing to end Rafa's contract mutually in the middle of May.

Guest Gonzo

That’s not the reality at all. :lol: strung them along ffs

Read Caulkin’s article

I read it. He said he went to meet Ashley and that the offer was only slightly better. I get all that. Nowhere in Caulkins article does it say he’d been talking with the Chinese club for months, why did they leave that bit out?

And that’s the reality. It didn’t happen in the space of a week. The China links were there for months.

Doesn’t make him wrong for doing it. Club is still to blame but it just didn’t happen like we all initially thought.

Guest Gonzo

Fair play to Rafa.

In my opinion Ashley thought Rafa would buckle and sign the deal they put to him on May 13th/14th, presumably signing it in the final week of his contract. The prior weekend Charnley e-mails Rafa and asks if he's signing the contract or what? Rafa tells him of course not, I told you that back in May. Ashley's fuming and the statement comes out on the Monday.

This is solely on the club. They are running a multi-million pound business where once a year they can be relegated away from their main revenue stream. They simply shouldn't have let it happen this way. Even if that meant agreeing to end Rafa's contract mutually in the middle of May.

Agreed and this goes back to the bit about them not being happy with Charnley who had led them believe that the situation was under control.

The guy is so in over his head.

I reckon some people are in denial at just how bad our facilities are for a PL club even a championship one. It’s a complete state. The gym looks the same as the one I pay 20 quid a month for, should elite athletes be training there?

Absolutely correct elite athletes being paid millions a year and expected to train in facilities that part time players are used to. I mean just look at our training ground it looks like some youth club in some shithole estate. Couple that with aforementioned elite athletes having to use blow up paddling pools and council wheelie bins as ice baths and cool off facilities. I mean that's proper Wimbledon crazy gang shit from the 1970s and 80s

:lol: Aye it's embarrassing. They probably all have amazing home gyms and have to come to work to sit on shite from 20 years ago, like sports science isn't basically a concept that's only slightly older than the training ground its self :lol:

Anyone want to follow Rafa with Dalian Yifang? One Soccer have secured the rights to show the Chinese games. One Soccer is the coverage provider to the Canadian Premier League, and show everyone of their matches. You can subscribe for about £6 a month, with apps available for iOS, Android, and Apple TV, as well as a the ability to watch in browser.

Guest godzilla

Seems a bit of a contradiction to what was reported last week. According to this Rafa told the club a few days after the original meeting

[ftp=ftp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4[/ftp]

Seems a bit of a contradiction to what was reported last week. According to this Rafa told the club a few days after the original meeting

[ftp=ftp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7220445/Rafa-Benitez-reveals-told-Newcastle-bosses-leaving-meeting.html?fbclid=IwAR1nAWHbCRREViFLzyMxbqtxD_4kpymO_vUDI43k28T9IV6L5LRdi3740k4[/ftp]

FTP?

Guest godzilla

FTP?

It's below what I wrote?

That article also explains why Benitez oddly turned up at the training ground weeks before pre season began yet Keith Downie said at the time it was just a normal day at the office.  :rolleyes:

Guest godzilla

That article also explains why Benitez oddly turned up at the training ground weeks before pre season began yet Keith Downie said at the time it was just a normal day at the office.  :rolleyes:

Think everyone knew that he was clearing his desk, the article certainly contradicts what the previously reported timeline for when Rafa stated he was leaving. It's his words also so the club has known for 6 or 7 weeks