Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, ATF said:

People tend to get uptight about criticism of someone if there's a fair chance that that criticism will be snide or without honest intentions, as a lot of it has been with Rafa. If people had enough sense to see he did a very good job then there wouldn't be sensitivity over saying that this or that player didn't work, or saying that he made a judgement call on a player based on a lot of factors and maybe should have made a different one in hindsight. These things are barely even criticisms because they happen at all levels of football. It's because people want to pretend he did no better than Bruce or want to say he achieved the bare minimum (finishing 10th first season up with Joselu and Gayle as your striking options and Diame and Shelvey as your midfield is not and never has been the "bare minimum", and that's ignoring being promoted as champions in your first season after relegation which is always a very impressive achievement) that people get defensive. 

The £100m is a stain on Bruce not so much for the number but because the attacking players he has (Wilson, ASM, Willock alongside a settled Almiron), added to a squad who established themselves as a solid, organised, difficult to beat mid-table Premier League side, has yielded no improvement and in a number of ways a decline. 

I'm preaching to the choir mainly so whatever.

Yeah you are but it’s still good to read and it was really well put :thup:

11 hours ago, duo said:

Still gutting to see him at another Premier League club. C

It is, but it's also interesting. I would have always been left wondering how his methods would hold up given the chance to compete on an even level with the top clubs, and he wasn't going to get that chance here unless the takeover happened. 

At least now that will be answered. I don't think he'll be winning titles, but he'll get Everton challenging for the Champions League IMO, assuming the owners have got the balls to ignore their moronic fanbase. 

I’m not really gutted, I loved him but he’s gone.

Even when he was here, it was just a sticking plaster over the Ashley disaster. It was never like we were a great club again, although we were sometimes able to pretend we were. 

Hope he absolutely bosses it and Bruce gets sacked after losing 5-0 at home to Everton. 

The fact is that, purely in terms of league positions and points haul, there's barely any difference between Rafa and Bruce. So it boils down to personal opinions about the quality of the players that each manager had at their disposal. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on that score, but I don't see why anyone should be surprised that some of us don't go along with the extreme polarisation that goes on here - ie Rafa was the Messiah and Bruce is completely useless. 

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

The fact is that, purely in terms of league positions and points haul, there's barely any difference between Rafa and Bruce. So it boils down to personal opinions about the quality of the players that each manager had at their disposal. 

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on that score, but I don't see why anyone should be surprised that some of us don't go along with the extreme polarisation that goes on here - ie Rafa was the Messiah and Bruce is completely useless. 

We have a winner for one of the end of year awards!

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Sigh. A relief in a way to have it confirmed given we were always wondering if this would be the case. 

Kind of an open secret that he was high up on the consortiums wish list. Very very easy win for them to get him back, give him some money for players and watch us wank ourselves into a nostalgia frenzy.

In a way it’s more interesting to see where they go next, it’ll give us a nice indication of their true ambitions for the club. Will they go for broke and try and attract a big name or will they give a young ambitious manager like Howe a chance. 

5 hours ago, Cronky said:

The defensive options have remained pretty much the same for both of them but Bruce has had better attacking options.

I agree with with your other point, obviously Benitez is the better manager but the love in and free pass he gets from some on here is ridiculous. He's the only manager in my living memoy who has overseen 10 home league defeats in a single season.

4 hours ago, Cronky said:

I can't.... I mean I don't even.... what in the.... there's just no...

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bzvsap0h977s9oijcnx9

1 minute ago, Beth said:

The defensive options have remained pretty much the same for both of them but Bruce has had better attacking options.

I agree with with your other point, obviously Benitez is the better manager but the love in and free pass he gets from some on here is ridiculous. He's the only manager in my living memoy who has overseen 10 home league defeats in a single season.

‘love in’  ‘free pass’ :lol:

The fella was head and shoulders above most managers we’ve ever had.

His vision for the club was meticulous if he’s only been given some resources. 

Had to shop in the reject bins of the bargain basement for players.

And still we get hot takes like this. Now that’s ridiculous. 

28 minutes ago, LV said:

‘love in’  ‘free pass’ :lol:

The fella was head and shoulders above most managers we’ve ever had.

His vision for the club was meticulous if he’s only been given some resources. 

Had to shop in the reject bins of the bargain basement for players.

And still we get hot takes like this. Now that’s ridiculous. 

You're trying to reason with someone who genuinely rated both the Sammy Ameobi and Jack Colback. 

4 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

You're trying to reason with someone who genuinely rated both the Sammy Ameobi and Jack Colback. 

Yeah, good point. 

I shouldn’t let it get to me but I sometimes find it difficult to believe that people are so relentlessly thick that they actually think this kind of thing about Rafa and I end up just thinking that they are trying to be a WUM. 

1 hour ago, NEEJ said:

Please feel free to link to a post of me rating them. Sammy Ameobi was a joke who made his brother look like Pele. Colback wasn't as bad as the stick he got but being a ginger mackem was never going to do him any favours.....

Guest neesy111
5 hours ago, Cronky said:

Cronky absolutely missing the point as per usual.

9 minutes ago, Beth said:

Please feel free to link to a post of me rating them. Sammy Ameobi was a joke who made his brother look like Pele. Colback wasn't as bad as the stick he got but being a ginger mackem was never going to do him any favours.....

Colback didn't get stick because of his Mackem days, he got stick because he was fucking awful.

27 minutes ago, Beth said:

Apologies, I thought he'd quoted Cronky.

I'd argue Colback was deserving of far worse than the stick he actually got - he should have been nowhere near the club to begin with and stank the place out for years after being told to sling his hook.