Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, KaKa said:

It's fine man. Watching Benitez do well and shut up all his naysayers might be the only small enjoyment we'll be able to have this upcoming season.

Love Rafa but I'd get absolutely no enjoyment out of seeing Everton do well, like. If the clowns in the media and amongst our own fanbase can't appreciate how good of a job he did here that's on them. WE know, and nothing he does elsewhere will change that. 

He's got nothing to prove to anyone with what he's achieved in the game. The Scouse mackems will never properly appreciate or accept him regardless. I'm hoping it goes shite, he can walkaway with a good payoff and get himself a nice little gig abroad. 

16 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

Few more underneath 

Townsend had two months playing for Benitez at Newcastle and in only 10 games with the Spaniard scored three goals and provided two assists.

The player’s time at St James’ Park ushered in a period when – in his own view – he refined his game, adding industry and resilience to the flair and improvisation that captured the imagination when Townsend emerged as an influential figure for Tottenham.

“Rafa tried to get me to work off the ball, run in behind, come into the pockets, work back defensively.

“At Newcastle, he [Benitez] knew I could score from outside the box, he was trying to work on me running in behind without the ball and getting on the end of a pass to score goals, as opposed to doing it all myself.

“Hopefully, he can rediscover that goalscoring form I had at Newcastle and I can really start adding some numbers in both goalscoring and assists.”

This is what we will really miss. Rafa's no miracle worker, and you could argue his tactics are a bit outdated, but he really knows how to get the best out of good players. Townsend and Rondon were great examples. Everton fans will end up eating their words I reckon, but just as well Rafa's got a thicker skin than Bruce, because no doubt he'll have to endure some shit while he gets his methods instilled. 

It's a tough one. On the one hand I really don't want to see Everton do well, on the other, I really admire the way Rafa goes about his business, and will always be grateful that he tried to raise standards while he was here, so would like to see what he can do with a decent budget. Shame it wasn't at a more likeable club. 

• 2 weeks later...

He doesn't fit Rafa's system so is naturally unneeded, as the system is more important than any 1 player. He's a big name and the fans have that to cling on, but it was never going to last so long as Ancelotti wasn't manager. Replies are heavily toxic ofc

Guest HTT II

Once he has them up and running the fans will be on board with Rafa. He’s too good to fail as Ben noted. 

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Once he has them up and running the fans will be on board with Rafa. He’s too good to fail as Ben noted. 

As I said we will soon find out, just think the fact the support already don’t like him is massive. The problems with suspended player, their best player making noises of not being happy and his signings so far. As I said though just have to wait and see. Hope he does fail as can’t stand Everton and especially their supporters.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

As I said we will soon find out, just think the fact the support already don’t like him is massive. The problems with suspended player, their best player making noises of not being happy and his signings so far. As I said though just have to wait and see. Hope he does fail as can’t stand Everton and especially their supporters.

The thing with Rafa is he kind of feeds off the negativity of others or likes a battle of wills, hence why he stuck it out here as long as he did, again fans are fickle, win a few games, get them up the table and competing and they’ll soon forgive and forget. They already have a very very good setup with some very good players, tweak that team correctly which we all know is Rafa’s stamp and they will be a very hard team to beat and they have good attacking options so goals shouldn’t be a problem either. It will be sickening for me if they do well, because that could be us or should be us with a Rafa NUFC. Cheers Mike! I have no ill will against Everton, nor any desire to see them succeed, but I’d love Rafa to shut a few people up…

Edited by HTT II

Based on him getting a championship squad comfortable in the premiership during his time here, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a top 7 finish with the squad available to him at Everton. 

Guest HTT II

James after a decent start totally faded last season, he’s not got to grips physically at all with the league, but should he stick it out and Rafa wants him in his plans, he’ll no doubt excel or should do. 

Edited by HTT II

9 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

1000 votes so not huge. But big player over big (arguable after Newcastle + Dalian to some) manager

Always ignore votes like that to be honest as you always get other club’s supporters voting. Wouldn’t be surprised if a good few of our fans voted either. 

Edited by et tu brute

Is he a 'good guy' though?  Does he scratch his bollocks on the sidelines or does he have the door opening while he is having a shit talking to a new signing?

No? Fuck him.

Rafa teams start slower than they finish. It's been the case since he was at Valencia. Functional but underwhelming at times in early months but prepared so they peak around March/April. Go through pretty much every job he's ever had and you'll find that pattern. His staying power may well be his best asset.

If I had to predict how it will work out for him this season, I would say that the first few months may be quite ugly - some minor improvements to the team but inconsistent results and potentially an increasingly hostile crowd. If he's allowed to ride that out, they'll come into the last few months fit and prepared for the run-in while other teams fall away. How good/bad both these parts are will determine where they finish.

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Surprising lack of decent signings for them so far imo, thought they'd let him have a good crack at it from the off.

Don't they already have a very good squad? Might be a case of they just need to fine tune it so it fits his style now.