Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

17 hours ago, Numbers said:

Everton fans moaning their tits off about signing Rondon. Fucking depressing.

Same thing happened on here too with him, unfortunately. The gladiator will win them over.

I mean he's backing up DCL for goodness sake, who always plays. Not like he's going into the first team. He'll do a lot more than Moise Kean did for them, or what King did last season.

17 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think it was different here though. We’d only seen him in a Pulis team. They’ve seen how good he was for us 

This is true, but still thought the criticism was harsh at the time. He was way better than any of our other strikers were and was always going to bring a lot more to the table with his presence and heading ability alone.

Man, Rondon was fantastic. Still can't believe no one else picked him up after that season with us.

“When I came to Newcastle, they gave me the plans for the new training ground, I was talking to the architect about changing a few things,” he said. “And after three years… they painted the walls.

“If you want to attract players, it’s about the facilities, the contract, the city, the way you treat them, the way you treat the agents. If you want to keep them happy, you keep improving. If you want to have a good atmosphere, a real bond, you have to give players the right facilities for when they hang around together. We had that at a lot of clubs. It’s just the way.”

So that makes two entities at Everton that I look upon with genuine fondness vs the one at Newcastle (ASM). I will never stop supporting Newcastle but I'm so passive whilst we are the way we are that I'm genuinely tempted to get my fill this year by watching Everton. I love football but Newcastle actively makes me not want to watch any of it whatsoever and it's been so many years that I legitimately feel like I'm falling out of touch.

I think the last time I full-on celebrated a goal for us was when Rondon scored against Liverpool, however I feel like it was more in support of him personally than the club. At the expense of using a PFM phrase, he's a proper striker and enjoyable to watch.

28 minutes ago, Lenny said:

So that makes two entities at Everton that I look upon with genuine fondness vs the one at Newcastle (ASM). I will never stop supporting Newcastle but I'm so passive whilst we are the way we are that I'm genuinely tempted to get my fill this year by watching Everton. I love football but Newcastle actively makes me not want to watch any of it whatsoever and it's been so many years that I legitimately feel like I'm falling out of touch.

Spent a while today trying to get this point across to my mate. 

Telling me I've changed allegiance because I watch the fed instead of Newcastle :lol:

No, I'm just getting my fix. Bring the venkys in to Newcastle and I'll be fully invested again, anything other than the current zombie that is nufc and I'd be back. 

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

Once we got him up to speed, Rondon was brilliant for us. Loved watching him play

He’s not a clinical goalscorer in any way shape or form, but he’s such a brilliant centre-forward and is great at what he does in that role. And he seemed such a great character and a professional too. I hope he does really well at Everton, and Rafa of course. Everton as a club mean nowt to me, I neither hate them or like them, they are irrelevant really, but I’d always want Rafa to succeed wherever he was at. Plus it would shut so many people up, sadly a big number on our side who regard Rafa as a greedy bastard and Bruce having done a better job. I hope they fucking spank us at SJP and at Goodison too.

It's a really smart signing . Can provide cover for Calvert Lewin whilst also being able to play alongside him should the match or situation require it. An unselfish grafting player, good at holding the ball up and allowing deeper teammates to get up the park and he wins a decent amount of free kicks. Probably help bring Calvert Lewin on a bit as well .  

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Very smart management by Rafa as well IIRC. Eased him into form perfectly. 

I remember criticising the signing of Rondon when Rafa refused to play him for the first couple of months citing lack of fitness. I suppose this is the difference between a punter and a professional, 

That said, I can think of a few managers who would have rushed him into the side early, including I suspect our current one. Not everyone is as single minded and sure of their methods as Rafa.