Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I woke up at 2.00am this morning and remembered that Rafa's team had played so I had to get up to see the result. Delighted to see the result and sat there imagining Rafa popping his glasses back in his top pocket. Bruce must squirm when he sees the results and positions in the league table. The mighty Rafa

Just watched the highlights.  Apparently they got battered for the first 50-odd minutes but they looked so incisive when Rafa switched it and they got going.

We'd have done fuck all apart from bring Hendrick on for Hayden and limped to a 0-2 defeat.

9 hours ago, huss9 said:

Richard Keys writing on his personal blog – 13 September 2021:

‘Who said this? ‘My life as a manager has normally been with teams where we did not have too much money and we had to sell players to bring in players. As I have said before, we are lucky to have owners who want to spend money and we have to find a way to do it properly’.

This guy has managed Valencia, Liverpool, Real Madrid (for 6 months) Inter (for 6 months) Chelsea (temporarily) Napoli and Newcastle – where he spent £102m on 18 players before a successful tilt at the championship.

You’ve got it. I know you have. As we all know, he left Tyneside for a ‘long term project’ in China, (where they print money) but was back after 18 months looking for a job. The one he got surprised a few people – but not me. He’d been trying like a bear to get it for years. I hope he does it well because he’s with a club I like a lot – but come on Rafa. You’re having a laugh. Never had money?

At which of the above list of teams didn’t he have money? He’s always had money. The problem has been that he’s always wanted more money – more than the owners of those clubs would trust him with.

Now he’s in the last chance saloon he’s got to behave. There isn’t another one for him after Everton – so he isn’t looking to fall out with the owners like he did Mike Ashley.’

What a pathetic, jealous, wretch of a human he is. 

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Just watched the highlights.  Apparently they got battered for the first 50-odd minutes but they looked so incisive when Rafa switched it and they got going.

We'd have done fuck all apart from bring Hendrick on for Hayden and limped to a 0-2 defeat.

I watched the full game, they didn’t get battered at all, they were just overrun/outnumbered by Burnley, once Rafa made the switch Everton ran amok and could have had 5 or 6 easily. 

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I watched the full game, they didn’t get battered at all, they were just overrun/outnumbered by Burnley, once Rafa made the switch Everton ran amok and could have had 5 or 6 easily. 

Yeah, I thought the same.

You could argue his approach was a smart one too, because the 3 centrebacks neutralised Wood and Barnes to start.

As Burnley then began to tire he added the extra man in midfield to take full control of the game and completely play them off the park.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

You could argue his approach was a smart one too, because the 3 centrebacks neutralised Wood and Barnes to start.

As Burnley then began to tire he added the extra man in midfield to take full control of the game and completely play them off the park.

Aye, a Rafa masterclass!

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I do think you can say the back five didn't work for them last night. The thinking was obvious but without Calvert-Lewin they lacked the aerial outball and they were too passive and deep to put the squeeze on Burnley (also without a ball playing centre back against Burnley's press). Part players, part manager for not foreseeing the possible system breakdowns. The change though was very clever - I doubt many were thinking Gomes on for Godfrey and play 4-3-3. Created a 3v2 in midfield on transition, allowed Townsend and Gray to play higher and more inside, and freed Doucoure as well.

This stat is telling.

45 minutes ago, ATF said:

I do think you can say the back five didn't work for them last night. The thinking was obvious but without Calvert-Lewin they lacked the aerial outball and they were too passive and deep to put the squeeze on Burnley (also without a ball playing centre back against Burnley's press). Part players, part manager for not foreseeing the possible system breakdowns. The change though was very clever - I doubt many were thinking Gomes on for Godfrey and play 4-3-3. Created a 3v2 in midfield on transition, allowed Townsend and Gray to play higher and more inside, and freed Doucoure as well.

This stat is telling.

Oh, absolutely. The back 5 certainly didn't work for Everton going forward, and I'm sure Rafa was hoping they would be more effective than they were in that respect.

However, I'm pretty sure the priority for him in lining up that way was to stifle their front two with the three centre backs to start with and that was largely achieved.

6 hours ago, St1pe said:

Wonder if Everton fans are still scoffing at Benitez signing Gray and Townsend. 

£1.7m for the pair of them, and you can chuck Rondon in as well for a freebie. 

Oooh...terrible business that. They must all be over 30. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Oh, absolutely. The back 5 certainly didn't work for Everton going forward, and I'm sure Rafa was hoping they would be more effective than they were in that respect.

However, I'm pretty sure the priority for him in lining up that way was to stifle their front two with the three centre backs to start with and that was largely achieved.

They stifled the life out of their let’s be honest quite dangerous attack in terms of how they play the long ball, after Rafa made his change, however, they literally had nowt to go off, their forwards were completely cut off and ran out of steam, not great to watch for the first half, but tactically exactly what was required and that’s why they win so comprehensively in the end, again it could have been 5/6 easily. And Dacoure, what a player!

25 minutes ago, HTT II said:

They stifled the life out of their let’s be honest quite dangerous attack in terms of how they play the long ball, after Rafa made his change, however, they literally had nowt to go off, their forwards were completely cut off and ran out of steam, not great to watch for the first half, but tactically exactly what was required and that’s why they win so comprehensively in the end, again it could have been 5/6 easily. And Dacoure, what a player!

Dacoure did an interview in the Times on Monday before the game praising Rafa's coaching. He was raving about the attention to detail and how he was making him a better player. I was going to post it here but honestly it was just making me depressed reading it. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Dacoure did an interview in the Times on Monday before the game praising Rafa's coaching. He was raving about the attention to detail and how he was making him a better player. I was going to post it here but honestly it was just making me depressed reading it. 

Aye I saw some of the comments, meanwhile we have Shelvey praising Bruce… night and day!

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

The season has barely started and Doucoure already feels like his individual game has been much improved, never mind the rest of the team on the whole.

Our manager still needs more time to teach the team to come out of their own half.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The season has barely started and Doucoure already feels like his individual game has been much improved, never mind the rest of the team on the whole.

Our manager still needs more time to teach the team to come out of their own half.

Our manager is busy slating Ryder and the Chron. Great times.

Edited by nufcjb

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

May be remembering this wrong but weren’t we always better in the second half under Rafa?

Rafa's team are almost always better in the second half. There is a final in 2005 which is a testament to that. His greatest gift as a manager is to sense the flow of the game and make adjustments in the 45-60th  minute. Of course, that only works when he has good options on the bench. 

I can't think of many of the really remarkable matches with us where the second half wasn't the most important. ManU, ManC, Everton, Norwich, Brighton, a lot of narrow home wins (Palace, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Huddersfield x3) - all matches that were decided by second half winners. There'll be exceptions obviously but yeah I think it's a pretty fair conclusion that his teams are stronger in the second half. But then we all know his game management is arguably his strongest attribute. 

Strike from Townsend was an absolute peach.

If Gray keeps up this level of play I wonder if he doesn’t push himself into the national team picture.

I’m genuinely more invested in how Everton are getting on than NUFC. :lol: