Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

FFP can't be very pleased as things are "Everton have posted losses of almost £265m in three years" https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/11/everton-make-annual-loss-of-1399m-as-covid-19-takes-toll

"Everton suffered a staggering loss of £139.9m in the 2019-20 financial year – £67.3m as a result of Covid-19’s impact on football – and have proposed a new share issue to the majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri, worth £250m to cover the club’s continued losses."

"Over the past three financial years Everton have posted combined losses of almost £265m (£139.9m in 2019-20, £111.8m in 2018-19 and £13.1m in 2017-18). That breaches Premier League profit and sustainability rules allowing for a loss of £105m over three years, although that is a pre-Covid figure and restrictions have been relaxed as a result of the pandemic." Same article

21 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Damarari Grey and Andros Townsend man. Are they supposed to improve them? Are they all that much better than Bernard and Iwobi?

Rafa is tactically one of the best, but he's some man for wasting money like.

:lol:

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

If he was working under Ashley maybe, i'd be wanting a bit better than that with some money and ambition.

Nah two more than decent players…

45 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Damarari Grey and Andros Townsend man. Are they supposed to improve them? Are they all that much better than Bernard and Iwobi?

Rafa is tactically one of the best, but he's some man for wasting money like. 

Can't speak for his time elsewhere but he certainly didn't waste money here. There were some errors but on the whole he made his paltry (certainly after promotion) budgets go a very long way. He bought a Championship-winning team, then did what he could with the money he had to provide moderate upgrades for two PL campaigns. We spent 'properly' once (Almiron) and that turned out to be a great signing which all but transformed the team. 

You've just got to look at the recent 'good/bad signings' threads - and the associated trips down memory lane that such discussions prompt - to be reminded of how many good signings he made compared to bad ones, and his track record of signings compared to other Newcastle managers. 

17 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

No @Yorkie its not.

Was meant for the contrary mary above your post.

Me?

If we get the takeover and brought players like that in i would hardly be jumping for joy.

"Squad player" is a bit of a shit term imo, if you want to be a top team you need strength in depth, not just sign any cunt to make up the numbers.

It looks good business to me. Begovic and Townsend are free agents and Gray is supposedly costing them £1.5m. They've wasted so much money on worse players in the last five or so years. Bernard's supposedly on £120k a week! They've released Bolasie. Trim down the squad of players like Bernard, Tosun, Iwobi, Delph, amongst others, then you have three improvements for a fraction of the price, whilst simultaneously cutting your wage budget.

Bigger problem for Everton is whether they have the resources to make three or four transfers to improve their first eleven, because the talk suggests that they don't.

5 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Me?

If we get the takeover and brought players like that in i would hardly be jumping for joy.

"Squad player" is a bit of a shit term imo, if you want to be a top team you need strength in depth, not just sign any cunt to make up the numbers.

I wouldnt be jumping for joy either tbh.

But Townsend is a decent player, lots of experience in the PL  - capable of scoring the odd goal.

Depending on the fee and the wages, he could be a good buy.

The thing about Rafa is he gets half decent players performing briliantly as a collective. Therefore signing the likes of Townsend (still a very good player btw) might not blow people's socks off but you just know that collectively they will have Everton easily pushing for a top 6 place.

16 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I wouldnt be jumping for joy either tbh.

But Townsend is a decent player, lots of experience in the PL  - capable of scoring the odd goal.

Depending on the fee and the wages, he could be a good buy.

Well, he's alright i suppose, would be an underwhelming signing for a team wanting to go places imo.

Edited by ToonArmy1892