Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Should prob remember that before Armstrong was sold he'd spent half a season on loan in the Champ and scored 1 (and 6 in a full season before that) then dropped down to League One where he looked good. Not sure it was clear then he justified a longer contract to wait around and see. Though the fact both him and Toney were missed should raise some questions.

Judging by their forum (I’m sad, I know) they seem to be on board with Rafa now. “He gets the area”, “tactically changing things at half-time to win the game” “staying behind for ages to personally thank the fans” etc.

Proving what a class act he his. They don’t deserve him, man.

2 hours ago, David Edgar said:

It was a quality finish by Armstrong.  Lad is a prem quality player that Benitez threw away.  Let's not ignore that.

Maybe Southampton should sign Darlow too. They’d not survive this season with him in goal and Armstrong up front.

18 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

He may well prove to be but you can't make that statement after one game.

Once he’s sent through by Adams there, it’s harder not to score. Can see Southampton finishing bottom 5, possibly relegated, mainly because of the downgrade from Ings to Armstrong.

12 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

What was the tactical change out of interest?

Doucoure seemed to have been pushed further forward, the passing was quicker and Digne appeared to have been in the final third more.

Whether you can say these were “tactical changes” or just a change in mindset after going behind; either way Rafa deserves credit for getting them going for the second period of play.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Once he’s sent through by Adams there, it’s harder not to score. Can see Southampton finishing bottom 5, possibly relegated, mainly because of the downgrade from Ings to Armstrong.

They got 14 points in their last 21 games of last season with Ings there and it will be mainly due to Armstrong if they get relegated? Clearly on a massive downward trajectory from last season

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Doucoure seemed to have been pushed further forward, the passing was quicker and Digne appeared to have been in the final third more.

Whether you can say these were “tactical changes” or just a change in mindset after going behind; either way Rafa deserves credit for getting them going for the second period of play.

I saw a headline about Doucoure talking about his more attacking role, wonder if he's going to be Rafa's Diame.

33 minutes ago, McCormick said:

When Rafa was with us we were often poor in the first half but came out well in the second. I think it was because he was largely defensive in the first half and then we’d play more openly in the second.

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

What was the tactical change out of interest?

Rafa:“At half-time we changed the position of the centre-backs and the position of Richarlison. But you always have to have a little bit of luck.”

Edited by RS

I want him to fail tbh. I like him, but not that much, he’s not Keegan or Robson level. I’d like him to leave Everton ASAP and go manage in a country where I can comfortably wish him well.

1 minute ago, Kimbo said:

I want him to fail tbh. I like him, but not that much, he’s not Keegan or Robson level. I’d like him to leave Everton ASAP and go manage in a country where I can comfortably wish him well.

See this is it for me, he absolutely would have been had he been allowed.  The guy made me like football & Newcastle again after the Pardew years and subsequent fallout, just as big in my eyes.  Such a shame.

I'm pretty sure Rafa would admit he shouldn't be seen on Keegan or Robson level. He said as much when he was asked something along those lines around the start of the Championship season if I recall correctly. He never ended up with the chance to be thought of quite like that.

Good decisions yesterday. He switched the positions of Gray and Richarlison at half time and, interestingly, switched the sides the centre backs were playing on. Iwobi coming on with about 20-25 minutes to go also seemed to have an impact. No panic subs or random change of formation.

Edited by ATF

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One on ones are harder than they look, having time to think about what to do isn't always a good thing when it comes to finishing.

Don't get me wrong you should still score from there but it isn't a formality, look at Traore when he went through.

You see loads of PL players mess up when one on one with the keeper.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

Guest HTT II
25 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I want him to do well to spite the Everton fans.

And the media and the daft cunts in our own fanbase who reckon Bruce has done a better job, hope they twat the hell out of us at SJP.

Guest HTT II
23 minutes ago, ATF said:

I'm pretty sure Rafa would admit he shouldn't be seen on Keegan or Robson level. He said as much when he was asked something along those lines around the start of the Championship season if I recall correctly. He never ended up with the chance to be thought of quite like that.

Good decisions yesterday. He switched the positions of Gray and Richarlison at half time and, interestingly, switched the sides the centre backs were playing on. Iwobi coming on with about 20-25 minutes to go also seemed to have an impact. No panic subs or random change of formation.

He is the Spanish KK/SBR/Hughton for me, managers I adore, recognise as symbolic of what is/was great about our club. All legends and great men. KK and SBR in particular obviously rank higher for on-field stuff, but they are all equal to me as men and as former custodians of our club as managers in terms of that symbolism between fans, club, city, ambition, hope and pride. Love them all me!

Guest HTT II

Gray and Townsend will do more for Everton under Rafa than many of their previous expensive players like Walcott, Bolasie et al. Shrewd signings for pennies. Well jel…