Jump to content

Everton manager Rafa Benítez


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Everton fans are not happy with Rafa's first three signings 

 

I wouldn't be either, but then I was properly miffed when we signed Ciaran Clark, Daryl Murphy and Grant Hanley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Beth said:

I'm not arguing the fact he did a decent job here, 7/10 ish overall. What I really don't get about the majority on here is they seem to regard him as some kind of messiah who would have got us top 4 if he'd been given the time. No, he wouldn't and he's gone, lets all move on ffs.

 

I think he'll get Everton challenging for top 4 if they continue signing good quality players. I know their mong fans are supposedly unhappy with his first three signings, but Townsend is vastly underrated IMO. Rafa had him doing really well in his short time here, I can see his value going up again this season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If dusty Steve and his merry band of apologists didn't feel the need constantly use Rafa's time here as a yardstick, then there would be far less discussion about him.

 

Frankly those who can't see the difference between the two are either being deliberately obtuse or they must not watch many games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If dusty Steve and his merry band of apologists didn't feel the need constantly use Rafa's time here as a yardstick, then there would be far less discussion about him.

 

Frankly those who can't see the difference between the two are either being deliberately obtuse or they must not watch many games.

I agree on the current joke of a manager but at the same time I think that was partly fuelled by the fans’ reactions at first. He’s just completely lacking in class and continued the comparisons rather than trying to make amends for being clueless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

I agree on the current joke of a manager but at the same time I think that was partly fuelled by the fans’ reactions at first. He’s just completely lacking in class and continued the comparisons rather than trying to make amends for being clueless. 

 

That's why he's a shit manager tbh, he gets triggered far too easily. He was still taking swipes at "the mighty Rafa" 18 months after he'd gone instead of getting on with the job and shutting up critics with results. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If dusty Steve and his merry band of apologists didn't feel the need constantly use Rafa's time here as a yardstick, then there would be far less discussion about him.

 

Frankly those who can't see the difference between the two are either being deliberately obtuse or they must not watch many games.

 

 

Didn't help when his mates in the media like Shearer came out on MOTD with, "They're 8 points better off than this stage last season under Rafa" type bollocks either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In for a penny, I suppose.

 

I do think there's a tendency amongst supporters of our club to elevate particular individuals to such heroic status, that not only are they immune from any criticism, but any comment that isn't a statement of total devotion gets treated as blasphemy. That really isn't an exaggeration, and I'm thinking here of Keegan, Shearer and now Rafa. Every now and then, that becomes dangerous, and the club as a whole can suffer. 

 

Most of the time, I accept that state of affairs, but every now and then the frustration gets the better of me, unfortunately with the same results. Do you really want this site to be an echo chamber?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more than happy to elevate Keegan, Rafa and Shearer.  Every club has their heroes

 

Shearer hasn't been singing on the same sheet as the rest of us on a few occassions recently (and has been criticised on here for it) but he's still probably the greatest player to play for our club

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s ok to disagree with Shearer and still love him for the legend he is. Not being able to separate that is an issue I’m sure all fans have with their clubs and legends. The legend takes one position and everyone thinks they are terrible for it. Life ain’t that simple. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, manager in making solid squad signings that don’t cost the Earth shocker. Everton have spent fucking fortunes on absolute dross for most of it and have suffered as a result, he’s strengthening their squad without blowing loads which will benefit them massively. I’m well jel :'(

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cronky said:

In for a penny, I suppose.

 

I do think there's a tendency amongst supporters of our club to elevate particular individuals to such heroic status, that not only are they immune from any criticism, but any comment that isn't a statement of total devotion gets treated as blasphemy. That really isn't an exaggeration, and I'm thinking here of Keegan, Shearer and now Rafa. Every now and then, that becomes dangerous, and the club as a whole can suffer. 

 

Most of the time, I accept that state of affairs, but every now and then the frustration gets the better of me, unfortunately with the same results. Do you really want this site to be an echo chamber?

 

You said that the two managers had similar points hauls so, when comparing them, it all boils down to opinions on each manager's squads. 

 

You got a bad reaction to that; not because it wasn't a 'statement of devotion' or because there's a dangerous prerequisite that you must have certain opinions; but because it completely misses the point as to why Rafa was loved and Bruce was hated. Football's more than points hauls and maths; it's about hope and identity and occasions and characters to whom you feel a connection. 

 

If you're purely looking at the maths, a net result of 13th with circa 45 points is unimpressive regardless; so 'what it boils down to' is the journey to that result, and the aspirations about what might follow. That's where the comparisons between Rafa and Bruce are made in the minds of most people here, but virtually no one in sports media. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rafa is getting pace in to a very slow Everton side on the cheap. They desperately need more quick players. He will get that side balanced, solid and playing better. It's inevitable. The blues fans doubting him will be quiet when they see their side doing well second half of next season once his methods are bedded in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can definitely recall Townsend (Jan '17), Gray (not sure, but I think it was around the time Staveley first came on the scene) and McNeil (often) were all linked with us under Rafa. Gonna be frustrating watching him sign all the players he wanted to sign for us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

 

You said that the two managers had similar points hauls so, when comparing them, it all boils down to opinions on each manager's squads. 

 

You got a bad reaction to that; not because it wasn't a 'statement of devotion' or because there's a dangerous prerequisite that you must have certain opinions; but because it completely misses the point as to why Rafa was loved and Bruce was hated. Football's more than points hauls and maths; it's about hope and identity and occasions and characters to whom you feel a connection. 

 

If you're purely looking at the maths, a net result of 13th with circa 45 points is unimpressive regardless; so 'what it boils down to' is the journey to that result, and the aspirations about what might follow. That's where the comparisons between Rafa and Bruce are made in the minds of most people here, but virtually no one in sports media. 


The thing is, if Benitez had spent £100m over two seasons and showed no improvement whatsoever in terms of performances and league finishes,  after already consolidating the team in 2 seasons, he’d have rightly been getting stick.
 

It’s one thing getting mid 40s after a promotion and consolidation with not much of a Premier League budget, to then takeover a consolidated Premier League side that was showing the makings of a top 10 side with a few good additions, and be in exactly the same position in the league with no improvement in performances and be as far away from a top half finish as we have without actually being relegated, is shocking.

 

 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, when people compare the two, I think of where we’d be now if Benitez was still here and had spent the same amount of money. I don’t think for one minute we’d have merely matched the first two seasons, at the very least we’d have been in that group with Villa & Leeds with 50+ points and that’s being negative.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cronky said:

In for a penny, I suppose.

 

I do think there's a tendency amongst supporters of our club to elevate particular individuals to such heroic status, that not only are they immune from any criticism, but any comment that isn't a statement of total devotion gets treated as blasphemy. That really isn't an exaggeration, and I'm thinking here of Keegan, Shearer and now Rafa. Every now and then, that becomes dangerous, and the club as a whole can suffer. 

 

Most of the time, I accept that state of affairs, but every now and then the frustration gets the better of me, unfortunately with the same results. Do you really want this site to be an echo chamber?

 

The post before yours was criticizing Shearer :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

They are after McNeil as well now from Burnley.

 

I really like that kid a lot. Would be a great move for him career wise as I don't think Burnley's style allows him to really shine as much as he could.

 

If he gets a move to Everton under Rafa could see him begin to make some headway as an international.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...