Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/oct/22/rafael-benitez-demands-improvement-at-everton-to-reflect-money-invested

Rafael Benítez has said he wants improvement from every department at Everton because the club should “be in a much better position” with the money they have spent.

Benítez started an analysis of all departments on his appointment in June and has demanded wholesale improvement to reflect Farhad Moshiri’s lavish investment.

“I have a lot of confidence in my staff but if we have to do something then we will do it,” he said. “One thing I want to be very clear is that I am trying to improve every single department. The fans, the club, the owners who have spent a lot of money, they are desperate to be competitive.

“I said in one press conference that eighth [place] means nothing to me and I really mean that. I don’t want to stay here and try to survive. I want to be sure I can improve anything with my experience, my view and my staff.”

Benítez’s demand includes recruitment. “The main thing will be the players,” he said. “I am not stupid. It depends on the players what we do on the pitch. I want to be sure every player understands what it means to play for this club and go on the pitch in front of the fans and give everything. They are doing that and I think the fans appreciate the effort of the players. But it has to be the same in each department.

“When you see the money spent the club has to be in a much better position. You have to compete against all the teams and it is not straight away that you start winning games and doing everything right. I will be the first to make mistakes, but I have experience and I want to win. How can we win? By improving 5%-10% in each department.”

Wish he'd been unemployed when the takeover happened. Would've made reengaging so much more straightforward.

He was ours. That's what is lacking atm, despite the excitement. Someone who feels truly like they're part of the club. 

Hopefully the new man can fill that void. 

Shocking result, but he will turn them around eventually, this is an anomaly, he does have it in him, but judge him on his overall record. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

The the last 3 goals Everton conceded today were shocking. 

He’ll be fuming at that. Players just threw the towel in. Losses are inevitable at some stage but the manner of it is what matters.

He spent less than 2m during their whole transfer window, you’d wonder if he’s walking into another situation where he’s being restricted. He’ll suffer through it but it won’t end well.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

He’ll be fuming at that. Players just threw the towel in. Losses are inevitable at some stage but the manner of it is what matters.

He spent less than 2m during their whole transfer window, you’d wonder if he’s walking into another situation where he’s being restricted. He’ll suffer through it but it won’t end well.

Just as importantly hasn't really had DCL or Rich fit all season and lost another two players in James and the fiddler.  He's had a tough time of it there because a lot of what they spaffed their money on was bang average imo.

Before today's game he had them one point off 4th. It's a freak result, they could have won at 2 - 1 and so it's a shock to collapse and ship 5. His methods take time and he had a good start, he will be fuming and working with them to pick every error apart to tighten it up. 

Bruce would have given them days off instead.

Edited by hakka
poo bum willy

Everton supporting friend from work is livid. Was never comfortable with Rafa going there but says that has now had enough and blames Rafa for performance today, Rondon's signing and subsequent poor displays. Wants him oot!

Tried reasoning, give him time, his methods take a while to imbed etc but not having it.

Wonder if these views are typical of Toffee fans in general?

1 minute ago, George Bailey said:

Everton supporting friend from work is livid. Was never comfortable with Rafa going there but says that has now had enough and blames Rafa for performance today, Rondon's signing and subsequent poor displays. Wants him oot!

Tried reasoning, give him time, his methods take a while to imbed etc but not having it.

He's a Liverpool legend tbf, they were never going to accept him unquestioningly. I think in his desperation to get back on Merseyside, he's made a rod for his own back. If he's backed properly, he'll no doubt turn it around, just not sure they will ever really take to his style of football. 

If I was Rafa I would prefer to come back here where he is adored by the fans and will have an incredible project and journey over the next few years. I know he loves Liverpool but he just won't be loved there whereas we will sing his name every match. Surely he knows this and must be a little tempted. He would also be the ideal manager at this moment as he can sort our defence out :thup:

4 hours ago, George Bailey said:

They definitely aren't happy, lol.