Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Seem to remember in the 0-1 that Gayle missed a pretty good chance in the last couple of mins too (diving header?).

I don’t see how anyone could question the tactics Rafa used in those games. It was clear that Man City were a significantly better footballing side and therefore the only option was to stay in the game as long as possible and hope for a mistake. The 2-1 the following season being the classic example.

22 hours ago, madras said:

For much that season I didn't see a well drilled defence, I saw a back 7 with 2 centre mids playing on the toes of the centre halves and loads of last ditch defending. A deliberate plan of holding in there and hoping to snatch something. I'd rather him than Bruce but the way some go on about Rafa in here is like a personality cult.

JFC

Just had a look on GOT - there’s a 40 page thread on top of the normal one for him about who they to replace him with!

I think it might be his last game tonight - if Liverpool go a few in front and the away end start singing his name then the fury levels of those lot in the home end who already hate him will reach nes levels!

We all said he was nuts to go there and he must be gutted that the takeover went through just a few months later!

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

Still maintain that if he's given the time and he gets his players back that they'd be my tip to nab 6th with a late run of form. Starting to doubt he'll be given the opportunity though.

Absolutely no chance. Lost the dressing room as well as the fans imo

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Doesn't look like the Everton players are buying into Rafa's methods. His sides are shipping goals left right and centre, and that's not what you would expect from one of his sides. 

I'll always love him for his time here and I think the Everton fan's reaction early in the season was all a bit OTT.

But at some point [narrator: "here thomas wraps up the win for Worst Poster 2021"] we may have to consider he's entered The Mourinho Zone - where once top managers are unable to replicate success and the line of saying it's all the players' fault wears thin.

Reckon when you're unpopular right from the off you've very little chance of success. Not many manage to overcome that (some do for a bit :pardsgrin:). Rafa managed that situation at Chelsea, but add in Everton's deeper problems and things not clicking with the players for some reason. He's fucked now. Given everything was essential he had a decent first half season.

1 minute ago, thomas said:

I'll always love him for his time here and I think the Everton fan's reaction early in the season was all a bit OTT.

But at some point [narrator: "here thomas wraps up the win for Worst Poster 2021"] we may have to consider he's entered The Mourinho Zone - where once top managers are unable to replicate success and the line of saying it's all the players' fault wears thin.

I don't think it helps that he followed Ancelotti who had some success with a much more adventurous style. Managers like Rafa and Mourinho know their stuff, but it's only going to work if the players are into it 100%. This Everton squad already look a bit sick of it. 

Just now, Dokko said:

worst run in 22 years.

He's racking up the records. Fair play.

Would that be the Mike Walker team?

What they did then is bring in Joe Royle and launch it to the big lads packing the box for set-plays, were basic, ugly, brutal to watch. Keegan described them as 'dogs of war' when they kicked lumps out of us and wasted time from the start.

Sounds like a job for Bruce to me

12 minutes ago, jack j said:

Absolutely no chance. Lost the dressing room as well as the fans imo

They're 6 points off 6th. It's absolutely possible. Not sure about the dressing room but hard to argue with him having lost (if he ever had) the fans. Stand by what I say if he gets the time and gets his players back, but that's a massive if.

19 minutes ago, thomas said:

Mourinho zone? This is flattery. He is in the Bruce zone. We do not have to euphemise because he is liked here. Guy is going to rightfully be sacked for taking a side that was challenging for Europe last season and sending them hurtling towards the relegation zone in haste. They were not even able to progress in the League Cup. Nothing in Mourinho's career has been anything like this disaster at Everton. 

He should just take whatever funds they will give him to go away, take a rest, and find new opportunity to start over. He is a proven manager; it will not be an issue for him. 

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi