Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Some criticism came his way on motd last night at how he set them up and the general lack of coherence in the team, and his interview was a bit disquieting. We know he`s a driven obsessive individual but fuck knows what happened to his self awareness when he accepted this gig

Rafa is a Liverpool shaped peg in an Everton shaped hole, he was never going to fit. On the face of it he hasn't done well there for a multitude of reasons. The worst part about it is the damage he has done to his professional image. I hope he bounces back and doesn't just fade away after this.

10 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

DCL scored 16 league goals last season. That is a huge loss tbf. Certainly not saying Rafa is blameless but their squad is poor. See how the rest of season goes, and make a judgement then.

They most certainly aren't. Wholeheartedly agree about DCL, but there's still at least a higher mid table capable group of players there. They beat a decent Arsenal team a few weeks ago.

Edited by The Bonk

Just a theory, but in the time since Rafa was with us, perhaps teams have come up with better tactics to counter the "keep it tight for 70 minutes" low-possession approach. Wildly unbalanced possession stats have become increasingly common, we continued to do it under Bruce, and the more it happens, the more clubs are going to work on ways of creating openings. Everton are averaging under 40% possession so far this season.

I wonder if Rafa rates Pickford. I think he's a dodgy and not good enough for a top 10 team.

2 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Just a theory, but in the time since Rafa was with us, perhaps teams have come up with better tactics to counter the "keep it tight for 70 minutes" low-possession approach. Wildly unbalanced possession stats have become increasingly common, we continued to do it under Bruce, and the more it happens, the more clubs are going to work on ways of creating openings. Everton are averaging under 40% possession so far this season.

I wonder if Rafa rates Pickford. I think he's a dodgy and not good enough for a top 10 team.

Pickford is good enough but his arms aren't long enough.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

His Rodgers one is spot on tbf.

Beautiful human being! I think he’s class personally! 

17 hours ago, The Bonk said:

They most certainly aren't. Wholeheartedly agree about DCL, but there's still at least a higher mid table capable group of players there. They beat a decent Arsenal team a few weeks ago.

How many Everton players would get into the Wolves team? Maybe 2 or 3? Perhaps poor is a little harsh but it's a very average squad imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much gone https://theathletic.com/news/everton-manager-rafa-benitez-close-to-losing-job-after-dismal-run-of-form/MDdgPHaMTQJ7/

There is growing uncertainty over the future of Rafa Benitez as Everton manager following Saturday’s defeat at Norwich, The Athletic understands.

Sources close to the club suggest there is no way back from this and a good chance he will be sacked before the visit of Aston Villa next weekend.