Everton sack Rafa Benítez (poll added)

Would you have Rafa back?   

447 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

Under Rafa, no matter how good the opposition were, I never felt like we would get hammered.  When we were left with Joselu as our main striker, Rafa kept it tight knowing that come the end of the season goal average could be important.

When people go on about him being negative they forget that we didn't have a decent striker for a lot of the time so needed to play the way we did

13 hours ago, Thumbheed said:

I honestly wonder sometimes if I watched the same team that others when it comes to Rafa. 

Genuinly surprised at how those 3 years are portrayed by some as though we've ever been any better in any other year under Ashley. 

The most exciting thing Rafa brought to the team was his defensive organisation, I've never seen a better drilled defence in my lifetime as a Newcastle fan and that was refreshing as fuck to see. 

I just think if you appreciate football, then you appreciate that side of the game just as much as the goals, dribbles and assists and Rafa was a master with that element of the game. 

By the time he'd left I seem to remember talk of top half/Europe being a possibility with the way we ended his last season. 

I dunno how anyone saw Rafa's period with us as anything but positive.

For much that season I didn't see a well drilled defence, I saw a back 7 with 2 centre mids playing on the toes of the centre halves and loads of last ditch defending. A deliberate plan of holding in there and hoping to snatch something. I'd rather him than Bruce but the way some go on about Rafa in here is like a personality cult.

For me, the best thing Rafa brought to the team was stability no matter how “defensive” some people make it out to be - we were genuinely organised. I used to turn on the tv for those tough away games and know that we weren’t going to get hammered. Granted, we may have been sitting deep, but you knew there was a plan at least in place and that was something we lacked the last two years.

Had a similar argument with a cretin on Facebook about Rafa over the weekend.

He did the very best with what he had, remember, we had nothing down the left. Had to loan Kenedy and got half a season out of him.

Made Lascelles look like Baresi and turned Diame into a powerhouse midfielder.

He built things methodically, you could see how things changed once Almiron was added, all we needed was a goal scorer then and full backs of his choosing.

He was dialled in here, 2 seasons of total confidence from the supporters gave him the time to gain that insight. He’s not got that at Everton, they’ve been on him from day 1.

Our current squad is overall better now, aside from losing Lejeune. We should be doing better. Hopefully Howe can see some of our squad are just shell shocked at present and need to be taken out of the firing line.

5 hours ago, madras said:

For much that season I didn't see a well drilled defence, I saw a back 7 with 2 centre mids playing on the toes of the centre halves and loads of last ditch defending. A deliberate plan of holding in there and hoping to snatch something. I'd rather him than Bruce but the way some go on about Rafa in here is like a personality cult.

Examples of when we played a back 7?!

Clueless if you’re being serious!

16 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

That Man City game around Christmas time in 17/18 has really stood the test of time. 

Aye. Posted about it before but pundits and fans alike have taken that game and have applied it to the entirety of Benitez' tenure here. It's bullshit. We had won 1 game in 10, not won at home since October, were a newly promoted side with a bulk of Championship quality players and were facing a side who had won 18 out of 19 games, drawing the other, and slapping sides left, right and centre. We stayed in the game and might've gotten something had; Aarons not had a chip cleared off the line by Otamendi in the first half, Gayle's header just being saved by Ederson or Gayle diving in the box instead of pulling the trigger late on. Same with the away game against them tbh: Murphy pulls it back to 2-1 with a while left, Diame then bulldozes into their box and has a powerful shot saved. It was hard to watch but it bore results, especially in 17-18.

But because pundits on TV, the main ones, are only on for our games that involve the big 6 teams they only see us against the big 6 teams. They don't watch us play Southampton, Huddersfield, Burnley; sides that we saw the best football against. They take those game-plans against the top sides and think it was like that for the whole of Benitez' time here. Fuck off.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

9 hours ago, Yorkie said:

That Man City game around Christmas time in 17/18 has really stood the test of time. 

Spoiler

"Redundant football" - Gary Neville. Apparently sitting off the best side in the world, and still getting a win... Because Sky Sports' highest paid pundit said so. 

Even peak Barcelona/Guardiola didn't win La Liga in 11/12 - Real Madrid won. Real, Getafe and Osasuna beating them. Not many teams pull off beating City going at them. Watford tried and got hit for 6-0 in a FA Cup final - now that's embarrassing. 

Bruce's approach against City in the FA Quarter Final took the piss though. 

13 minutes ago, Plastician said:

Reveal hidden contents

"Redundant football" - Gary Neville. Apparently sitting off the best side in the world, and still getting a win... Because Sky Sports' highest paid pundit said so. 

Even peak Barcelona/Guardiola didn't win La Liga in 11/12 - Real Madrid won. Real, Getafe and Osasuna beating them. Not many teams pull off beating City going at them. Watford tried and got hit for 6-0 in a FA Cup final - now that's embarrassing. 

Bruce's approach against City in the FA Quarter Final took the piss though. 

That's from the following season. 2017-18 was where we lost 0-1 and were lambasted for it on Sky. That game is from 2018-19 where we beat them, on BT.

Seem to remember in the 0-1 that Gayle missed a pretty good chance in the last couple of mins too (diving header?).

I don’t see how anyone could question the tactics Rafa used in those games. It was clear that Man City were a significantly better footballing side and therefore the only option was to stay in the game as long as possible and hope for a mistake. The 2-1 the following season being the classic example.

22 hours ago, madras said:

JFC

Just had a look on GOT - there’s a 40 page thread on top of the normal one for him about who they to replace him with!

I think it might be his last game tonight - if Liverpool go a few in front and the away end start singing his name then the fury levels of those lot in the home end who already hate him will reach nes levels!

We all said he was nuts to go there and he must be gutted that the takeover went through just a few months later!

• Yorkie changed the title to Everton sack Rafa Benítez (poll added)