Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

45 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Also it shouldn't have taken Colback to step out of line. He should have been exiled straight away.

That Jogback and Anita CM pairing. Dark days.

Edited by Chicane

37 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Read a bit further, Apparently he should have bought the whole park  because he’s a multi millionaire.

Rio Ferdinand been commenting again? 

1 minute ago, Chicane said:

Rio "my business dealings with Ashley definitely don't make me biased" Ferdinand's comments still stand as one of the dumbest things I've ever heard a pundit say.

And there really is a lot to choose from

I almost killed my telly when he said that.

I can’t let it go 

8 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Has there ever been an example of a manager succeeding second time around?

Yes, Eddie Howe.

It was his second spell at Bournemouth which got them promoted from league 1 to the prem, etc.

1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

You just know Rafa's going to lose his next match and get the sack...

Hope so, would rather play against an Everton side without Rafa than one with him, regardless of what their fans currently think of him. 

37 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Correct, let’s look in the direction we are headed 👍🏻

And soon wor Eddie will be deeply embedded

Good poem lads, well done everyone. 

Edited by Interpolic

You just know Rafa's going to lose his next match and get the sack...

Let it go......we have to look forward and not back!

Correct, let’s look in the direction we are headed 👍🏻

And soon wor Eddie will be deeply embedded

Untitled-6-20.jpg

Don't know if this has been posted here yet, from the Times. Maybe sounds like a "Get me out of here"?

Rafa Benítez has said the ambitious plans of Everton’s owners prevented him returning to Newcastle United but admits he is now unlikely to be able to embark on a January spending spree.

The reality of the situation became apparent with Benítez anxious to arrest a downturn in form which has left Everton with one win in seven matches ahead of Sunday’s game with Tottenham Hotspur. Unrest is simmering among fans who were always likely to give the former Liverpool manager little leeway should wins remain elusive.

Benítez spent only £1.7 million in the summer as Everton sought to adhere to the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules yet still managed to bring in two of the club’s better performers so far this season in Andros Townsend and Demarai Gray.

He again tempered expectations ahead of the January transfer window, insisting that finding the right players to bolster a flimsy squad was more important than simply spending big.

“I think we will have some money to spend but I don’t think that will be too much,” said Benítez, who has been interested in Aleksandr Golovin, the AS Monaco winger. “The point is [not] that Townsend is a free transfer, or Demarai is £1.7 million — it doesn’t matter the price. It is more about the mentality. If we can buy them, fine. If not, we can loan them and make sure they stay here with us in the future.”

Injuries to Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Abdoulaye Doucouré and Yerry Mina have exposed the squad’s lack of depth, while also depriving Everton height at set pieces. They have conceded seven goals from corners and free kicks this season, the same as in the whole of last term under Carlo Ancelotti.

Benítez rebuffed interest from Newcastle, whom he managed from 2016 to 2019, after the Saudi Arabian takeover in order to remain at Goodison Park.

Ironically, he would get money to spend at St James’ Park and be able to count on the backing of supporters who idolised him during his time on Tyneside. Yet his principles mean he remains committed to Everton.

“The reality is I met the owner [Farhad Moshiri] and the sponsor [Alisher Usmanov] and the directors,” Benítez said. “Everybody was telling me we have great ambition and everybody wants to create a competitive team that could go to the [new] stadium winning something or playing in Europe.”

“An owner who has spent £400 million, you cannot criticise him. We have to be sure we are spending money properly. We have to improve things that maybe weren’t right. If not, you cannot justify why we are where we are after spending the fourth most [of Premier League clubs] in the last five years.”