Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Once you lose the away fans the writing is usually on the wall for any manager. Don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip with a sizeable portion of Everton fans, they were never going to give him a chance. He's come in and had barely a penny to spend and inherited a very mixed bag of a squad, one that he's had no say in, he's dealing with the previous manager's offcasts and mistakes. 

It was never going to work out. 

Yep.  Seriously though, what did he expect?

He knows Evetonians hate him.  He knows he has no money to spend (tbf, never one of Rafa’s strong points). He know he is inheriting an Everton which wasted its sugar daddy money on drek, and is now snookered financially.  Yet still he signs.  I’ve little sympathy.  

I know how many view him around these parts, and he’ll always have some affection from me for staying when we went down, but the truth was that he was only a remarkable appointment for us because of Ashley’s ownership.  A decade or so earlier and a similar appointment would’ve been par for the course.  He was in talks with West Ham a few months before us. 

It’s been a long, long time since he genuinely was a first-rank manager.   Taking the Everton job was a puzzle from a football point of view - made sense financially and in terms of location.  But then he went to China for the money - so not that much of a shock.

Move on, I reckon. 

9 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

Yep.  Seriously though, what did he expect?

He knows Evetonians hate him.  He knows he has no money to spend (tbf, never one of Rafa’s strong points). He know he is inheriting an Everton which wasted its sugar daddy money on drek, and is now snookered financially.  Yet still he signs.  I’ve little sympathy.  

I know how many view him around these parts, and he’ll always have some affection from me for staying when we went down, but the truth was that he was only a remarkable appointment for us because of Ashley’s ownership.  A decade or so earlier and a similar appointment would’ve been par for the course.  He was in talks with West Ham a few months before us. 

It’s been a long, long time since he genuinely was a first-rank manager.   Taking the Everton job was a puzzle from a football point of view - made sense financially and in terms of location.  But then he went to China for the money - so not that much of a shock.

Move on, I reckon. 

He wanted a job close to home basically. Looking at their squad, he probably saw two strikers in Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin who will guarantee goals,  then thought "I'll be be able to organise them defensively, and away we go". 

Richarlison now out again for a "number of weeks", won't be seeing him for a while. Townsend and Coleman also picked up knocks, which by our standards means a month out. DCL still out (over 3 months and counting), Allan and Mina re-injured. Digne on the naughty list.

Toxic atmosphere, boardroom carnage, absolute nothingness in terms of any passion or mentality, no discernible money to resolve anything in January.

Other than that things are going well.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

Richarlison now out again for a "number of weeks", won't be seeing him for a while. Townsend and Coleman also picked up knocks, which by our standards means a month out. DCL still out (over 3 months and counting), Allan and Mina re-injured. Digne on the naughty list.

Toxic atmosphere, boardroom carnage, absolute nothingness in terms of any passion or mentality, no discernible money to resolve anything in January.

Hang on in there Neil, just another 13 years and you might see the light at the end of tunnel.[emoji38]

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

I’d swap their league position 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Hang on in there Neil, just another 13 years and you might see the light at the end of tunnel.[emoji38]

Aye because recent years have been full of success. :lol:

All good fun. Except it really isn't.

25 minutes ago, Neil said:

don’t worry, you’re playing us in a couple of weeks so all will be rosy then