Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I have had a second thought: may be this was the last obstacle for the takeover, and now we will be sold very soon

There was always one big question in my mind throughout the takeover: why would Ashley sell us if Rafa is here? Rafa has been performing magic and able to give Ashley minimum 30m (rough figure) profit per year. You may not grasp how significant it is but I can tell you assuming the club is worth 350m, it’s close to 8.5% return per year (and excluding the advertisement) which is f***ing attractive. Newcastle United is close to a cash cow under Rafa. No businessmen will sell such a cash cow unless other party offered astronomical money.

We all know that a big reason for Ashley to sell the club was because if Rafa left, the cash cow status will be gone and he needs to provide a lot of new funds for the new manager to improve the squad. So it’s a great timing to cash in and quit, hence the BZG story.

In other words, why would Ashley sell the club if Rafa is willing to stay and help to generate 30m per year into his pocket?  And if the club was to be sold shortly, the new contract was meaningless because surely BZG will negotiate with Rafa separately in relation to the working condition between Rafa and BZG.  Those terms (50m all inclusive per year etc) only applies when the club was not sold.

So to me, the negoatiation of the new contract itself always contradicts with the news that Ashley has agreed to sell the club to BZG. Hence I always ignore these news. However, the statement issued by the club today suggested otherwise. It’s real that the negotiation was carried between Ashley and Rafa, which means the club would not be sold to BZG shortly.

However, again this contradicts with the statement issued by BZG, which claimed that the price has been agreed between BZG and Ashley. So what was Ashley doing? On one hand agreed the price with BZG and on the other hand persuading Rafa to stay and work on his own terms (I.e. the club will not be sold)?

The only logical explanation I can think of now is, Ashley priority was to retain Rafa / the cash cow status (the terms offered would still generate huge profit to Ashley, I guarantee you this). The BZG takeover was the plan B in case Rafa decided to quit. Which is, Ashley has agreed the price with BZG but he would not finalise the deal until his first priority is gone.

This was also in line with recent development of the BZG story. After the proper test no more news has come out and it appears to be hold up by someone till now.

Hopefully the club will be sold shortly now as Ashley’s first priority has gone.

And again, thanks Rafa.

It’s got nothing to do with takeover.

It’s closely related to the takeover. If takeover is imminent then why would Ashley care about the terms after the sales? The contract negotiation itself implies the club will not be sold.

I have had a second thought: may be this was the last obstacle for the takeover, and now we will be sold very soon

There was always one big question in my mind throughout the takeover: why would Ashley sell us if Rafa is here? Rafa has been performing magic and able to give Ashley minimum 30m (rough figure) profit per year. You may not grasp how significant it is but I can tell you assuming the club is worth 350m, it’s close to 8.5% return per year (and excluding the advertisement) which is f***ing attractive. Newcastle United is close to a cash cow under Rafa. No businessmen will sell such a cash cow unless other party offered astronomical money.

We all know that a big reason for Ashley to sell the club was because if Rafa left, the cash cow status will be gone and he needs to provide a lot of new funds for the new manager to improve the squad. So it’s a great timing to cash in and quit, hence the BZG story.

In other words, why would Ashley sell the club if Rafa is willing to stay and help to generate 30m per year into his pocket?  And if the club was to be sold shortly, the new contract was meaningless because surely BZG will negotiate with Rafa separately in relation to the working condition between Rafa and BZG.  Those terms (50m all inclusive per year etc) only applies when the club was not sold.

So to me, the negoatiation of the new contract itself always contradicts with the news that Ashley has agreed to sell the club to BZG. Hence I always ignore these news. However, the statement issued by the club today suggested otherwise. It’s real that the negotiation was carried between Ashley and Rafa, which means the club would not be sold to BZG shortly.

However, again this contradicts with the statement issued by BZG, which claimed that the price has been agreed between BZG and Ashley. So what was Ashley doing? On one hand agreed the price with BZG and on the other hand persuading Rafa to stay and work on his own terms (I.e. the club will not be sold)?

The only logical explanation I can think of now is, Ashley priority was to retain Rafa / the cash cow status (the terms offered would still generate huge profit to Ashley, I guarantee you this). The BZG takeover was the plan B in case Rafa decided to quit. Which is, Ashley has agreed the price with BZG but he would not finalise the deal until his first priority is gone.

This was also in line with recent development of the BZG story. After the proper test no more news has come out and it appears to be hold up by someone till now.

Hopefully the club will be sold shortly now as Ashley’s first priority has gone.

And again, thanks Rafa.

It’s got nothing to do with takeover.

It’s closely related to the takeover. If takeover is imminent then why would Ashley care about the terms after the sales? The contract negotiation itself implies the club will not be sold.

There's nothig to suggest it has anything to do with the takeover either way. People are just reacting based off 12 years of mis-management, expecting the worst case scenario, as we've had a couple of times under Ashley's reign. It's completely acceptable to throw the towel in at this stage, just as it's completely acceptable to cling on to the hope that we'll soon be rid of this monster.

He's not immortal, there will come a day when he is no longer around.

And again, thanks Rafa.

Interesting point of view.

I guess we'll see what transpires next.

The truth faith Patreon podcast is a good listen and makes sense.

Rafa asked for 3 things got given none of them. It’s got fuck all to do with new owners or a takeover.

If he's going to China, then it makes me doubt whether there is a takeover imminent. I would have assumed he'd be sounded out by any new owners who would surely have enough sense to keep him on.

Personally I’d prefer the most crass, ludicrously laughable appointment possible

Same here. Takeover or bust as far as I'm concerned. Fuck whichever clown Ashley decides to bring in.

We were THAT close to having a team to be proud of this season as well, it's all going to unwind like a ball of thread.

They did say on true faith apparently Rafa told them their first offer had to be their best offer coz there was no trust and he was fed up of the back and forth which would tie in with that he’s saying there

Rafa asked for 3 things got given none of them. It’s got f*** all to do with new owners or a takeover.

You properly too anger to understand what I wrote...

Rafa asked for 3 things got given none of them. It’s got f*** all to do with new owners or a takeover.

You properly too anger to understand what I wrote...

Couldn’t be arsed to read most of it tbh. Been a long day. I apologise. You do indeed make a good point