Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Gutted and angry but not surprised. Rafa stayed through relegation when he didn't have to so I doubt he was asking for the world. Just evidence of any sporting purpose to the club beyond surviving on the Premier League gravy train as a huge billboard for Sports Direct.

Ashley isn't a willing seller and I've always felt that only one of two scenarios will convince him to leave. One is a massive offer that he can't refuse, and the other is the club sinking so low that he cuts his losses. Unfortunately, and I really hope I'm wrong, the latter seems more likely. A mass boycott is long long overdue. There'll be those fans who will keep saying that we're in a tight battle and the team needs a 12th man to scrape another survival, but where does that argument end? If we do go down, then it's a possible tight promotion scrap and on it goes. Are we just trying to keep our heads above water until someone comes with a fat cheque for Ashley? It could be another 12 years. Something has to change.

This will be my final post here, I lost interest in the club when Keegan left for the second time around. I had no interest to follow the club during the Pardew years and didn't even bother watching any matches, it was utter dispassionate apathy.

I got lured back in when Rafa was appointed in March 2016, and he allowed me to dream again. He is certainly the best Newcastle manager in my lifetime from a tactical perspective, and my respect for him is on par with Keegan and Sir Bobby. I am utterly devastated and heart-broken that he has officially left, despite being mentally prepared for it since the end of the season. I will have nothing but contempt for the supporters who continue to attend matches as long as Ashley is in charge.

All that remains is to say: 'Thank you Rafa, you will always be a true gent for acting with such dignity and compassion over the the past 3 years and it was an utter privilege to see you lead Newcastle United'

Feel sorry for you and don’t take this the wrong way, but apparently knowing full well the extent of Ashley’s cuntishness, why did you get drawn back in? Surely you must have know that yesterday’s events were bound to happen sooner or later? A leopard doesn’t change his spots, sadly. Also can’t quite understand your contempt for other fans who decide to still go considering your own earlier conscious decision to go back despite being apparently aware of the club’s predicament.

I can understand young uns who may not have been around during the first 10 years of Ashley’s tenure being in shock, but any older fans? Howay man, this is text book Ashley, fucking text book. First KK, then Shearer, then Hughton, now Rafa. We can’t have someone decent and competent in charge of this club. Ashley will just lie to them and fuck them over until they fight their corner in the interest of the club and its fans, at which point the vindicative man child will put them in their place.

Guest chopey

I'm back to protest mode now I even took a perverse pleasure in seeing my team lose under Pardew because I knew it was for the greater good and it would hurt Ashley, bring on the shit.

I can understand young uns who may not have been around during the first 10 years of Ashley’s tenure being in shock, but any older fans? Howay man, this is text book Ashley, fucking text book. First KK, then Shearer, then Hughton, now Rafa. We can’t have someone decent and competent in charge of this club. Ashley will just lie to them and fuck them over until they fight their corner in the interest of the club and its fans, at which point the vindicative man child will put them in their place.

I think like most people I was expecting it, so it wasn't necessarily a shock but it still took the wind out of my sails like nowt else in my time supporting NUFC. It's the frustration in thinking what could have been. It's Ben Arfa all over again × 1000.

Things that are expected can still hurt you know.

From the news articles it sounds like they are going back to the tried and tested (and failed) approach of getting a 'head coach' who is given young players to make a team out of.

Imagine the self confidence the new manager/head coach must have in themselves to think they can do an equal or better job than Rafa did but with less say so in which players they have.

You think that when it (Rafa leaving) happens you will give up and not care. Life will continue seamlessly. Well it doesn't.

This is unbearable to take- and it is only because Rafa made us realise the worth of Newcastle United again. Newcastle United...just those words mean so, so much to me. I love this club, I fucking love. Pardew helped convince us that it was a worthless entity destined for a monotonous, depressing existence. What a load of shite that was. Newcastle United is being held hostage by Ashley. It's still up to us- that starts with boycotting.

I'm prepared to go fucking militant if it takes it. Fucking bring it on.

I was never comfortable with Rafa's strategy of trying to use his popularity with the supporters to squeeze concessions out of Ashley. If you don't trust the people you're working with, then go. He's been here three years so he must know who he's working with.

The takeover has complicated things because we really need a caretaker, but there's no-one at the club to fulfil that role. So presumably we're looking at someone who is prepared to come in for what may only be a matter of weeks.

From the news articles it sounds like they are going back to the tried and tested (and failed) approach of getting a 'head coach' who is given young players to make a team out of.

Imagine the self confidence the new manager/head coach must have in themselves to think they can do an equal or better job than Rafa did but with less say so in which players they have.

Yep that is Ashley's dream model. Sign players from France/Belgium/Holland under 24 for 10-15m and hope they stand out enough to make money on them. Fuck how they fit into the team or if the manager wants them as long as he comes 17th and makes money on players.

A yes man who will gladly take any players Ashley's minions give him with nothing being built

Rancid

I was never comfortable with Rafa's strategy of trying to use his popularity with the supporters to squeeze concessions out of Ashley. If you don't trust the people you're working with, then go. He's been here three years so he must know who he's working with.

The takeover has complicated things because we really need a caretaker, but there's no-one at the club to fulfil that role. So presumably we're looking at someone who is prepared to come in for what may only be a matter of weeks.

You go.

Crowds of 45 to 48000 next season I'm sure Ashley will happily live with that... the same faces will sit in the same seats and not spot the irony when we begin to lose heavily to teams we formerly had a plan against going home saying how they endured the 90 minutes because they're true supporters

no words needed

wow, there is no more love at NUFC, its nothing more than a shop.  Game Over. 

To think I was on the brink of getting a season ticket and coming back to SJP after a 10 year absence. 

One of the things I'll miss most about Rafa if his ability to develop players. The sheer number of the squad who have hugely improved during his tenure is frankly phenomenal. He's a brilliant coach and the development we've seen in some limited players is incredible.

It's fucking nuts that Ashley waves as he walks out of the door. Absolutely fucking cretinous. Shameful.

Concessions?  Like buying players to stay in the premiership you mean?