Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

16 minutes ago, Haz said:

He's never stated he wants to stay there; he's done it once before and loved it. All Im saying is that with the decision taken out of his hands he might find the new project irresistible.

He moved to us so he could be closer to his family home in Liverpool. I mean he doesn't have to spell it out, we should be able to read between the lines. 

1 minute ago, CFlan said:

Rodgers would 100% walk. He’s got the loyalty of Bruce but with actual coaching ability. 

Yes he would. Just depends if he fancies us more than Leicester who are actually already knocking on CL places. The lure of being one of the biggest clubs in the world might tempt him I reckon. 

I can't help thinking we need a manager of ability who can deal with a siege mentality and will embrace his position amongst the fans and the local area, but who that would be I'm really not sure. There's people that tick individual aspects of that criteria, but not sure if there's any that tick all three that are available.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Rafa's pals - Owen Brown and Frank Mcparland are Football Advisors to the Consortium. I'm sure if Rafa is in the running; perhaps not now but end of season. 

I think more likely Rafa was in contact with Staveley during and after he left Newcastle and he's mentioned them as knowledgeable, trustworthy people.

53 minutes ago, TRon said:

He moved to us so he could be closer to his family home in Liverpool. I mean he doesn't have to spell it out, we should be able to read between the lines. 

That’s actually fine reason to say why he would say no.

however to be an ambitious club we need to be creating situations where we are asking the questions rather than being to reluctant or defeatist to try

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not this early in anyway, if he’s been there 2-3 years then possibly.

however if the Everton board go to him and say that they’d rather have £10m than him as manager then it is fair game

Guest neesy111
Just now, James said:

however if the Everton board go to him and say that they’d rather have £10m than him as manager then it is fair game

Yes, but that is not going to happen is it.  He's got them top 6 while having tons of players out injured 

Just go with the ‘demand a club that tries’

if we can’t make it happen, no problem, but he’s the best candidate for the next three months and the next three years.

if we had a £100m budget and d rather spend £30m on Rafa and £70m on players than £100m on players

14 minutes ago, James said:

That’s actually fine reason to say why he would say no.

however to be an ambitious club we need to be creating situations where we are asking the questions rather than being to reluctant or defeatist to try

He knows Amanda personally, probably helped with recruiting McParland and others, do you not think she'd have asked him the question privately already?

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

As much as I love Rafa he would never be the long term solution. 

Long term maybe no. But he's exactly the person we would have needed to help lay the foundations of getting the basics right again. The team, the squad, the stadium, the training facility. He had it all planned out and I won't be surprised if anything we do from here on in had some Rafa influence in some way.

I'll be honest. I'd rather Amanda ask Rafa on who should replace Bruce rather than ask Shearer. Shearer would probably say keep Bruce or if we need to replace, get Souness or even someone daft like Ian Dowie or something.

Edited by nufcjb

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Caulkin indicating on Twitter that Rafa has been spoken to/approached but has said he’s unwilling to break his Everton contract.

We knew this already though. It’s one of those, we had to ask situations given his contact with AS in the first instance. But they’d have known he’s 100% loyal to a contract.

It’s shite because he’s the perfect fit for a massive project like this, but it’s all about timing. If they (the consortium) didn’t know this was going to go ahead until the start of last week, he can’t have known anything they didn’t before that.

I’ll still be hoping he receives a massive welcome when Everton come here. You never know, things might align for a return further down the line.

On 15/10/2021 at 13:50, Wandy said:

Notice in his press conference today he said "I decided to stay here". Wonder if that means that NUFC have contacted him about coming back?

I read somewhere not long after the takeover happened (can’t remember where) that suggested this had happened.