Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

34 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Still no idea why he took that job. He was asking for misery.

The reasons are obvious, he gets to manage in the premier league in a location which suit him perfectly.

I’m sure he weighed up the whole host of cons as well mind and I’m sure he concluded he could get the fans on side and turn it around at this moment that does appear to be unlikely however. 

Don't know why anyone would want Everton with or without Rafa to succeed. Such a horrible bitter club and their scouse mackem tag suits them well.

Rafa is getting exactly what he deserves by going there. No loyalty to counter his massive ego to stop him taking the job. Imagine after this he rocked up at Sunderland, you still want him to do well then? He's completely fucked up his career since leaving us. He'll never manager above the level he's at now and will be looking at lower end prem clubs if he wants to stay comfortable in England. He really is a Spanish Alladyce from this point on going from average club to club picking up sack windfalls to booster his retirement pot. 

9 hours ago, LRD said:

I love Benitez's time here but it sounds like his politics at work again.

His politics? Eh?

Seeing off a bad DoF who doesn’t support him is bad now? 

4 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Don't know why anyone would want Everton with or without Rafa to succeed. Such a horrible bitter club and their scouse mackem tag suits them well.

Rafa is getting exactly what he deserves by going there. No loyalty to counter his massive ego to stop him taking the job. Imagine after this he rocked up at Sunderland, you still want him to do well then? He's completely fucked up his career since leaving us. He'll never manager above the level he's at now and will be looking at lower end prem clubs if he wants to stay comfortable in England. He really is a Spanish Alladyce from this point on going from average club to club picking up sack windfalls to booster his retirement pot. 

Eh? I really don’t get the dislike for Rafa after what he did for our club in the midst of 14 or so years of abject misery.

Unreal. 

Just now, LV said:

Eh? I really don’t get the dislike for Rafa after what he did for our club in the midst of 14 or so years of abject misery.

Unreal. 

No dislike here, just a different opinion on how he's gone on since leaving. I've said I'd have had him here before Howe arrived, in fact after Emery rejection he was my no1 but to think he ever stood a chance in the everton job shows a real character flaw, however you want to frame it. For me it's ego. He really thought his ability outweighs evertons hate of everything red, it was a silly move as was China but for very different reasons. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

No dislike here, just a different opinion on how he's gone on since leaving. I've said I'd have had him here before Howe arrived, in fact after Emery rejection he was my no1 but to think he ever stood a chance in the everton job shows a real character flaw, however you want to frame it. For me it's ego. He really thought his ability outweighs evertons hate of everything red, it was a silly move as was China but for very different reasons. 

But the Spanish Allardyce?? :lol:

1 minute ago, LV said:

But the Spanish Allardyce?? :lol:

Paelladyce as they everton fans call him.  [emoji38]

If he doesn't get this job right, which looks the likely outcome then where does his career go form here? If he wants to stay in England which is why he took the everton job on then is he going to get bigger than everton? So it's teams needing a quick fix to stay up etc...which is why I likened him to fat Sam. Next English role will see him managed a quarter of the league. That's proper pfm merry-go-round stuff we take this piss out of Hughes, moyes, fat Sam etc...for. 

Just now, Dokko said:

Paelladyce as they everton fans call him.  [emoji38]

If he doesn't get this job right, which looks the likely outcome then where does his career go form here? If he wants to stay in England which is why he took the everton job on then is he going to get bigger than everton? So it's teams needing a quick fix to stay up etc...which is why I likened him to fat Sam. Next English role will see him managed a quarter of the league. That's proper pfm merry-go-round stuff we take this piss out of Hughes, moyes, fat Sam etc...for. 

I mean I'd say his managerial trajectory was already low when he dropped to us.

Everton are a million miles away from us currently and they seen value in him.

Hope he turns it around at Everton but it was terribly misguided taking that job, much like Bruce here.

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I mean I'd say his managerial trajectory was already low when he dropped to us.

Everton are a million miles away from us currently and they seen value in him.

Hope he turns it around at Everton but it was terribly misguided taking that job, much like Bruce here.

It's never going to get back up there now though is it? All he has left is bottom of the PL barrel after this goes tits up unless he leaves the country but he took this job as he wanted to be closer to his family. I can't see him doing another China now. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Probably not but Big Sam has never managed at that domestic level

Managed England though. ;) 

You get in to 5 clubs territory you are one of the merry-go-round managers, like it or not. Jose is one of them as well. Hasn't had much success of late. Probably next everton manager. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Rafa is one of the most decorated managers in the world. 

to compare him to managers such as Allardyce is ridiculous. 

Yet here he is doing a worse job than fat Sam at the same club.

They'll also be likely candidates for the same roles which come up in the league.

I have no real malice towards Everton. For his sake I hope he succeeds. He’s on of the good guys in football and a person I would never want to see fail, even if it’s a club like Everton who I have no time for or against really. 

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Managed England after managing Sunderland. Rafa managed Newcastle after managing REAL MADRID

Hence the safety wink. [emoji38]

Mind Madrid was a short spell. Just a clash of footballing cultures and he was never going to change. Again though, why bother when you don't fit the clubs philosophy? 

I’m not surprised he had faith in his ability to go to Everton as a club in crisis and turn them around - he managed that very well with us and was a success.

Why wouldn’t he think he can do it again?

No idea why it’s not working though. Injuries aren’t the only cause for the disaster currently on show.

The Board have doubled down on him by removing Brands though. Would expect him to get until at least the New Year based on that.

If they can see out the season with him and ride over any rough periods and give him even a modest budget next season, he will succeed. He’s too good to fail. 

47 minutes ago, joeyt said:

His politics? That he wants the best for the club he's managing?

I'm not saying wanting to push for the best with the club is wrong but there's no denying he is a political creature who will try to get his way.