Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

He looked pale and tbh quite ill in the interview with Lineker.  Hope he hasnt rushed back too soon

Thought the same. Hope he is on the mend. Loved how touched he seemed by the messages wishing him well. Lovely man. Our Iberian Magpie.

Yeah I thought he looked totally fucked, really hope he gets a proper rest somehow, even if he has to miss more games.

Early days , but the Rafa evolution is making sense in this league , vindicating his dogged insistence on perseverance with it in the Championship . Personally , I always thought we would see the necessity for Rafa's drilled methods once we stepped up to the big league . Exciting times to have such a respected and respectful man actually caring for this club.

This. I fully expect that most managers will already be planning for the next game too (maybe not some of our previous lot though) but Rafa is so good when it comes to talking to the media. Saying something - in my opinion - as obvious as this just keeps the momentum going for the lads and keeps drilling home the message that we can't afford to take our foot off the gas. It also just helps the media around us report something good and positive in addition to the win yesterday to keep the feel good factor going.

Early days , but the Rafa evolution is making sense in this league , vindicating his dogged insistence on perseverance with it in the Championship . Personally , I always thought we would see the necessity for Rafa's drilled methods once we stepped up to the big league . Exciting times to have such a respected and respectful man actually caring for this club.

Yeah that's a good post. I'm sure we could have opened up or whatever last year but we're reaping the rewards of sticking to the system now.

If we had a productive #10 we'd be in business imo, Ayoze is working hard but we need goals and assists from that position at some stage because Richie, Atsu and Lascelles won't keep it up all season.

Of course, it was really silly when people were calling for 442 and more attacking last season.

How long before one of these ambitious under performing teams comes knocking for Rafa ?

Although he made he feelings clear in the summer about being unhappy with the window (as we all were, probably the board included) I still think it would take some offer for him to move. There's a young team he partly assembled with potential to do greater, hanging on his every word. A fan base as big as you'll get outside the real big clubs in love with him with a certain level of adulation he hasn't received since Liverpool. It could possibly take a Klopp sacking for us to lose him.

I'm hoping the relationship with the board and Ashley isn't as bad as we fear. Maybe some of it was smoke and mirrors to try and drive down prices. If so it didn't work as teams held out for maximum returns, some are left with players who don't want to be there or had to use last minute loans just to claw a few bob back rather than sell at a reasonable price. Hopefully they are more willing to sell next time round when their squad needs a quick fix and places are full.

Since the window has closed I've been really impressed with him and making the most of what he's got. I've felt he needed to that for some time, though would have loved a few key signings to really ignite the squad. One thing is for sure, we keep winning, he doesn't look to leave then we will attract bigger and better players. This team with a Robert/Bellamy type inspiration (both were quite questionable at the time as well) would put us back to where he was hoping. With a few more out the door and a couple more nearer then end of their contracts, we are in a better position as time goes on especially with us remaining in the league. A lot of work to do between now and then but we have an ace up our sleeve (Rafa) compared to most teams fighting for survival and once we establish ourselves in the league their advantage disappears and ours continues to grow.

I'm hoping come the end of 2017 we're in a nice mid table position and we take the opportunity to build on it with a key signing. New keeper, number 10, nothing else, all we have on it or them. From thereon-in its key signings fazing out the weaker members of the squad one window at a time. If we do that, he'll be around for a long time as long as something big doesn't come calling, and i don't class West Ham anything other than a side step, which would show none of the above is applicable. 

Of course, it was really silly when people were calling for 442 and more attacking last season.

For me it's more when you're behind in a game, we rarely try 2 up, even 3 up. I'm talking the last 15 minutes when losing like. Not a massive fan of 4-2-3-1 but when you have a player like Merino as one of the two then it looks much better, and if we can get a real good 10 (not that Perez has been too bad to be fair) and then it'Ll look even better.  Also when the 4-2-3-1 isn't working in any given game, there's no change to try something in that particular game. But it's only a minor gripe, not the bed wetting people always seem to be saying it is.

After all, better players will always make a system look and be better.

How long before one of these ambitious under performing teams comes knocking for Rafa ?

Although he made he feelings clear in the summer about being unhappy with the window (as we all were, probably the board included) I still think it would take some offer for him to move. There's a young team he partly assembled with potential to do greater, hanging on his every word. A fan base as big as you'll get outside the real big clubs in love with him with a certain level of adulation he hasn't received since Liverpool. It could possibly take a Klopp sacking for us to lose him.

I'm hoping the relationship with the board and Ashley isn't as bad as we fear. Maybe some of it was smoke and mirrors to try and drive down prices. If so it didn't work as teams held out for maximum returns, some are left with players who don't want to be there or had to use last minute loans just to claw a few bob back rather than sell at a reasonable price. Hopefully they are more willing to sell next time round when their squad needs a quick fix and places are full.

Since the window has closed I've been really impressed with him and making the most of what he's got. I've felt he needed to that for some time, though would have loved a few key signings to really ignite the squad. One thing is for sure, we keep winning, he doesn't look to leave then we will attract bigger and better players. This team with a Robert/Bellamy type inspiration (both were quite questionable at the time as well) would put us back to where he was hoping. With a few more out the door and a couple more nearer then end of their contracts, we are in a better position as time goes on especially with us remaining in the league. A lot of work to do between now and then but we have an ace up our sleeve (Rafa) compared to most teams fighting for survival and once we establish ourselves in the league their advantage disappears and ours continues to grow.

I'm hoping come the end of 2017 we're in a nice mid table position and we take the opportunity to build on it with a key signing. New keeper, number 10, nothing else, all we have on it or them. From thereon-in its key signings fazing out the weaker members of the squad one window at a time. If we do that, he'll be around for a long time as long as something big doesn't come calling, and i don't class West Ham anything other than a side step, which would show none of the above is applicable. 

:love:

I think he was probably seething with how the window turned out, and his patience will break at some point, but I still think he's got fire in his belly in terms of building NUFC. He wouldn't be here if he didn't.

If we finish 13th-17th and have another bad summer, he'll probably say 'fuck this'. Because that would mean two summers in row where Ashley is the sole thing prohibiting him from bringing success to the club.

Know the odds are stacked against it happening and it plays in with the deloodid jawdee™ stereotype, but imagine if we upset the league and finished in the top 8, man. Media meltdown.

:sweetjesus:

Don't think it's deluded to get 8th at all tbh. Don't think the media would care either

Know the odds are stacked against it happening and it plays in with the deloodid jawdee™ stereotype, but imagine if we upset the league and finished in the top 8, man. Media meltdown.

:sweetjesus:

I'd be delighted with top 10, but looking at last season there was little between 8th and 10th so it's not deluded to think it is possible.

The ugly irony of this season is that Rafa will vindicate the fat one by the end of the season.