Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Taking so long to get going in each of his two top flight seasons with us and also his choice of attacking players to sign will always leave the door open for the likes of Richard Keys to comment on the club, which is disappointing.

There’s not really much else to say about it. He was never backed properly but can it be said that he did the very best he could with the squad available?

That’s the thing. If Bruce manages to finish higher this season, and it’s basically the same squad. Then it opens up all sorts of questions about how well Rafa actually did..

Taking so long to get going in each of his two top flight seasons with us and also his choice of attacking players to sign will always leave the door open for the likes of Richard Keys to comment on the club, which is disappointing.

There’s not really much else to say about it. He was never backed properly but can it be said that he did the very best he could with the squad available?

That’s the thing. If Bruce manages to finish higher this season, and it’s basically the same squad. Then it opens up all sorts of questions about how well Rafa actually did..

But it's a continuation of Rafa's progress. Rafa basically started fresh each year, Rafa plus Rondon plus Perez, on I'd quite like ASM added in, and we'd be sitting 5th on Monday night, if not there already with a game in hand

Guest Howaythetoon

Just read it, Ashley is the stupidest man in football and obviously a spiteful little man child.

He's not stupid, he just doesn't care about football.

He is however, spiteful and pure evil.

Nah, he’s stupid like. You don’t let someone the calibre of Rafa go, in any organisation, unless you’re fucking thick as fuck. I’ll give him his due, he excels at it and would win gold at the olympics if they ever had a brain dead stupid category.

Oh you’re right,  he’s spiteful I agree. He’s also a narcissist, a borderline sociopath, a control freak and a bully lacking social skills, empathy and being able to relate to others. He’d be a serial killer if he didn’t get his rocks off being a cunt in the corporate world.

He’s that kid at school/or in your street who had a ball no-one else had, and everyone would only knock on/befriend him to have a game otherwise there would be no game. Who everyone had to pathetically indulge otherwise he’d take his ball home in a huff. That’s Ashley, a spoilt, privileged, unloved, starved of human warmth and affection and real meaningful childhood interactions with other kids and adults who now uses his money and power in the same way he did his ball. I bet his kids and wife hate him more than we do.

What a sad tragic fat bastard, if it wasn’t for his toxic association with NUFC, I’d pity the cunt and feel some what sorry for him. May he forever be inflicted with nothing but Ill health, financial ruin, total misery and zero love and friendship leading to an early death though because he’s an utter reprehensible human being who this world, never mind the game and business world, needs less of.

You buy NUFC and you let it fail and actively take part in its failure, decay, demise, and death? How is that even possible, but he’s somehow managed to achieve that! He deserves his own demise for wasting such an opportunity. He doesn’t deserve all opportunities afforded to him full stop. Birth being top of the list. Hurry and fucking keel over from a massive heart attack you cunt.

Now that I’d swap the KK years for just to get to cheer. That would be the biggest win in the club’s history. I’d pin his death certificate on our honours list, right at the top.

But it's a continuation of Rafa's progress. Rafa basically started fresh each year, Rafa plus Rondon plus Perez, on I'd quite like ASM added in, and we'd be sitting 5th on Monday night, if not there already with a game in hand

Rafa wouldn’t have signed ASM. That’s the thing. He had the veto on players coming in.

Jury is still out on Joelinton, he might adapt but he’s doing well in all the other areas that Rafa likes in a player so let’s say that he would be starting games.

But ASM would give him a panic attack. He wouldn’t stick to the game plan. He’d have Atsu ahead of him.

Rafa wouldn’t have signed ASM. That’s the thing. He had the veto on players coming in.

Saint-Maximin said Nice rejected offers from Newcastle last December /January that suggests Rafa Benitez gave the green light for him.

Saint-Maximin said Nice rejected offers from Newcastle last December /January that suggests Rafa Benitez gave the green light for him.

:mackems:

No.

No.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/04/allan-saint-maximin-claims-newcastle-actually-wanted-him-last-ye/

“Newcastle came in December last year so it has been a long time for me. Nice did not want to let me go because they needed players.

The trainer wanted me to stay. I told him I wanted to go to Newcastle”

“Newcastle came for me again so now it is my dream to be in the Premier League. It is a very good club“

No.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/08/04/allan-saint-maximin-claims-newcastle-actually-wanted-him-last-ye/

“Newcastle came in December last year so it has been a long time for me. Nice did not want to let me go because they needed players.

The trainer wanted me to stay. I told him I wanted to go to Newcastle”

“Newcastle came for me again so now it is my dream to be in the Premier League. It is a very good club“

Yes. I'm sure these are correct. It is quite clear Lee Charnley was working behind the managers back on ASM and Joelinton for quite some time, we certainly know Rafa didn't want Joelinton at the price we paid.

Guest Howaythetoon

A club renowned for bidding pretend only for players, renowned for bidding on players with or without the manager’s actual own say on anything or not, a club renowned for bidding on players they actually want, but only if they can pay a price they and they only decide to set, preferably as less as possible using contract loop holes, clauses, deals to be had from end of contract players, frees, loans or payers whose agents for the right price could save the club some money in transfer fees.

Post promotion the club ignored Rafa’s list of targets over their own, many he said no to. Because of that he was forced to turn his own list upside down and bring in players way down on his list, some were not even on his list but ticked a few boxes matching his criteria. Players who still had to tick a certain box matching the club’s criteria, namely how much they’d cost and how much they earned. The cheaper the likelier the club would sign them.

The daft thing is Rafa wasn’t against the club’s own criteria if they also met his own, Murphy for example who Rafa agreed to under the assumption the money to buy him wouldn’t effect the money he requested the club spend on the players he wanted.

In the January of our promotion season, Rafa wanted Kennedy, Abraham and Townsend back, deals he himself personally had worked on that the club had the option to buy then or loan in and buy once promotion was secure. The Chelsea players ticked the club’s boxes in terms of their criteria and Rafa’s. He looked at them specifically because of that. The club were happy to have them on loan but wanted Chelsea to pay their wages and agree a set fee that could be annulled failing relegation. The club to be fair thought promotion wasn’t dependent on signing those players and wanted to review things post promotion regardless.

Again, if they don’t cost the club anything Rafa could have had them on loan. Chelsea weren’t having it though and said if you want them on loan, pay a loan fee and if you don’t want to, pay what we are asking to sign them permanently now or don’t bother coming back in the summer.

Rafa pushed to sign them permanently in January, 30m could have got them. He told the club, having pissed off Chelsea, they’d have to pay a few more million in the Summer. But he was happy to stick with what he had and to review things after promotion with the club. At that time under the assumption they were all working together and united in one recruitment strategy.

Townsend was another deal Rafa had worked on, Townsend wanted to return but wouldn’t drop down a division, but after promotion would have been happy to come back. Palace were happy to do a deal that saw them get their money back, keep the player until NUFC got promotion and if not the club could walk away from the deal. Ashley was prepared to pay for Townsend up front promotion or not, but wanted Palace to give the club a few million to loan him. Ashley knew Townsend wouldn’t drop down a division so if we didn’t go up, we owned him and if Palace wanted to keep him they would have to pay a loan fee, if not them someone else would. He cottoned onto what Chelsea we’re doing and saw the potential rewards.

Rafa was told neither club could reach a deal, but was assured, after promotion, he could have Townsend back.

Instead he got Murphy.

Which again he was happy to have, but not at the cost of bringing in his own targets.

The only player he wanted high up on his list and the club signed was Almiron and only then much later than he wanted to bring him in and only because the club managed to get a better deal and feared Rafa would walk out if they didn’t at least sign him. He of course ticked the club’s boxes and Rafa’s and look how much he helped us improve.

If only Rondon was 23 and whatever transfer fee his club were asking was negotiable favouring NUFC the most.

If only Rafa signed Abraham, he also wanted Loftus Cheek but Chelsea we’re reluctant to sell and he’d have cost 25m plus at least, silly money even now, but a good player with potential.

Dubravka was another post promotion player the club eventually let him sign, but he wasn’t top of the list and come in in loan to start with. Had he cost a few million more, he’d never have been signed.

Another player Rafa wanted that ticked the club’s box too was Merino, who again come on loan initially. The club saw a future massive profit on him and were not happy Rafa was happy for him to return back to Spain, Rafa quickly identified he lacked the mentality to make it in England, mind the club didn’t exactly do their all to help him settle, refusing trips returning to Spain, refusing to pay for a translator who could also teach him English, he would need to pay for that himself, and refusing to pay for expert medics to treat his injury, again he would have to pay for that himself.

That’s what Rafa was working against, that’s what players signed up to and walked in on. And they still insist in signing so many foreign players. There is a reason Rafa was cautious about signing players from abroad, because he knew the club wouldn’t look after them or accommodate their extra needs while they settled in. He was equally concerned signing youngsters because the development set up was not right.

After promotion, it’s my opinion that as soon as Rafa was not willing to just accept letting the club do what they wanted regarding recruitment, regarding the facilities and academy set up and regarding the support system for players new to playing in England, new to the language, the culture etc. which he constantly challenged, they set about instigating his departure, hoping he’d resign. They feared his popularity with the fans though and feared if he left during the season, relegation would ensure. They strung him along enough to force him to renewer or leave, which he did, and now they have their lackey, who they hope as a Geordie, people will be ever so easy on.

Finish above the bottom three Steve, that’s the only job you have to do. We’ll buy the players, you don’t worry yourself about the academy, the facilities, you just finish 17th or above. Oh and do not under any circumstances, go on a cup run.

I think we’d be 4-5 points better off had he stayed, even with the signings given to him. For the sake of just giving Benitez choice of players he’d have been safe of relegation, making an extra £4m-5m on ticket sales (basing that on an average of £30 a ticket for an extra 7k a match). That’s basically the difference between Bruce’s salary and Rafa’s...he’d have paid for himself.

He was the bridge between keeping fans onside and staying away due to Ashley. Mental that Ashley couldn’t see this.

Just read it, Ashley is the stupidest man in football and obviously a spiteful little man child.

Nah, he’s stupid like. You don’t let someone the calibre of Rafa go, in any organisation, unless you’re fucking thick as fuck. I’ll give him his due, he excels at it and would win gold at the olympics if they ever had a brain dead stupid category.

Oh you’re right,  he’s spiteful I agree. He’s also a narcissist, a borderline sociopath, a control freak and a bully lacking social skills, empathy and being able to relate to others. He’d be a serial killer if he didn’t get his rocks off being a cunt in the corporate world.

He’s that kid at school/or in your street who had a ball no-one else had, and everyone would only knock on/befriend him to have a game otherwise there would be no game. Who everyone had to pathetically indulge otherwise he’d take his ball home in a huff. That’s Ashley, a spoilt, privileged, unloved, starved of human warmth and affection and real meaningful childhood interactions with other kids and adults who now uses his money and power in the same way he did his ball. I bet his kids and wife hate him more than we do.

What a sad tragic fat bastard, if it wasn’t for his toxic association with NUFC, I’d pity the cunt and feel some what sorry for him. May he forever be inflicted with nothing but Ill health, financial ruin, total misery and zero love and friendship leading to an early death though because he’s an utter reprehensible human being who this world, never mind the game and business world, needs less of.

You buy NUFC and you let it fail and actively take part in its failure, decay, demise, and death? How is that even possible, but he’s somehow managed to achieve that! He deserves his own demise for wasting such an opportunity. He doesn’t deserve all opportunities afforded to him full stop. Birth being top of the list. Hurry and fucking keel over from a massive heart attack you cunt.

Now that I’d swap the KK years for just to get to cheer. That would be the biggest win in the club’s history. I’d pin his death certificate on our honours list, right at the top.

:clap:

I don't think there's anything to indicate either way whether Rafa would have wanted him or not really. He's certainly got the athleticism rafa likes, and seems to want to work off the ball (from the little I've seen).

FWIW, I don't think Rafa would sign ASM, he doesn't like players who don't use the ball intelligently. Maximin is great fun to watch, but when you are losing games you should be winning because he doesn't make the right pass, or misses easy chances, it will probably start to get a bit old.

:clap:

:lol: Get in.

I don't think there's anything to indicate either way whether Rafa would have wanted him or not really. He's certainly got the athleticism rafa likes, and seems to want to work off the ball (from the little I've seen).

FWIW, I don't think Rafa would sign ASM, he doesn't like players who don't use the ball intelligently. Maximin is great fun to watch, but when you are losing games you should be winning because he doesn't make the right pass, or misses easy chances, it will probably start to get a bit old.

Aye, if we had lost the two games he missed sitters in it would be a bit of a different story. I love to watch him but he's never a Benitez player in a million years.

CFA may impose a salary cap on foreign players in Chinese league. Proposal: The total budget of a club on foreign players' annual salary: ¥150m($19.3m). Each club could have 1 foreign player whose salary is not restricted by the salary cap, and whose transfer fee is under €25m

Just when Rafa Benitez thought he wouldn’t be restricted in the transfer market anymore :laugh:

Every CEO of a Premier league club (apart from City and Liverpool) that doesn't consider Rafa for their manager is performing gross misconduct