Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Rafa discussing the stats behind how many passes prior to a goal, possession % etc. fucking incredible man. Absolutely love him just wrecking the whole passing/front foot football bull shit. it's about balance and winning.

The British managers lunch club will have been massively triggered from watching Rafa show then what tactics are all about last night. Can’t wait for the backlash on TalkSport, twitter and Facebook etc trying to justify themselves.

Probably a few doing it on here too.

One of my recent favourite clips is when Mourinho does the same in studio, leaving everyone speechless, and Souness pipes in, "... it's really not that complicated." Symbolized his entire time here, taking over from Sir Bobby.

Sir Bobby was actually one of the most astute tacticians with an English background, but then he had a CV which showed experience all around the world, and in some of the top leagues at that.

Rafa discussing the stats behind how many passes prior to a goal, possession % etc. f***ing incredible man. Absolutely love him just wrecking the whole passing/front foot football bull s***. it's about balance and winning.

The British managers lunch club will have been massively triggered from watching Rafa show then what tactics are all about last night. Can’t wait for the backlash on TalkSport, twitter and Facebook etc trying to justify themselves.

One of my recent favourite clips is when Mourinho does the same in studio, leaving everyone speechless, and Souness pipes in, "... it's really not that complicated." Symbolized his entire time here, taking over from Sir Bobby.

Sir Bobby was actually one of the most astute tacticians with an English background, but then he had a CV which showed experience all around the world, and in some of the top leagues at that.

A genius.

Rafa discussing the stats behind how many passes prior to a goal, possession % etc. f***ing incredible man. Absolutely love him just wrecking the whole passing/front foot football bull s***. it's about balance and winning.

A genius.

If memory serves me right, granted I can't remember where I read it, and I can't remember if/how it translated onto the pitch, but SBR had an obsession with how to retain possession after throw-ins. :lol: It's details like that and what Rafa was talking about on Sky (pentalties stats, teaching players to understand why etc) that separates the great coaches from the bad.

I feel like I can recall us being hopeless at retaining possession after throw-ins. :lol: That and booting it out immediately for a throw-in from kick off.

Could be :lol:

This isn't where I read it, but confirms what I thought I remembered:

We always used to practise throw-ins, because it was one of his biggest bugbears – how hard players used to work to win the ball back and then just throw it back to the opposition. We’d be top or second in the Premier League, and practising throw-ins – that was his level of detail.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/robbie-elliott-sir-bobby-robson-newcastle-england-barcelona/

I feel like I can recall us being hopeless at retaining possession after throw-ins. :lol: That and booting it out immediately for a throw-in from kick off.

Could be :lol:

This isn't where I read it, but confirms what I thought I remembered:

We always used to practise throw-ins, because it was one of his biggest bugbears – how hard players used to work to win the ball back and then just throw it back to the opposition. We’d be top or second in the Premier League, and practising throw-ins – that was his level of detail.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/robbie-elliott-sir-bobby-robson-newcastle-england-barcelona/

I'm no football coach but watch our team when we have a throw in.  Totally clueless, all we do is give the opposition the ball.

SBR took over a team with Big Dunc and Shearer as the twin spearheads, and he implemented a direct football policy to make the most of it for a while. But over the next few years he transformed the squad to include pace and technique and turned us into a fast passing team which was also lethal on the counter. He knew what he was about, and didn't take the easy option.

he's like KK, and Sir Bobby in the respect that when they speak, you become entranced. you become enthralled and start smiling without even knowing it. all three just made you feel better.

cf. Pardew, Kinnear, Carver, Bruce ..... just made you cringe and want to throw things at the telly.

he's like KK, and Sir Bobby in the respect that when they speak, you become entranced. you become enthralled and start smiling without even knowing it. all three just made you feel better.

cf. Pardew, Kinnear, Carver, Bruce ..... just made you cringe and want to throw things at the telly.

Benitez is similar to Robson.  Bobby looked at the league and identified pace as the difference.  We had it in abundance awith the likes of robert, Bellamy, dyer and domi add to that the fitness of lee, spped and jenas we ran the legs of teams which made up for an average defence

Benitez knew being solid would give us a chance.  I never understood why Joselu started the first ten games or so but how he protected players so he nearly always had his first choice out in the run in was impressive. Which kept us up. Imagine Joselu playing the last ten 😳

Although glad he is doing well in Spain seems a nice guy

While Kevin Keegan, SBR, and Benitez might have different approaches to football, all of them had clear ideas on their approaches to the game and how to execute them. Anyways, forget their footballing nouse which is prodigious.

Another couple of things which stands out when you watch the interviews of these three managers is humility and honesty. They never take the fans for fools. None of this front foot football bs.

Whether you are at LFC, Newcastle, or Valencia, the fans belong to a tribe and the manager often is viewed as the leader of the tribe. One of the bare minimum we expect out of the manager is that he be a good person, a man of integrity. And  Rafa's, Keegan's, and SBR's integrity oozes out in every interview they provide. Kevin Keegan left us to join Hamburg but he was so honest about the entire transfer and his reasons that he is still considered a legend at LFC. No other great player who left us is afforded this level of respect.

Rafa and Keegan had the integrity to walk out of something they loved doing (manager of Newcastle) when they felt things werent being done the right way. Rafa at LFC had the integrity to go after the owners. Both of them could have remained silent and coasted their way through life but they didnt. Fans can sense it when they have a manager who has integrity and respond to it.

I am surprised as to why the media never cottoned on to this aspect when they keep on complaining about the support Rafa received compared to Hodgson and Bruce.

While Kevin Keegan, SBR, and Benitez might have different approaches to football, all of them had clear ideas on their approaches to the game and how to execute them. Anyways, forget their footballing nouse which is prodigious.

Another couple of things which stands out when you watch the interviews of these three managers is humility and honesty. They never take the fans for fools. None of this front foot football bs.

Whether you are at LFC, Newcastle, or Valencia, the fans belong to a tribe and the manager often is viewed as the leader of the tribe. One of the bare minimum we expect out of the manager is that he be a good person, a man of integrity. And  Rafa's, Keegan's, and SBR's integrity oozes out in every interview they provide. Kevin Keegan left us to join Hamburg but he was so honest about the entire transfer and his reasons that he is still considered a legend at LFC. No other great player who left us is afforded this level of respect.

Rafa and Keegan had the integrity to walk out of something they loved doing (manager of Newcastle) when they felt things werent being done the right way. Rafa at LFC had the integrity to go after the owners. Both of them could have remained silent and coasted their way through life but they didnt. Fans can sense it when they have a manager who has integrity and respond to it.

I am surprised as to why the media never cottoned on to this aspect when they keep on complaining about the support Rafa received compared to Hodgson and Bruce.

:clap:

Beautifully put as always.

Guest Howaythetoon

Spot on post and that’s what separates these managers from the rest regardless of results or trophies, Chris Hughton is the same in that regard and why he will always be remembered and selected by me, even if he didn’t achieve promotion after relegation. He was class, humility, respect, dignity and pride personified.

It angers me in ways it shouldn’t knowing we had the likes of Kinnear, Pardew, Big Sam and even Bruce now managing my club, a job Sir Bobby called his civic duty, what Keegan called the one and only ever real job for him, what Rafa called a dream project and what Hughton called a profoundly proud honour to be bestowed with such a monumental responsibility that managing our club meant for him.

It angers even more that Ashley has, is and will continue to waste what KK proclaimed as the Crown Jewels of English football, this he firs stated while a player in black in white, the club in the second tier.

Rafa saw the same potential KK did and believed in our club in the way only a supporter ever can or a Geordie and that’s what makes him a special as KK in many ways and even more so given he had no prior affiliation with the club, region and isn’t even from these shores.

That’s why I’ll always love Rafa because he believed in the kind of club I do or did, the club KK told us not to dream, but dare, if an owner believes in NUFC and gets a manager who does who can then get his players too, there is no limit to what this club of ours can achieve, can be and can grow into. May as Rafa tried, he couldn’t do it alone, but he tried and tried and against forces hell bent on stopping him at every turn.

Who wouldn’t walk away from that... mind, maybe a free half season ticket could have tempted him, or a lick of paint!

Wish I was still walking in a Rafa wonderland. :(

在拉法仙境中行走

loki679[/member] :lol: Google translate has fucked me here, surely?

Walking along...singing our song...Zài lā fǎ xiānjìng zhōng xíngzǒu.

Spot on post and that’s what separates these managers from the rest regardless of results or trophies, Chris Hughton is the same in that regard and why he will always be remembered and selected by me, even if he didn’t achieve promotion after relegation. He was class, humility, respect, dignity and pride personified.

It angers me in ways it shouldn’t knowing we had the likes of Kinnear, Pardew, Big Sam and even Bruce now managing my club, a job Sir Bobby called his civic duty, what Keegan called the one and only ever real job for him, what Rafa called a dream project and what Hughton called a profoundly proud honour to be bestowed with such a monumental responsibility that managing our club meant for him.

It angers even more that Ashley has, is and will continue to waste what KK proclaimed as the Crown Jewels of English football, this he firs stated while a player in black in white, the club in the second tier.

Rafa saw the same potential KK did and believed in our club in the way only a supporter ever can or a Geordie and that’s what makes him a special as KK in many ways and even more so given he had no prior affiliation with the club, region and isn’t even from these shores.

That’s why I’ll always love Rafa because he believed in the kind of club I do or did, the club KK told us not to dream, but dare, if an owner believes in NUFC and gets a manager who does who can then get his players too, there is no limit to what this club of ours can achieve, can be and can grow into. May as Rafa tried, he couldn’t do it alone, but he tried and tried and against forces hell bent on stopping him at every turn.

Who wouldn’t walk away from that... mind, maybe a free half season ticket could have tempted him, or a lick of paint!

Hughton feels a bit out of place when mentioned alongside those other names, but I know what you mean. He carried himself brilliantly, and it felt like our team when he was here.

Guest Howaythetoon

Great points but hughton did get promotion post relegation. Or did I dream that entire season?

I meant even if he didn’t achieve what he did taking us back up...