Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Listened to Pod on the Tyne podcast earlier, Caulkin plays a recording from an interview with Rafa before Christmas.

Says that in his final meeting with club before leaving it was made clear that there was no investment to be made in training ground and academy, and just signalled end of the road for him with us. 

Speaks to the class of him that his greatest motivation here was building a legacy and foundation to build from, not just a contract size or transfer budgets.

Beyond frustration to think club wouldn’t bother investing back into the club, but probably not days later signing off on £50M+  being spent of transfers/contracts for Joelinton, Andy Carroll, and Krath.

Just listened to it - hearing those sound clips of him talking passionately about the cloob  :'(

Going from a manager whose quotes I loved to hear to trying avoid anything this balloon says FFS - cheers, Mike - stupid twat.

The first few pages of his original thread was epic :lol: the best period in recent times.

Sorry. I can't support my club anymore when it is being managed by Steve Bruce. I'm done as long as he stays here.

Would be an absolute dream if Rafa ever came back.

The immense pride and belief he generated when here was incredible. I genuinely thought with a bit of backing a trophy was coming in future. Sickening that we threw that away.

:lol: Pretty sure I thought we might win the League Cup when Diame scored against Hull.

Is there a reason why I can't read the original thread? I just get a 'Not Found'...

Would also have liked to have tortured myself by reading it.

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=97780.0

:lol: How suspicious are we of anything good?

Just spent 15 minutes or so reading through pages from there. So that’s what collective hope looks like? Everyone desperately trying to keep a lid on their expectations in their own way while increasingly losing the plot every 10 or so pages. What a completely different time to be a fan. That’s what I want to feel again. Fuck it if we still get relegated, we all know we’re going down this season and are in wilful denial of we don’t admit it.  Sack Bruce and replace him with anyone with a bit positivity so we can all feel this again.

I don't think I could ever feel that sense of hope again whilst Ashley is here. Rafa coming made you wonder if everything would be okay and we could achieve something in spite of Ashley, but ultimately we couldn't thereby proving we never will. I want Bruce to go, like desperately. For a long while I was fine with him being there because it was a perfect, horrible, fit. But I think he's actively making me ill at this point so could do with never seeing or hearing him again.

I'm sure he got them into training asap sometimes doing 2 sessions a day , Bruce gives them days off

Yeah, did he not have them in on the Sunday before the Monday night game against Leicester?  Seem to recall reading he had a really loud whistle and in that session he would be constantly stopping the players and challenging them and asking them why they made the pass they just made or whatever.  Getting them to think about what they were doing and the decisions they were making.  Wanting them to become better players and actively helping them reach that.  Can't imagine bruce ever doing shit like that. 

Rafa - I miss you and want you back!!  :weep:

I'm sure he got them into training asap sometimes doing 2 sessions a day , Bruce gives them days off

Yeah, did he not have them in on the Sunday before the Monday night game against Leicester?  Seem to recall reading he had a really loud whistle and in that session he would be constantly stopping the players and challenging them and asking them why they made the pass they just made or whatever.  Getting them to think about what they were doing and the decisions they were making.  Wanting them to become better players and actively helping them reach that.  Can't imagine bruce ever doing shit like that. 

Rafa - I miss you and want you back!!  :weep:

Yet Allardyce with his loud speaker got ridiculed.

The immense pride and belief he generated when here was incredible. I genuinely thought with a bit of backing a trophy was coming in future. Sickening that we threw that away.

:lol: Pretty sure I thought we might win the League Cup when Diame scored against Hull.

Same. Personally thought that we could've beaten any of the sides left in the competition at SJP had we gotten through. The Preston tie at home is the most dominant, complete Newcastle performance I've ever witnessed live. 2016/17 and 2017/18 have been two of my favourite seasons in spite of the tough runs we had particularly in the latter.