Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Rafa will not like or trust Pickford as he is way too erratic and will eventually drop him and that is going to be another stick to beat him with by the media.

It's baffling that he barely puts a foot wrong for England but is all over the place at times for Everton.

https://theathletic.com/news/newcastle-agree-fee-with-arsenal-to-sign-joe-willock-subject-to-personal-terms/2Ys86vE9lQve

Sean Longstaff’s Newcastle future will now come into question, with Rafa Benitez, his former manager who is now at Everton, monitoring his situation. Matty Longstaff, too, is likely to depart on loan.

The Times also linked Sean with a move, the swap for Tom Daives I think has been put somewhere as well 

Rafa probably will get more out of him but Sean's been largely shit since his injury in March '19. Given that was over 2 years ago now I've became more and more convinced that the good run of form he had from January to that March was a purple patch. If we can get a decent price for him I'd think about cashing in tbh.

Would keep Matty but Bruce's management of him has been absolutely rancid.

They're both rough diamonds but the point is we had two homegrown, ready-made Premier League CMs that cost us nowt, but we'll be giving up on them in favour of dropping 20mill on someone else's homegrown, ready-made Premier League CM, who's just so happened to have a bit of tuition.

Purple patch might be right in Sean's case but he was still excellent. There's undoubtedly a useful player in there imo. 

There's no good reason why we can't have three excellent young CMs in the squad as opposed to one, is the jist of it. 

The sheer and utter dearth of decent coaching (certainly since Jones arrived) is absolutely fucking criminal.

We've basically got one guy now who's expected to get a tune from about 30-odd players.

4 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

No doubt in my mind Longstaff becomes a player again if Rafa got him, none whatsoever.

I thing Longstaff is excellent at listening to a quality manager and being utilised to his strengths. The performance differences under Rafa to Bruce for bulk are night and day. He'd definitely rediscover it under the right leadership and mentoring.

I honestly don’t see anything in him that suggests he could push on and become a useful top-half prem player imo . 

He lacks physicality, speed and the ball-carrying ability etc. to excel in a midfield 2. Those deficiencies aren’t coachable. He’s also pretty poor in a attacking sense, so doesn’t inspire much confidence in a 3 either.