Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, HawK said:

I'm not sure I agree, it's more the attitude of the players. There's an anecdote around when Guardiola was Barca manager, he would pull Henry into his office and ask him what he could do better next time. Same sort of stuff really?

Aye Owen didn't seem a fan of the Rafa approach..No suprise there.

''We played a game against Celtic and I came off thinking, 'Oh, I've played well there. I've impressed the new gaffer.'

"Players were playing only half the game but I'd chipped the 'keeper, my link-up play was great and I thought I'd definitely impressed him."

Making his way off the pitch for the expected plaudits, Benitez, unlike other managers Owen had worked under, was more concerned with alternative aspects of the striker's performance.

"He just came over to me and said, 'Right, you're doing too much of this, too little of that, I want you getting in behind more...'

"I was just like, 'Ok, ok', and went back into my room with Jamie Carragher, 'One of the best performances I've probably ever put in, and he's just caned me there!'

"He has a very strange way of interacting with people, but it has obviously worked for him over time. Did I misjudge it? Probably, but I've never seen anything like him again, nor have the lads there."

Crucially, Michael Owen extended his bemused reaction to Benitez's characteristics to those experienced by two former teammates of his.

"Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher basically won the Champions League for him," he recalled, "and I don't think he's ever said 'Well done' or patted them on the back.

"That's just his character."

Watching Everton win a game like that with the crowd bouncing has just got me really angry tonight. I told myself that would stop caring about what Rafa does with them because he could never achieve anything with us given how shite the club is run, but I find myself just really angry with the missed opportunity that a donkey could have spotted 

I don't even give a toss about NUFC anymore and it still makes me rage to think about all the times I've heard "Benitez is no better than Bruce" from shithead pundits and journalists wanting their mate to stay on his gravy train.

15 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

No chance of that. It’ll be “Rafa doing well with the team Anchelotti built”.

Not if Andros and Gray carry on like this! They'll have to give that man his dues.

I feel like I've 'mourned' Rafa not being at NUFC. I'll always think of him leaving as a tragedy, arguably the greatest opportunity missed in my time supporting the club, and I'll always view it as basically a sporting crime, sheer malevolence. I'll always be sarcastic about the comparisons between him and Bruce and I'll enjoy feeling vindicated when Everton win and we lose. But he's been gone more than two years now and the dust has definitely settled on that awful wallop when the gavel went down - and it was confirmed beyond all doubt that there's truly nothing here worth supporting. No more excuses for being duped into believing we can be a real football club. We're just left with the solitary matter of wanting the ownership to end.

Even the disgusting manager leaving wouldn't make a difference to the bigger picture, though I'd probably sleep better and maybe catch a game or two. 

Love seeing Rafa doing well under a better and ambitious owner. Quality manager, not a "one of the lads" type coach. I look forward to him proving all his critics wrong as he has so far.

Seeing some of the Evertonians realising how silly they looked being against his signings and appointment now is amusing. Idiots.

God knows i've had too many football discussions with people about how "Rafa played the Newcastle fans like a fiddle" / "his signings were crap" with them knowing fuck all about the context. Literally the same copy paste shit from the wankers at TalkSport.

The man is a Champions League and La Liga winning manager who took over a team heading towards relegation, stuck with us in the championship, took us back up, finished 10th with that same championship squad then surprise surprise.. was lied to once more by the cancer that is Ashley. There was never a chance in hell he or anyone else for that matter could take our club the next step under this shambles regime.

Edited by Amir_9

Richard Keys writing on his personal blog – 13 September 2021:

‘Who said this? ‘My life as a manager has normally been with teams where we did not have too much money and we had to sell players to bring in players. As I have said before, we are lucky to have owners who want to spend money and we have to find a way to do it properly’.

This guy has managed Valencia, Liverpool, Real Madrid (for 6 months) Inter (for 6 months) Chelsea (temporarily) Napoli and Newcastle – where he spent £102m on 18 players before a successful tilt at the championship.

You’ve got it. I know you have. As we all know, he left Tyneside for a ‘long term project’ in China, (where they print money) but was back after 18 months looking for a job. The one he got surprised a few people – but not me. He’d been trying like a bear to get it for years. I hope he does it well because he’s with a club I like a lot – but come on Rafa. You’re having a laugh. Never had money?

At which of the above list of teams didn’t he have money? He’s always had money. The problem has been that he’s always wanted more money – more than the owners of those clubs would trust him with.

Now he’s in the last chance saloon he’s got to behave. There isn’t another one for him after Everton – so he isn’t looking to fall out with the owners like he did Mike Ashley.’

15 minutes ago, huss9 said:

Richard Keys writing on his personal blog – 13 September 2021:

‘Who said this? ‘My life as a manager has normally been with teams where we did not have too much money and we had to sell players to bring in players. As I have said before, we are lucky to have owners who want to spend money and we have to find a way to do it properly’.

This guy has managed Valencia, Liverpool, Real Madrid (for 6 months) Inter (for 6 months) Chelsea (temporarily) Napoli and Newcastle – where he spent £102m on 18 players before a successful tilt at the championship.

You’ve got it. I know you have. As we all know, he left Tyneside for a ‘long term project’ in China, (where they print money) but was back after 18 months looking for a job. The one he got surprised a few people – but not me. He’d been trying like a bear to get it for years. I hope he does it well because he’s with a club I like a lot – but come on Rafa. You’re having a laugh. Never had money?

At which of the above list of teams didn’t he have money? He’s always had money. The problem has been that he’s always wanted more money – more than the owners of those clubs would trust him with.

Now he’s in the last chance saloon he’s got to behave. There isn’t another one for him after Everton – so he isn’t looking to fall out with the owners like he did Mike Ashley.’

What's keys next move after bein sports?  Is he off to Afghanistan where his mates have similar views of women?

4 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Wonder if Everton fans are still scoffing at Benitez signing Gray and Townsend. 

They’ve been great for them from what I’ve seen, exactly what they needed.

17 minutes ago, HTT II said:

They’ve been great for them from what I’ve seen, exactly what they needed.

There aren't many managers who'd have the balls to replace James Rodriguez with Andros Townsend. I fucking love Rafa. Most managers would have taken the job and gushed at the thought of being able to pick James, rather than take a step back, analyse the player and then decide to sign Andros Townsend.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

There aren't many managers who'd have the balls to replace James Rodriguez with Andros Townsend. I fucking love Rafa. Most managers would have taken the job and gushed at the thought of being able to pick James, rather than take a step back, analyse the player and then decide to sign Andros Townsend.

I wonder if Townsend regrets leaving us to work under Benitez in favour of having Pardew as a manager. It torpedoed his England career. 

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

He and Gray will do more for Everton than many of their previous big money ticket signings, and that’s what Rafa brings to any club.