Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Exactly, you cant plan against a team that has no plan, obvious direction or collective motivation

But we now have a plan, involving the same players Rafa knows so well. They were never Bruced, he couldn't inspire a dog to piss on a lamppost. They've been de-Rafad

20 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

But we now have a plan, involving the same players Rafa knows so well. They were never Bruced, he couldn't inspire a dog to piss on a lamppost. They've been de-Rafad

I'd say a fair few of them have been fully Bruced...

Lacelles....just short on an international call up pre-Bruce, and now doesn't look like he knows how to football at all

Willock....looked a good player immediately from Arsenal, now looks like a total waste of space

Clarke....never brilliant, but always a 7/10 player for Rafa, now a complete liability

Ritchie...again never brilliant but with constant direction from Rafa reasonably useful....Now looks like a right winger playing as a left back

Hayden....a semi competent defensive midfielder, now spends more time on the ground complaining than trying to play

Longstaff 1....touted for a £50m move and cant even get ahead of Shelvey now

Longstaff 2....Arguably better than Longstaff 1, but punted up to Aberdeen where he can't even get in their team now.

Rafa had this lot (bar Willock) playing as a coherent effective team.  6 months of Bruceball and not one of them currently deserves to be starting a premier league game

Edited by gjohnson
accuracy

6 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

I'd say a fair few of them have been fully Bruced...

Lacelles....just short on an international call up pre-Bruce, and now doesn't look like he knows how to football at all

Willock....looked a good player immediately from Arsenal, now looks like a total waste of space

Clarke....never brilliant, but always a 7/10 player for Rafa, now a complete liability

Ritchie...again never brilliant but with constant direction from Rafa reasonably useful....Now looks like a right winger playing as a left back

Hayden....a semi competent defensive midfielder, now spends more time on the ground complaining than trying to play

Longstaff 1....touted for a £50m move and cant even get ahead of Shelvey now

Longstaff 2....Arguably better than Longstaff 1, but punted up to Aberdeen where he can't even get in their team now.

Rafa had this lot (bar Willock) playing as a coherent effective team.  6 months of Bruceball and not one of them currently deserves to be starting a premier league game

Bruce never made any attempt to play them as a coherent effective team. Therefore his influence is nil, in this respect. We're a squad of Championship players from which Rafa got a quite pleasant tune. Bruce came along and blew in the wrong fucking end.

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Not anymore he doesn't....we've been Bruced and got a whole load more he hasn't got a clue about.

Could be advantageous

Exactly. How do you prepare against a team that won't even know themselves what they are going to do?

Lascelles had the perfect set-up for a good while - and I'm not digging him out here. 

At its best, he had two technical players either side of him in Schar/Lejeuene. They would do the forays up field, the fancy stuff, and clean up anything that came short. All Lascelles had to do was sit next to them and let them know what was happening. If it came in high it was his ball to win. If he needed to chase he could do that. I don't know when Rafa had the genesis of the idea to play us in a back three, I'd love to know, but he basically built a back three that was impeccable balanced. If Schar/Lejeune made a balls up you could trust Jamal to step in and clean up. We also didn't leave much space in behind which is what all defenders prefer. It's why I can look like Beckenbaeur at five a side and Bobby Davro on a 11aside pitch.

1 minute ago, Thiago said:

Lascelles had the perfect set-up for a good while - and I'm not digging him out here. 

At its best, he had two technical players either side of him in Schar/Lejeuene. They would do the forays up field, the fancy stuff, and clean up anything that came short. All Lascelles had to do was sit next to them and let them know what was happening. If it came in high it was his ball to win. If he needed to chase he could do that. I don't know when Rafa had the genesis of the idea to play us in a back three, I'd love to know, but he basically built a back three that was impeccable balanced. If Schar/Lejeune made a balls up you could trust Jamal to step in and clean up. We also didn't leave much space in behind which is what all defenders prefer. It's why I can look like Beckenbaeur at five a side and Bobby Davro on a 11aside pitch.

Tbf, even if Rafa isn't your cup of tea as a manager, he knows how to put together a team that will play exactly how he wants them to. He didn't buy Lascelles remember, he just saw someone who he could fit into his back 3 effectively, and as you rightly point out, that gave him a basis to fit two complementary ball playing CB's either side of him. It's just good management as opposed to not having a fucking clue, a la Bruce. 

3 hours ago, Manxst said:

The cunt that stamped on Tomisayu’s face the other week? No thanks- thought he was shite and every time I’ve watched him he’s ran around headless.

Haha remember when shearer volleyed Neil lennons head

Godfreys didn't have a patch on that

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

Haha remember when shearer volleyed Neil lennons head

Godfreys didn't have a patch on that

I remember when this club defended people who kicked opponents in the face.

How far we've fallen.

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Wouldn’t fancy us against Darlington based on Sunday. 

Need a massive improvement.

It wasn't that bad like (it was by no means acceptable either). Plus Everton don't have anyone the quality of Tielemans and Maddison to knob us on the break.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Willow said:

Do you want him to be?

Should I ?

Was thinking more about the Everton fans who are similar to the Mackem know how, the type of superiority, surely by now they'll be losing it, surely being beaten by Brighton at home is getting close to crunch time. 

Has to at least be allowed to let Everton lose to us before he goes. 

Fully expect the to panic and get a contrasting attacking coach in to appease fans. We should really just stick a bid in for lewin. 

All that said it would be perfect if they shat the bed and got a fat Sam or Bruce as stop gap. Probably better getting big Dunc back!

Edited by toontownman

We constantly go on about other fans/pundits etc telling us whats right for our club and then we do the exact same [emoji38]

Fair enough they weren't the most welcoming but even with their squad issues he's not doing a great job. Their local derby are one of the best teams on the planet and they obviously want to try and complete with them, Rafa doesn't look the manager for that.

As much as I loved him here I really didn't want him back after the takeover.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We constantly go on about other fans/pundits etc telling us whats right for our club and then we do the exact same [emoji38]

Fair enough they weren't the most welcoming but even with their squad issues he's not doing a great job. They're local derby are one of the best teams on the planet and they obviously want to try and complete with them, Rafa doesn't look the manager for that.

As much as I loved him here I really didn't want him back after the takeover.

Not wholly his fault obviously but he's doing a terrible job at the minute. 

Yes! to answer my own question #Rafaout is trending on Twitter, and they're entering full on meltdown. 

2 wins in the last 15.

6 points from 36.

They want Big Dunk at the wheel.

He was daft to go there imo.

Edited by mighty__mag