Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, madras said:

He reminds me of Jose. His time has gone. Football moves on and some can't keep up

I don't think it's this at all - I just think he joined a club that a.) didn't really want him b.) had already squandered £500Mil on players which meant Rafa had zero budget to work with.  The sad thing is he'd have ben tailor made for Newcastle as the current squad is mostly his players.

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

I'd have him as a DoF. Said that before getting Howe. RB as DoF and Howe as manager. 

Really don't think that'd work. Undermines Howe and Benitez is never a director.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, duo said:

I don't think it's this at all - I just think he joined a club that a.) didn't really want him b.) had already squandered £500Mil on players which meant Rafa had zero budget to work with.  The sad thing is he'd have ben tailor made for Newcastle as the current squad is mostly his players.

Some of that £500m was squandered on Lucas Digne, who I have a feeling will make Rafa look a bit of a tit if he does what he's capable of at Villa. 

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If we could get him in a temporary advisory role or something I would like[emoji38]

I've pulled that completely out of my arse mind.

I have no doubt that the thought will be crossing Amanda's mind.

Just now, Klaus said:

Purely hypothetical obviously, but If you could get rid of Howe today and get Rafa back, would you? 

Yes, just think (and always have) that Rafa or a manger in his style is what we needed for this season.

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Yes, he would have known how to get results with these mugs in the interim.

And then he would have already known exactly who he wanted to bring in to upgrade the team from January onwards and he would have had free reign financially and decision making wise to do so. It would have been perfect.

But he just wouldn't leave well alone with the Everton thing. It was like that reaction from their fans was a sign from God telling him to chill out and be patient, but he just didn't take heed man.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yes, he would have known how to get results with these mugs in the interim.

And then he would have already known exactly who he wanted to bring in to upgrade the team from January onwards and he would have had free reign financially and decision making wise to do so. It would have been perfect.

But he just wouldn't leave well alone with the Everton thing. It was like that reaction from their fans was a sign from God telling him to chill out and be patient, but he just didn't take heed man.

Textbook NUFC luck

If Howe doesn't keep us up and Rafa's available I'd bring him in. But probably only in that scenario. 

Sadly Howe isn't ticking the most important boxes at the moment, but I'd at least like to see him given the opportunity to with a team full of new recruits. However, if we go down it's an objective failure and almost definitely an avoidable one given the amount of games he's had and the (assumed) funds afforded to him. 

If we go down, Rafa is basically a sure thing regarding immediate promotion so I'd definitely see us considering that if he were available. 

Bringing him in whilst there's already a manager here is an absolutely hideous suggestion, mind. 

5 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Purely hypothetical obviously, but If you could get rid of Howe today and get Rafa back as manager, would you? 

No. Just no.

I loved what Rafa did with us but we must move forwards, not backwards.

I don't know if Rafa would work as a DoF or not but he has the clout and knowlege of the game for it. Whether or not we can bring in someone more suitable in the summer is another question, I deffinitely like the look of the Brighton lad.

I think (and again im pulling this out my arse) if we were to just ring him up and say "Rafa, we haven't got a fucking scooby what we're doing here, we'll pay you a few million quid if you'll come and give us a hand. You've worked in several countries at the highest level, we know you have contacts, talk to Howe about his plans for the club and try and work out a squad before the window shuts. Stay with us until the summer and every single staff member at the club will personally suck you off."

It's a win win for all involved. Howe would have to understand that regardless of how highly he may rate himself and his ideas he just won't have the connections and experience to be running a club like us without help.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

7 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Purely hypothetical obviously, but If you could get rid of Howe today and get Rafa back as manager, would you? 

I love Rafa but no. If our form is still rancid in a couple of months and we decide to get a new manager as a last throw of the dice - then maybe.