Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

This season if you’re not fighting relegation you’re pretty much pushing for Europe. If Charnley want us to not be involved in a relegation scrap then we’re going to be competing with the sides above us.

He wants us to win the relegation scrap, not necessarily not be involved in it.

Out of interest how many managers have just walked away after their contract has expired. Can’t think of any myself, as they have either resigned or been sacked

Valid question, and worth tweeting to a decent journo. It’s a different take on what is already an unusual story - when was the last time it happened, and how unusual were those circumstances?

One of the problems is that what would need to be spent to get us up there with the top 7 or so may possibly cost more than what we'd get back and that is the way MA will look at it.  I remember reading something a couple of years ago the in the Europa League you need to get as far as the semi final just to break even. That may well have change now but I think you need to get in the Champions league to really reap the benefits. Many clubs have tried to throw money at it to get there and failed

Guest firetotheworks

Plenty will be done once Rafa goes. The only problem is they'll probably be replaced by others.

IF Rafa stays I hope he tries to sign Mata and Hererra from Man U. Both have contracts that runs out. I think both are players that will suit us and maybe Rafa can persuade them to come here.

w-w-w-w-w-wages dude

Isn't that one of the issues Rafa wants to change IF he signs a new deal?

IF Rafa stays I hope he tries to sign Mata and Hererra from Man U. Both have contracts that runs out. I think both are players that will suit us and maybe Rafa can persuade them to come here.

w-w-w-w-w-wages dude

Isn't that one of the issues Rafa wants to change IF he signs a new deal?

maybe aye, but you're taking +£20m players at absolute best that have been on manyoo wages, we're not playing in that league either way imo

Get realistic man! One step at a time, not a quantum leap!! No way in a million with Ashley sanction this level of progression. Nor would they come to us unless we're at the top of the tree, in the Champions league etc....

Guest chopey

More and more links with new managers coming out (Gattuso the latest) almost as tho Ashley and Co are trying to put pressure on Rafa

In fairness I can see why Ashley wouldn’t want to spunk 50-100 million to just improve by a few places.

If cracking the top 4 was possible then he might be swayed but it’s virtually impossible and those teams around those places have reaped all that extra tv revenue for all these years now. We’re so far behind in terms of what they can afford.

Think Rafa could do some great things with extra budget for wages though.

Get realistic man! One step at a time, not a quantum leap!! No way in a million with Ashley sanction this level of progression. Nor would they come to us unless we're at the top of the tree, in the Champions league etc....

Ok, lets settle with Colback back from loan then!

The optimism in here, man...😧