Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I know you're all brought up with it, but why people still listen to shite like TalkSport is beyond me. Everyone knows it's just a pure wind up, complete waste of time.

Aye especially with the rise of podcasts. Match commentary aside talksport should be obsolete

Aside from the Benitez comments I agreed with a few things he said. The squad are nowhere near good enough overall.

The buck stops with Mike Ashley but there’s a bit of collective blame going back over 4/5 years.

Our midfield for example, it’s been poor for so long and neither Bruce or Benitez made good transfer decisions there. Both work/worked with Shelvey on a day to day basis. He should have been out of the club after the promotion season, it’s clear as day to us, so why not them.

The failure to control the midfield and keep hold of the ball there is and will continue to be the main reason why the defence is always under so much pressure.

Rafa of course would squeeze extra from this bunch but not loads.

Guest neesy111

Longstaff was off to Man U for £50 million under Rafa he can't even get on the bus now, I think you underestimate Rafa.

No he wasn’t.

This.

I thought he was linked with them ? I'm sure I read an article about him saying his drop in form was because his move broke down, I must be mistaken.

He was heavily linked with them and those kinds of figures were touted around. It was said we were holding out for that much for him.

I thought he was linked with them ? I'm sure I read an article about him saying his drop in form was because his move broke down, I must be mistaken.

You’re right - Longstaff looked unreal under Rafa!

Unreal ffs. He had 4 or 5 good games, that’s it.

Yeah lots of links and £50m was touted. Might have been garbage of course but he was a different player at the time

Unreal ffs. He had 4 or 5 good games, that’s it.

He was likened by many to Michael Carrick and has been said linked with a £50m move to Man Utd

Longstaff did look much much better under Rafa. That’s undeniable.

I’d also refute the suggestion Rafa didn’t bring anyone good into the midfield. I think Merino would have been mint if he’d stayed after recovering from that back injury.

Not to mention Shelvey was well and truly frozen out and would have been gone that summer if Rafa hadn't gone first.

Anyone throwing Rafa in with Bruce is talking nonsense in my opinion. The two couldn't be any further apart in terms of football knowledge.

I’d also refute the suggestion Rafa didn’t bring anyone good into the midfield. I think Merino would have been mint if he’d stayed after recovering from that back injury.

Definitely and I also think our fans underrated Diame!

Definitely and I also think our fans underrated Diame!

Problem with Diame was that he would range from prime Colback to prime Vieira in the space of a few weeks.

When he was good he was very good, one of the best we've had in the last 10 years in the centre.

By pure accident as well. He (Diame) was never meant to play in that role.

I’m not shitting on Rafa btw, but it’s nonsense to say that he had a midfield that were in control of things. Mostly due to Ashley not backing him properly but he still had overall yes or no on new players. He has about a 50% success rate with signings.

Murphy, Atsu, Lazaar, Ki, Muto, Gamez, Hanley, Sels, Joselu. That’s 50 million spunked right there and that doesn’t include the cost of wages.

Dubravka, Schär, Diame, Ritchie, Fernandez, Clark, Hayden, Lejeune and Gayle came in for roughly 55 million. Have been either very good or just ok

Not counting Merino as we didn’t get to see him enough but we also didn’t lose money on him so can’t be classed as a bad move, but not a great one either.

Overall Rafa got to make 28 signings including loans.