Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

The timing on that. :weep:

Still think he'll wait to see what happens with this takeover bollocks and if we stay up before making a decision as I think he'll jump at the chance to come back to an Ashley-less NUFC. Can see him at Spurs though.

I'm actually happy we won the Championship under Rafa on that epic final day than just getting promoted. At least we have the image of Rafa holding a trophy in our colours whenever there is a need for articles such as the above to show he wins trophies everywhere he's been including Newcastle.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, on reflection, Benitez coming here was a complete waste of time for everyone except Ashley. All it did was extended Ashley's tenure for at least 5 years longer and put a delay on the events that are happening now. If we'd been stuck with a no-mark manager at the start of the 16/17 season and had a few years in the wilderness then Ashley might have departed by now.

31 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, on reflection, Benitez coming here was a complete waste of time for everyone except Ashley. All it did was extended Ashley's tenure for at least 5 years longer and put a delay on the events that are happening now. If we'd been stuck with a no-mark manager at the start of the 16/17 season and had a few years in the wilderness then Ashley might have departed by now.

Unless it was Rafa that helped set up the Amanda Staveley interest, we don't know what's going to happen just yet.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

31 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I said throughout, it was a nice distraction but there was always the feeling it was a temporary sticking plaster on the disastrous club. I was enjoying it, but not completely because I was always waiting for it to collapse.

The Rafa years were an opportunity - I get the point it only in the end rewarded Ashley, but if we got sold while Rafa was here it could have been brilliant. Would rather have a top world class manager like Rafa here and hope of something changing during that time then more Bruce's leading us to more misery.

Rafa just proved the Ashley model will never work - he simply will not back a manager's vision for progression as he wants to sell the club - and the responsibility and consequences shift to the eventual buyer/s -  and doesn't want to fund it. It's why he's happy for managers like Bruce who won't complain and rewards that personal loyalty, rather than making public his grievances over broken promises. "Nothing more we could do" embodies this inability to care 

Bruce can only dream.of support like that. When we get fans back into SJP in May, hope it can be as dreadful and toxic as possible for Bruce as I'm sure we'll still be down there fighting relegation at that time.

That clip needs to tag players like Lascelles, Dubravka, Schar, Ritchie etc who were there on that day. Let them be reminded of how good it was compared to what they are going through now.

3 hours ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Unless it was Rafa that helped set up the Amanda Staveley interest, we don't know what's going to happen just yet.

Just about to say this.

If he brought Staveley to us then it was not a waste of time and could be our saving grace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...