Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Wonder how Rafa truly feels about being at Everton, especially now our takeover has happened.

They have got Liverpool next Wednesday and I think it could be the day the Scouse Mackems crowd turn on him if they get stuffed and the Liverpool fans are chanting his name. 

He was on a hiding to nothing when he took the job and it was a strange move. Much like his China move.

Everton’s recent performances have been absolutely minging. But we know he tends to finish stronger, so will be interesting to see how he does over the course of the season, if he gets that far.

15 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Wonder how Rafa truly feels about being at Everton, especially now our takeover has happened.

They have got Liverpool next Wednesday and I think it could be the day the Scouse Mackems crowd turn on him if they get stuffed and the Liverpool fans are chanting his name. 

It think he's safe no matter. The owners will be seeing how he operates and that'll be enough to convinve them to ignore the noise. 

Edited by Thumbheed

Watching MOTD saw it mentioned that Ivan Toney was actually at Newcastle for 3 years and only got 4 sub appearances. Must admit, along with Mbabu I just don't understand what Rafa didn't like. Can only assume it was the lifestyle,when you look at some of the players we kept on, were they so much better?

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Watching MOTD saw it mentioned that Ivan Toney was actually at Newcastle for 3 years and only got 4 sub appearances. Must admit, along with Mbabu I just don't understand what Rafa didn't like. Can only assume it was the lifestyle,when you look at some of the players we kept on, were they so much better?

I assume it was their lifestyle or not buying into what he wanted to achieve. Same reason he canned Mitro because he wouldn’t align with the fitness plan Rafa wanted.

Rafa wants model professionals like Rondon, who complies with exactly what he wants both on and off the pitch.

No doubt about it; having Toney, Armstrong and Mbabu in the squad this year and last would improve us no doubt, but you can't think they'd be the same players they are now even if they were afforded a chance. They've all left the club, and made something out of their careers and pushed on.

Especially forwards like Toney and Armstrong progressed and developed by being their sides main men from the off. Neither were at the level to be starting ahead of Gayle, Mitro, Perez or Murphy in Championship, let alone starting in PL. Rafa had to make do with Joselu, but even he was more fitting in Rafa's eyes to be trusted with minutes. Coming off the bench, and being fed to the wolves would have never made Toney or Armstrong the players they are now. 

Turning it up a notch, Chelsea can have the same gripe about KDB, Salah, Lukaku and even Cuardrado leaving the club; but all needed to leave, play games to progress their careers and develop into the players they became. Remember Mourinho talking about KDB coming to him saying he wants to play, and forced himself a move to Wolfsburg. 

19 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I assume it was their lifestyle or not buying into what he wanted to achieve. Same reason he canned Mitro because he wouldn’t align with the fitness plan Rafa wanted.

Rafa wants model professionals like Rondon, who complies with exactly what he wants both on and off the pitch.

Yeah, nor sure how that applies in the modern era. Mourinho also binned off a lot of young talent at Chelsea and where is he now?

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

As someone that hates Everton marginally more than Liverpool, that would be superb [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, Robster said:

Dread to think what Everton forums are like currently.

To be fair, there aren’t many managers who could only take one win from 10 games and survive significant criticism. 

Especially the manner of some of those defeats. Losing 5-2 at home to Watford.

If he doesn’t turn this game around he’s going to need a miracle with the run they’ve got coming up.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Just now, toon25 said:

Given the money Everton have spent in recent years, their squad is absolutely fucking awful.

They poached that chap from Leicester didn’t they? The one credited with scouting Mahrez and Kante. 

Walsh I think his name is. Obviously hasn’t worked out quite as well there.

25 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Given the money Everton have spent in recent years, their squad is absolutely fucking awful.

They're playing Brentford though, not Man City. The football is pretty dreadful which doesn't help. I hope for Rafa's sake the owners show some patience, but from the outside it doesn't look like the players have bought in to his methods at the moment. 

Mid-table without DCL and could they be dragged into a relegation fight? It’s not looking good for Rafa it has to be said, if they stick with him and back him in the transfer market, however, I think long-term he will bring a better degree of success for them than under previous managers. I fancy them to get a draw against Liverpool mind, still.

47 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They poached that chap from Leicester didn’t they? The one credited with scouting Mahrez and Kante. 

Walsh I think his name is. Obviously hasn’t worked out quite as well there.

Aye it’s Steve Walsh. An inadvertent Newcastle United legend.

Edited by WarrenBartonCentrePartin

51 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

I do wonder what's next for him if he leaves Everton. Going after the money again in some nothing league or a midtable club in Spain perhaps?

He's got to succeed here IMO otherwise he's not getting a big job again in the Premier. That type of football is not really successful any more, it's more suited to lower half teams who give the better teams the odd bloody nose.