Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Apart from us, he’s been shite. Shite at Everton, shite at Real, shite in China.

We’re clearly the exception, rather than the norm.

A bit like Mourinho, world class manager in his day but their methods are no longer bringing results.

Didn’t he have a huge haul of wins and goals scored before he was sacked at Madrid? 

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Apart from us, he’s been shite. Shite at Everton, shite at Real, shite in China.

A bit like Mourinho, world class manager in his day but their methods are no longer bringing results.

2015-16, played 25, won 17. Shite!

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Didn’t he have a huge haul of wins and goals scored before he was sacked at Madrid? 

A “haul of wins and goals scored”, including a 4-0 defeat to Barca and managing to draw 2-2 with Gary Neville’s Valencia.

They were 3rd at the time IIRC and four points adrift, a gap that was looking like increasing further as their form was deteriorating.

Zidane came in and did well though, didn’t he?

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

A “haul of wins and goals scored”, including a 4-0 defeat to Barca and managing to draw 2-2 with Gary Neville’s Valencia.

They were 3rd at the time IIRC and four points adrift, a gap that was looking like increasing further as their form was deteriorating.

Zidane came in and did well though, didn’t he?

He did, you can’t judge him on half a season though, howay it’s Madrid, a basket case of a club. And Mourinho git beat 5-0 once by Barca I think. 

Just now, HTT II said:

He did, you can’t judge him on half a season though, howay it’s Madrid, a basket case of a club. And Mourinho git beat 5-0 once by Barca I think. 

Can you not?

30 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We were the 7th best side in the league in his last half season in charge

11 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Don't know about him being shite at those places, could easily see him turning things around at Everton if he's given a full season, but I agree with the comparison with Mourinho. I just think the game has moved on and defensive football will only get you so far now. It's not going to win titles. 

Just now, HTT II said:

Rafa did a great job OVERALL here man, over 3 seasons. 

I haven’t said anything apart from the fact Rafa did well with us.

But that is one good job in the middle of three crap ones. 

He was great for us but people need to be able to see past that. We don’t need to ferociously defend Rafa at every opportunity.

Fantastic for us, but he looks a shadow of his previous self and nothing to suggest he’ll continue to do well at the top level.

Just now, TRon said:

Don't know about him being shite at those places, could easily see him turning things around at Everton if he's given a full season, but I agree with the comparison with Mourinho. I just think the game has moved on and defensive football will only get you so far now. It's not going to win titles. 

I don’t think it’s just necessarily the defensive football, I think most modern players are unwilling to buy into their demands.

Even if they do, it’s only for a short period before they get sick of the level of work demanded.

If results deteriorate they also seem to down tools very quickly.

Rafa has had very little time at Everton, he's been unlucky with injuries and he's improved the squad despite spending very little. If DCL and Doucouré stayed injury free they'd be doing better. I think having lots of fans against him won't help, and may even trigger his early exit.

If this was his second season I'd be worried as an Everton fan, but there's a lot that needs transforming and think it's too early to judge. If they leave Rafa and let him spend on a player or two in January I suspect second half of the season he will have them on it and finishing strong.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I haven’t said anything apart from the fact Rafa did well with us.

But that is one good job in the middle of three crap ones. 

He was great for us but people need to be able to see past that. We don’t need to ferociously defend Rafa at every opportunity.

Fantastic for us, but he looks a shadow of his previous self and nothing to suggest he’ll continue to do well at the top level.

I agree, he’s had a few shit jobs, but RE his time at NUFC he was a huge success and all I’m saying is I don’t gauge that on his final few months here because we were the 7th ‘best’ team on form. Madrid is a write off, he neither succeeded or failed because he simply didn’t have the time to prove one way or another. China was strange and a disaster basically for a manager of his calibre, Everton isn’t going to end well as he won’t be giving the time. If he was, he’d do well there. 

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I don’t think it’s just necessarily the defensive football, I think most modern players are unwilling to buy into their demands.

Even if they do, it’s only for a short period before they get sick of the level of work demanded.

Why is that not the case at Man City or Liverpool then? I think players like playing attacking football and won't down the tools as quickly if they enjoy what they do. 

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The ‘lesser’ players will. That’s where he needs to be managing, players like Lascelles where he can improve them just by way of coaching. He can do that at Everton, but won’t get the time.

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Why is that not the case at Man City or Liverpool then? I think players like playing attacking football and won't down the tools as quickly if they enjoy what they do. 

Not sure. But I don’t know much about what Guardiola and Klopp demand from their players.

I see Rafa and Mourinho as quite restrictive, whereas I assume Klopp and Guardiola encourage more flair and allow a bit more than the former. 

Equally why does Simeone get results with the same demands and style as Rafa/Mourinho?

Rafa’s methods, style, systems, coaching, will tire on the elite level players quickly so IMO as much as I love him, he’s not of the elite level anymore. 

Edited by HTT II

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

Not sure. But I don’t know much about what Guardiola and Klopp demand from their players.

I see Rafa and Mourinho as quite restrictive, whereas I assume Klopp and Guardiola encourage more flair and allow a bit more than the former. 

Equally why does Simeone get results with the same demands and style as Rafa/Mourinho?

I think the defensive style works pretty well against the better teams so it suits those who aren't aiming to win titles. FWIW I think Rafa would succeed to a point with Everton if he's given money and backing. They could easily get top 6 if they had an injury free season. 

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

That was a long time ago and you've cherry picked a run of games to judge him on. You could probably do the same with Bruce. Not sure why you'd think Id be biased. I'd have took him here over Howe before he arrived.

Not cherry picked. It was 2 1/2 years ago and that was the only period in his time here where we had a PL standard attack to complement the defence he’d built. The result was good football and a very good points return. 

Rafa's team have always been strong finishers. Seem to remember us being slow starters too, no way is he done at this level, just takes time for his methods to kick in, plus I'm not surprised his teams struggling without DCL, same was true with us when Rondon was out/not match fit.

Edited by Thumbheed

42 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Based on a poor 6 weeks at an injury-plagued Everton who finished 10th under one of the best managers in history last season? 

Real were, off the top of my head, 2 points worse off than Barca when he was sacked. He was hardly shite. And do fill us in about your knowledge of Chinese football; where should he have finished there? 

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Based on a poor 6 weeks at an injury-plagued Everton who finished 10th under one of the best managers in history last season? 

Real were, off the top of my head, 2 points worse off than Barca when he was sacked. He was hardly shite. And do fill us in about your knowledge of Chinese football; where should he have finished there? 

No. Based on 13 games so far this season where Everton find themselves closer to the relegation zone than Europe.

Based on watching Everton put in some dreadful performances, where the team selected (disregarding players not playing) should be achieving a result.

I’ve already answered the question above regarding Real.

In relation to China, based on the fact they finished in their second lowest ever position in the Super League and were knocked out of the cup earlier than they ever had been.

Edited by Fantail Breeze