Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, wormy said:

Think it's as simple as Everton not knowing what in God's name they're doing.

There is this and I know we are shambolic but let's not pretend he hadn't majorly contributed. 6 points in 13 games man.

Also us sacking him 2 days after selling one of our best players he ostracised is Everton. It is so Everton.

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

Crazy post. We got 12 points from our last 6 games under Rafa when we went down. He make a huge impact. It just wasn’t enough to undo McClaren’s tidal wave of damage. 

Crazy post for questioning bringing in a manager who didn’t keep us up, for the sole purpose of keeping us up :lol:  

Yes, with a much better team that still needed some time to gel. The belief here is our squad is crap so not sure why he’d change this so quickly.

However, he did indeed almost keep us up in a short time. Why are people so confident he’d be better than Howe though? He’s had an absolute stinker at Everton so it just seems odd people are assuming he’d turn it around based on previous form, when that’s the sole reason Howe is questioned over. 

1 minute ago, Neil said:

There is this and I know we are shambolic but let's not pretend he hadn't majorly contributed. 6 points in 13 games man.

Also us sacking him 2 days after selling one of our best players he ostracised is Everton. It is so Everton.

Normally can't be arsed to respond to rebuttals but by God I love you and your medium value wine loving arse.

I would like to reiterate I don't believe Rafa is blameless. Love the guy but he was an idiot taking the job in the first place, and has only made the situation worse for himself.

Equally, the club in general doesn't know what the fuck it's doing and it's seeped down to an appointment that simply shouldn't have happened in the first place. It's not the sole reason that Rafa had failed at all, but the reaction to his rumoured appointment should've been enough to tell the higher powers that it was going to end in tears. 

If Benitez comes here, he destroys his reputation at the club sadly. 

We need to move on. I say that as someone with his name tattooed on my leg 

Edited by Danh1

6 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Howe, who isn't good enough, has more points in less games than that. Benitez would be a massive risk to switch too as aswell. 

Not sure the comparison is so simple though. The players at Everton know they can half arse it and Rafa will take the fall due to his frosty relationship with the fans, which I think has been a contributing factor. 

That's not to say he hasn't dropped some bollocks since he's been there, because he certainly has, but "vibe" is important in football and it clearly wasn't right from the start. 

He's done poorly at Everton, no doubt, but the same set of players finished 10th with one of the greatest managers of all time at the helm. 

That to me suggests there's something terminal at Everton which goes beyond tactics, formations and management style. 

I'd wouldn't think twice about taking him, either way, I'd fancy us more in the championship with him than with Howe at this point in time. 

As others have alluded to, they finished 10th last season with the best manager of my lifetime. There’s obviously deep-rooted problems at Everton.

Was a massive wrong fit from the start, notwithstanding their brilliant league position in early autumn. 

10 minutes ago, Paully said:

Bring him home!

He's already home, just at the wrong club. Liverpool moved far beyond him years ago. I admire him for sticking to his principles, but they are best suited to cup runs these days. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

As others have alluded to, they finished 10th last season with the best manager of my lifetime. There’s obviously deep-rooted problems at Everton.

Was a massive wrong fit from the start, notwithstanding their brilliant league position in early autumn. 

Yup. Certainly was.

He has also massively contributed to our pathetic performance.

This club has gone through a shitload of embarrassment over the years and I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come. But this is an avoidable one. Sacking Howe, getting Rafa back in, only to still relegated, let's just not go down that road.

No guarantees Howe or Rafa can keep us up. Same goes, no guarantees we will definitely go down under either too. But I hope we only reassess our situation in the summer and not now. 

Edited by nufcjb

8 hours ago, DMLeazesender said:

They are not going to sack Howe and nor should they. It would stink of unprofessionalism and the media would have a field day. There is a long term plan in place and Howe is/was the starting point.

Not sure how anyone could look at the circumstances of Howe's appointment and believe it was part of some long-term masterplan, and not just a new ownership (with negligible experience of the game) selecting what they believed to be the best managerial candidate they were able to attract in incredibly hurried and difficult circumstances. Also not sure how anyone could watch our games since Howe's arrival and feel he is automatically deserving of a place in our long-term plan irrespective of results in the coming weeks. 

Also, who gives a fuck what the media say? Stop caring about them, they don't care about you.