Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Not gonna go on about it but I'd have him in tomorrow. Better chance of keeping us up than Howe and better chance of getting us promoted if we go down. 

Honestly, not sure he would. It would just confuse our players even more, the last thing we need is another change of styles, I think this lot are beyond defence at all costs, they can't even do that any more. 

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Aye of course, but we need a DoF, not a former and much loved manager in an unfamiliar role to undermine the existing manager...

Wouldn't have to be a DoF though, would just have to work with Howe until we get one in. Whether Rafa could take on a DoF role here or somewhere else I have no idea.

Just theorising here like, it's basically fantasy, but the idea would be that he helps the board with footballing decisions in any way he can and works with Howe in identifying players as we're in desperate need. He wouldn't be coming into training and telling Howe how to set us up.

Again, just fantasy, but I don't think it would be some outrageous decision or out if it ended up happening.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Wouldn't have to be a DoF though, would just have to work with Howe until we get one in. Whether Rafa could take on a DoF role here or somewhere else I have no idea.

Just theorising here like, it's basically fantasy, but the idea would be that he helps the board with footballing decisions in any way he can and works with Howe in identifying players as we're in desperate need. He wouldn't be coming into training and telling Howe how to set us up.

Again, just fantasy, but I don't think it would be some outrageous decision or out if it ended up happening.

Agree to disagree on that one. :thup:

I'd have him back, but only to watch him in the dugout putting them specs in his pocket again.

We have Howe now. I back Howe until he’s gone. Benitez has had his chances (for now). 

Mind, I did want him back for a long time. But I have moved on and want to see Howe succeed now!

Imagine him coming in and upsetting the Trippier and Howe love-in. Or ASM who nearly won us the match, but only after committing our biggest lapse of the first half, losing it on the halfway line.

I think the team is going in the right direction, but there is just so much ground to make up. After two months of Howe, I don't think our problem is lack of organization or effort. It is poor, error-prone footballers and an ingrained losing mentality, a lingering smell from when defeats had positives and being in the bottom three was "ticking over". If Rafa suffered from a lack of fit strikers at Everton, well guess what he'd walk into here.

Wonder if they've got someone already lined up? He's been under a ridiculous amount of pressure for months now, if they've been sensible then they'll have been asking a few questions for weeks now, his sacking has been inevitable.

Then again if they were sensible they would never have appointed him given the negative fan reaction before the ink was dry on his contract. Just a shit decision all round from all concerned, he needs to take stock and look for a new club that's a better fit for him in the summer.  

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Imagine him coming in and upsetting the Trippier and Howe love-in. Or ASM who nearly won us the match, but only after committing our biggest lapse of the first half, losing it on the halfway line.

I think the team is going in the right direction, but there is just so much ground to make up. After two months of Howe, I don't think our problem is lack of organization or effort. It is poor, error-prone footballers and an ingrained losing mentality, a lingering smell from when defeats had positives and being in the bottom three was "ticking over". If Rafa suffered from a lack of fit strikers at Everton, well guess what he'd walk into here.

What direction is that?  We've been awful all season and show no signs of turning the tide.

8 minutes ago, Stottie said:

If Simeone loved Trippier then I'm sure Rafa would. In terms of ASM, as exciting as he is going forward he is undeniably a massive problem in every other area. If Rafa returned and got rid of him I wouldn't be too upset tbh.

I voted for DoF or an advisory role, but in hindsight, I think if he came in over Howe, given his history, there'd always be that perceived threat to him (Howe), and people/media saying Rafa was just waiting to step back into the managers seat.

Probably best to leave the past where it is, and move on.

20 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Again, this is embarrassing. 

Loved Rafa wanted him for the job initially but we get behind Howe and PIF, even if that means we go down

More embarrassing to blindly tie your colours to HMS Bournemouth and Bust and salute him as we go down without a whimper.

If Howe doesn't now start picking up wins in the next 6 weeks then Benitez will be here before the end of February. Bookmark this.

Some people might think that relegation this season will be a mere inconvenient setback but, believe me, the Saudis wont see it that way. If we are not showing any sign of surviving within the next month then Howe will be gone and Benitez will be back. 

As crazy as it sounds, I think Howe is fighting for his job already. A look around the various NUFC forums over the last 24 hours has shown an incredible amount of vitriol directed at him and the shadow of Benitez has just made his job that bit harder.

I'm completely torn to be fair.

I think it is far too soon to remove Howe, but on one hand, we are heading in a VERY bad direction, at a fast pace, and results since he came in, have been awful.

Rafa just got the club, he just got it, even when he had to work under Mike Ashley.

Yesterday, when I said to myself, if we get rid of Howe, I struggled to see who we could possibly get to come in even if Howe were to leave. Well, given what has happened with Rafa and Everton today, this changes. There aren't many opportunities when class acts like Rafa become available.

12 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm just flapping like, tbh. I just want to feel like there's someone at the club who knows what to do[emoji38]

Exactly where I am at. I know we shouldn't bring Rafa back but at the same time, I want to shine a Batman-esque Rafa sign in the sky to ask for help.

Guest neesy111
28 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Again, this is embarrassing. 

Loved Rafa wanted him for the job initially but we get behind Howe and PIF, even if that means we go down

You think everything is embarrassing that you don't agree with tbf.

Although I do agree with the view at this time.