Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

I love Rafa but it blows my mind that anyone would look at Newcastle's more or less limitless wealth and directions to go in in terms of long-term football philosophy™ and think that we should choose Rafa's. It's pragmatic and effective when you're being hamstrung by Mike Ashley, or even if you have few financial constraints, but choosing his style of football when you have every style to choose from is just nihilistic :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

25 minutes ago, Robster said:

Exactly where I am at. I know we shouldn't bring Rafa back but at the same time, I want to shine a Batman-esque Rafa sign in the sky to ask for help.

Aye, like we know something isn't right. And we know that there's ways to sort it.

We can all theorise what those ways are but at the end of the day we need to do SOMETHING [emoji38]

Getting Rafa in some way would be something.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I love Rafa but it blows my mind that anyone would look at Newcastle's more or less limitless wealth and directions to go in in terms of long-term football philosophy™ and think that we should choose Rafa's. It's pragmatic and effective when you're being hamstrung by Mike Ashley, or even if you have few financial constraints, but choosing his style of football when you have every style to choose from is just nihilistic :lol:

I agree to a point. But we're in deep, deep shit as a club. If it was June and we were looking at a new season in the premier league I wouldn't be arguing for him, it's the context of the relegation battle and the probable championship season.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

See I’d disagree wit that to a point. I’d have supported his football style to have his long-term behind the scenes vision

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

So would you have chosen or choose Howe as that man ?

“Rafa gives us a better chance of avoiding relegation.” Ignoring the fact that Rafa wasn’t able to help us avoid relegation the first time we hired him, with a far better squad than what we have now. I’ll never blame him for that, mind, because Steve McClaren.

Sacking Howe to hire Rafa would absolutely be a small-time, knee-jerk, and frankly unprofessional move from our owners, who have shown themselves to be anything but those things to this point. I am fully convinced they are prepared to go down with Howe and have been since the day he was hired.

There is no quick, plug-n-play solution. This isn’t FIFA, where you can just pick up the sticks and knock out a few wins after a few bad results on the auto-simulation. Like it or not, the manager best positioned to help us avoid relegation is Eddie Howe. He’s trying to get Steve Bruce’s squad to play an entirely new brand of football (that is, to actually get them playing football). Hopefully it’ll take before we’re relegated, but if not he deserves the chance to build his own team from the Championship.

Edited by Tomato Deuce

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I love Rafa but it blows my mind that anyone would look at Newcastle's more or less limitless wealth and directions to go in in terms of long-term football philosophy™ and think that we should choose Rafa's. It's pragmatic and effective when you're being hamstrung by Mike Ashley, but choosing his style of football when you have every style to choose from is just nihilistic :lol:

Even when we had him the first time I wasn't particularly buzzin tbh. I mean I was, but you know what I mean, I always want free flowing football. It's great watching your team win but it's better being actually entertained.

Howe seems a perfect fit if there's a top class footballing structure around him, it's just a pity he's probably going to get us relegated before that happens [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye, like we know something isn't right. And we know that there's ways to sort it.

We can all theorise what those ways are but at the end of the day we need to do SOMETHING [emoji38]

Getting Rafa in some way would be something.

That something needs to be recognising the shortcomings in the squad and rectifying them by paying for the top targets. Not hanging onto the romanticisation of a manager who was last here 2 and a half years ago and has failed in both his jobs since in that time.

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

“Rafa gives us a better chance of avoiding relegation.” Ignoring the fact that Rafa wasn’t able to help us avoid relegation the first time we hired him, with a far better squad than what we have now. I’ll never blame him for that, mind, because Steve McClaren.

Sacking Howe to hire Rafa would absolutely be a small-time, knee-jerk, and frankly unprofessional move from our owners, who have shown themselves to be anything but those things to this point. I am fully convinced they are prepared to go down with Howe and have been since the day he was hired.

There is no quick, plug-n-play solution. This isn’t FIFA, where you can just pick up the sticks and knock out a few wins after a few bad results on the auto-simulation. Like it or not, the manager best positioned to help us avoid relegation is Eddie Howe. 

:clap: 

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

There is no quick, plug-n-play solution. This isn’t FIFA, where you can just pick up the sticks and knock out a few wins after a few bad results on the auto-simulation. Like it or not, the manager best positioned to help us avoid relegation is Eddie Howe. 

In a nutshell :thup: 

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Better football to watch long term. 

We haven't been watching the same team in that case but if we're taking the long view, who do you think stands a better chance of winning something? Because that's the criteria that should really inform your opinion. 

I think it's easy to forget that Rafa really, really struggled to keep us in the league for large parts of the season and that those same players he struggled to do it with are still here and even shitter.

Totally get why some would want to twist rather than stick with Howe, but our situations aren't the same as when he was last here and I don't think he's the silver bullet any more than new signings are.

Not sure Rafa's style is really ideal for a championship season when you should have the best squad. Think there was times last time where we risked a lot of games by giving inferior teams far too much respect. It worked in the end but a lot of the time it wasn't pretty.

3 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I agree to a point. But we're in deep, deep shit as a club. If it was June and we were looking at a new season in the premier league I wouldn't be arguing for him, it's the context of the relegation battle and the probable championship season.

Absolutely true for both posts. I don’t think Rafa would be who we want long term, because KI is right, eventually we want to build a much more progressive brand of football. But despite the money, we are absolutely fucked right now. We need a more pragmatic approach to survival and getting at least some of the basics right, which we aren’t doing at all.

I have absolutely nothing to back this up but I wonder if the for/against Rafa has anything to do with fans ages.

I'm thinking maybe older fans are against Rafa coming back and younger ones are in favour of a Rafa return.

Like I say, nothing to back this up.... and neither is right or wrong......it was just a random thought and we are all entitled to our opinion regardless of age or anything else.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No, but that ship has sailed imo. As soon as we got Howe, I drew a line under Rafa and would have done the same with my other choice Emery. 

Agreed, however I’m thinking purely who I feel would give us a better chance over the next few months at keeping us up.

4 minutes ago, DMLeazesender said:

I have absolutely nothing to back this up but I wonder if the for/against Rafa has anything to do with fans ages.

I'm thinking maybe older fans are against Rafa coming back and younger ones are in favour of a Rafa return.

Like I say, nothing to back this up.... and neither is right or wrong......it was just a random thought and we are all entitled to our opinion regardless of age or anything else.

I resent being called older