Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

@Sean Rafa, I fucking love and I would have him back but the issue is his, along with Howe's training and tactics take a long time to take effect.  You can research both, with Rafa, us going down is a casing point.  With Howe look at his former clubs.

We also have to factor in these players have been ruined by Bruce because of a lack of coaching for years.

Some have responded, some haven't.  I thought we would have had better results just from training but its a completely different approach ( actually coaching the players).

Eddie has been hamstrung from the start(covid) and we have been very unlucky and I'll never fucking forgive Clark for that sending off as we would have won that game. 

Because of various unfortunate bollocks we didn't get the new manager bounce and have been unlucky.  We look shite now so we need a few signings and I think we will be ok.

I think its now or never for Rafa to come back.

We know he was definitely AS's first choice and that the consortium made tentative approaches before appointing Howe so there remained an ambition for Rafa to spearhead the revolution 4 months ago.

So the question for them to now ask and answer is 2 fold - firstly if we are in the Championship next year who is in the dug out and then secondly do they have more faith in Howe or Rafa to make that question redundant.

If the answer to the second is Rafa then they need a real long hard look into question 1.

There is no value in keeping Howe if Rafa is the choice when it goes wrong and I doubt the consortium will be anything other than cool and collected in making the call either way

32 minutes ago, Carlito said:

I wouldn't necessarily say Rafa's methods took a long time to work here (although that depends on what you'd define as a long time in fairness). We ended the 15/16 season 6 games unbeaten, conceding only 4 goals which were against Liverpool, Man City and Spurs. Not bad at all for a relegated side.

people forget.

36 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

I don’t believe there’s a single manager we could realistically hire at this point who’d be better positioned to keep up this squad than Howe. Anyone we get in would be starting from square one AGAIN, albeit with the same squad; it’s not plug-n-play. We’ve committed to Howe to let him implement his system come hell or high water. It’ll either come off this season and we’ll stay up, or he’ll be revamping the squad next season in the Championship.

Y’all are kidding yourselves if you think Howe was hired as a mercenary manager with the sole mandate to keep the squad in the Premier League. He’s quite clearly someone PIF is investing in with a view to the bigger picture. *Even if that means we’re going down with him.*

And it has nothing to do with loyalty to Howe. He’s working with Bruce’s broken squad, trying to get them playing actual football instead of “hoof it up field and run around a bit, lads.” I’m not saying results haven’t been disappointing and we’re not in need of significant investment. 

There's not a chance that PIF hired Howe in the belief that we might be relegated this season and therefore he'd be the man for the next 3 years regardless. If we go down then he has failed and should be sacked. I'm near certain that PIF will take this view too, otherwise losing will be being rewarded. That's not how a successful, winning organisation operates. 

To be honest everton side he managed had its best players out almost whole season, their main strikers were absent,  their main central defender was out, rest of  their squad is really poor. They didn't even give him any money to spend. 

And the fans were toxic from the beginning, they would just question every decision of his. Worst fans i have ever seen.

But rafa has this on himself, he should have judged the fans reaction, players just doesn't care when manager is extremely unpopular and that's what probably happened there. 

I read somewhere when their whole squad was available they won 5 out 6 games. So probably down to injuries and fans ? 

10 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I think its now or never for Rafa to come back.

We know he was definitely AS's first choice and that the consortium made tentative approaches before appointing Howe so there remained an ambition for Rafa to spearhead the revolution 4 months ago.

So the question for them to now ask and answer is 2 fold - firstly if we are in the Championship next year who is in the dug out and then secondly do they have more faith in Howe or Rafa to make that question redundant.

If the answer to the second is Rafa then they need a real long hard look into question 1.

There is no value in keeping Howe if Rafa is the choice when it goes wrong and I doubt the consortium will be anything other than cool and collected in making the call either way

I reckon that Howe has the next 5 matches to show he is going to get us out of this mess or he's a goner.

Reappointing Rafa would be a backwards-looking move of pure nostalgia. He's firmly in the Mourinho zone. Will always love the guy but his time has passed. You're desperate to feel the same way as his first time around but it's never the same. No thank you.

3 minutes ago, thomas said:

Reappointing Rafa would be a backwards-looking move of pure nostalgia. He's firmly in the Mourinho zone. Will always love the guy but his time has passed. You're desperate to feel the same way as his first time around but it's never the same. No thank you.

There’s nothing to base this on. He overachieved hugely with us and he can’t be remotely judged with any degree of accuracy on what’s happened since. 

Despite his cool exterior he likes to be loved and it shows in his success’ or failures.

It’s a bit simple to say he’s yesterdays man or that his ship has sailed. To say that about him would be to say that about other managers of his ilk, like Carlo Ancelotti for example.. who also did shit at Everton but is running away with La Liga.

It’s the same as players, some settle in a particular club where it just works out where it wouldn’t somewhere else.

Rafa works here, he gets the place and he knows how to polish a turd. Eddie also gets the place here and I think for the most part people are behind him but he doesn’t have the experience that Rafa does, for what the consortium are looking in several places for to solve a puzzle, they need only look in one place when it comes to Rafa.

Now I’m not for a minute saying we need to ditch Eddie Howe, he’s not had enough time and I think the signings we’re going to make will transform the side but I’m worried about his defensive side of management, even bringing in top class defenders, they’ll still need instruction to be a cohesive unit.

Looking at our fixtures, the winnable games are running out quickly..

1 minute ago, Ronaldo said:

There’s nothing to base this on. He overachieved hugely with us and he can’t be remotely judged with any degree of accuracy on what’s happened since. 

If you buy in to that idea - which I don't - then the inaccuracy argument still goes both ways: if you can't accurately judge him then you can't just assume he's better than the poor results. He could be worse than the results.

It's time to move on.

21 minutes ago, thomas said:

You will see Mourinho coming back on top  once again  and so will Benitez, they are smart managers, they just need time, both of them have a certain philosophy which takes a certain time to show results, give any one of them 3-4 seasons and you shall see them overarchiving even with limited means. 

And yes both of them thrives on fans support, which unfortunately Benitez utterly lacked at his last job. I have seen majority of everton fans saying at his appointment that they won't back him even if he has them back in the champions league position. 

Edited by Dwivedi

18 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Mate, was wondering when you were going to show up!