Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

35 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Nice to see he’s wound up the usuals with that interview - hairy hands and Edwards

I can see him doing very well with the Leicester squad. 

Neither of these idiots could ever come close to the influence Rafa has had on the game. They play bit part with antagonistic intent marginally at best. 

Think the Leicester job would be a bit of a disaster again sadly. A club on a downward trajectory without a pot to piss in. 

Sadly the exact type of job he’d take. Saying that, I cannot see him being offered it. As said by others, his stint at Everton has somewhat damaged his reputation. 

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Made a rod for his own back taking the Everton job, find it very hard to have sympathy for him regarding that. Still love him and grateful for the job he did here, mind.

I haven't watched the video but Rafa doesn't strike me as the kind to seek sympathy for his mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mental that Bruce always gets hired and Rafa is poison.

Being English, ex Man United, a perennial loser and having friends in the right places trumps being a *spit* filthy foreigner with their fancy pants tactics. 

We would not have had this takeover without Rafa.

Fuck Bruce and whatever he said about keeping us ticking over. Rafa showed what this club could be with a bit of belief and full backing and PCP, Reubens and PIF saw that potential while Rafa was there. 

I don’t think it can be overstated how important Rafa’s part in this was. 

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I just wish for his sake that he'd never taken it, really. Speaks volumes of the man that there doesn't appear to be a shred of bitterness despite the flak he got from the supporters there; says he enjoyed it and that it was just 'a shame.'

He's surely got another good job left in him and I really hope for his sake that he finds it. Who knows where; maybe some equivalent of us over in Spain or France. Who would that be?

No bitterness because he's doing a puff PR piece to throw his hat in the ring for the Leicester job! 

Doesn't mean he isn't lying through his teeth that he "couldn't change things inside" at Everton because he's a red.

He literally came in and won a power battle with the DOF and scrapped most of the medical, scouting and recruitment departments without any replacements lined up for the latter two. He was allowed to change far TOO much in a very short space of time. We had no senior recruitment staff for the January window and his medical people left us in the lurch when he got sacked.

Kevin Thelwell seems to have done a good job since the summer of cleaning up his mess, appointing new staff and putting some proper structures back in place.

Very easy for Rafa to blame his past on getting sacked, and not the run of 1 win in 14 or the way he conducts himself.

I don't see him getting any more Premier League opportunities, because his diminishing returns on the pitch mean he's not worth all the hassle he causes behind the scenes. He should either drop down a level or retire, but his ego would probably struggle with either option. 

1 hour ago, 1878 said:

Very easy for Rafa to blame his past on getting sacked, and not the run of 1 win in 14 or the way he conducts himself.

Not able to comment on much of that, but I'd tend to agree with this bit. It's a bit of a Bruce excuse, when actually it was the job he did that got him fired there. 

As for the way he conducts himself part...I can only judge from his time here where he rarely put a foot wrong. But he is, no doubt, stubborn, picks fights and needs everything his own way. In our case, he needed to, as everything was rotten.

So, he did a good job here overall, but in my opinion is quite overrated on here for that. I wouldn't want him back now.

It also did come across like a blatant job interview. Don't go with these young new managers, go with an older one like you would with an open heart surgeon, they're the best...[emoji38]

1 hour ago, 1878 said:

No bitterness because he's doing a puff PR piece to throw his hat in the ring for the Leicester job! 

Doesn't mean he isn't lying through his teeth that he "couldn't change things inside" at Everton because he's a red.

He literally came in and won a power battle with the DOF and scrapped most of the medical, scouting and recruitment departments without any replacements lined up for the latter two. He was allowed to change far TOO much in a very short space of time. We had no senior recruitment staff for the January window and his medical people left us in the lurch when he got sacked.

Kevin Thelwell seems to have done a good job since the summer of cleaning up his mess, appointing new staff and putting some proper structures back in place.

I don't see him getting any more Premier League opportunities, because his diminishing returns on the pitch mean he's not worth all the hassle he causes behind the scenes. He should either drop down a level or retire, but his ego would probably struggle with either option. 

Find it very hard to disagree with much of that, in spite of my personal admiration of him for what he did here.

Post more @1878 :thup:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

Would have loved to have seen him lead us for same games in Europe. Would have felt confident against a lot of opponents based on his tactical excellence. I prefer Eddie’s style of play though and know I’ll get more enjoyment out of the way we bully opposition long-term under Howe. Would love to see Rafa back in the game though

3 hours ago, 1878 said:

From the outside looking in, and not to say he was without blame but he was on a hiding to nothing taking that job.

A lot of the damage was done there long before he turned up.

My sister, who works as an MD for O2, was given tickets to the Man City vs Dortmund game with her husband. 

Turns out she was directly next to him for the game. Super jealous when she showed me the pictures. She said he was very friendly and was scribbling notes during the game.  

Wish she'd asked me to go! 

4 hours ago, Abacus said:

Not able to comment on much of that, but I'd tend to agree with this bit. It's a bit of a Bruce excuse, when actually it was the job he did that got him fired there. 

As for the way he conducts himself part...I can only judge from his time here where he rarely put a foot wrong. But he is, no doubt, stubborn, picks fights and needs everything his own way. In our case, he needed to, as everything was rotten.

So, he did a good job here overall, but in my opinion is quite overrated on here for that. I wouldn't want him back now.

It also did come across like a blatant job interview. Don't go with these young new managers, go with an older one like you would with an open heart surgeon, they're the best...[emoji38]

Agreeing with you here. I’m fact I’d say very good job overall - you can’t really knock his achievements, but neither was it a smooth ride any of the seasons and we had to make do with very frustrating performances that wouldn’t look out of place with some of our far less popular managers. 

I think it’s fair to say he did both a great job here and a terrible job at Everton. His style won’t be effective everywhere and he has to accept sticking with the same approach (on and off the field) won’t always work and he should accept the blame for that. Won’t be the first or last successful manager to get it wrong somewhere. However, I would say his track record from the last 15 years or so doesn’t shout world-class - the game has progressed and his limitations have become more apparent now. 

For not just his management but how he conducted himself and engaged with the fans, he can stay a legend here though and that’s what matters. 

Edited by St. Maximin