Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, St. Maximin said:

It wasn't cleat you weren't referring to Everton, but if you read his post again it's very reasonable. It is absolutely fair to acknowledge the downsides to his approach (we failed to get a shot on target at home to relegated Fulham for example) even if you're going to praise his overall work. We criticise our best players regularly, so fair enough for managers too.

It's a well written post, but it is an attempt to define him based on the last 5 years in a career lasting over 30. 

His teams and performances are questioned every year, without fail, despite the fact that every year he is vindicated.

We won the Championship in the dying moments of the season. Pushing for an extra goal against Burton Albion, might have ended that. It might not of course, but imagine if it did.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

It's a well written post, but it is an attempt to define him based on the last 5 years in a career lasting over 30. 

His teams and performances are questioned every year, without fail, despite the fact that every year he is vindicated.

We won the Championship in the dying moments of the season. Pushing for an extra goal against Burton Albion, might have ended that. It might not of course, but imagine if it did.

Imagine if we'd gone in search of a second, they broke and equalised. Imagine Rafa came out and blamed fan expectation.

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

No, it wasn't. :thup:

Well in the context of the meaning to my post it certainly seemed like it.

But mate, it was all in good faith. My "patronising" response was more of a dig at those who are responsible for the writing of football history. They're pretty much the same people that wrote Rafa off every year, so I did acknowledge that you are unlikely to read about that aspect of Rafa's history.

But anybody who lived through those years will tell you the truth.

Edited by Happinesstan

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Well in the context of the meaning to my post it certainly seemed like it.

Given the context of the posts and discussion at the time I thought you were partaking in the chat regards to him failing at Everton. If you weren't then ah well.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Given the context of the posts and discussion at the time I thought you were partaking in the chat regards to him failing at Everton. If you weren't then ah well.

I've already made that clear but 'll do so again. I was commenting on those using Rafa's "poorer" performances at NUFC to question his methods in relation to his failure at Everton. The fact that his methods were successful here can not be used to explain why they failed elsewhere.

I deliberately exclude Everton from my post, so as to separate the two.

Edited by Happinesstan

54 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

This has been mentioned before but it's a very unfair comparison. Lampard took over a shambles of a team midway through the season, whereas Rafa took over a team at the start of the season that finished midtable the year before. I know people here want to see Lampard fail because he isn't Rafa/left-wing, but it's fair to say he did a better job than Rafa given the context. Time will tell whether he'll do a decent job overall.

Not sure it is fair to say he did a better job than Rafa, the numbers so far this season don’t support it either. Last season, there was certainly not the kind of new manager bounce you would expect, based on the theory that Rafa was in some way a toxic influence at least.

Personally, I don’t want to see Lampard fail. In fact, and I may be in the minority here, but I have a soft spot for Everton. Know the area reasonably well and in some ways it reminds me of where I grew-up. Similar people, similar struggles. I do, however, think he will fail. Hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

It's an interesting comparison, if only because Lampard has the full support of the fans and the media, he has no reputation or methods, but hey.

Not saying these things don't have an impact, but the reality is clearly far less black and white then one manager gaining full support and the other not. The general trend with football fans remains the same across the club - they will turn on you when you've annoyed them.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Maybe so, but I doubt he also planned Brighton to get complacent after gaining promotion and Grealish to score a late equaliser. We won the league fair and square, so he has to get credit for that, but it wasn't a smooth ride.

39 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not sure it is fair to say he did a better job than Rafa, the numbers so far this season don’t support it either. Last season, there was certainly not the kind of new manager bounce you would expect, based on the theory that Rafa was in some way a toxic influence at least.

Personally, I don’t want to see Lampard fail. In fact, and I may be in the minority here, but I have a soft spot for Everton. Know the area reasonably well and in some ways it reminds me of where I grew-up. Similar people, similar struggles. I do, however, think he will fail. Hope I’m wrong. 

Not assuming you would mate :thup:. He isn't popular here though. Speaking to Everton fans I play cricket with though, they seemed happy enough with how the team had performed since he came in and that he'd need longer to be judged. Perhaps not a new manager bounce, but the performances improved and they picked up form towards the end that kept them safe.

1 hour ago, St. Maximin said:

Maybe so, but I doubt he also planned Brighton to get complacent after gaining promotion and Grealish to score a late equaliser. We won the league fair and square, so he has to get credit for that, but it wasn't a smooth ride.

He doesn't have to. Like I say, if we'd gone hunting glory, vs Burton Albion, and ended up drawing, we're not in the race on the final day.

On 21/09/2022 at 01:21, LV said:

We would not have had this takeover without Rafa.

Fuck Bruce and whatever he said about keeping us ticking over. Rafa showed what this club could be with a bit of belief and full backing and PCP, Reubens and PIF saw that potential while Rafa was there. 

I don’t think it can be overstated how important Rafa’s part in this was. 

This x 1,000,000

Yep, no Rafa = no takeover - 100%!

I'm extremely happy with Howe but Rafa must be gutted he took that Everton job on (especially after their reaction just before he was confirmed) what with the takeover happening just a few months later!

21 hours ago, Nine said:

Jordan has always hated him for some reason

Have another listen, he literally lists out his reasons. SJ was a club owner, so he will be pro-owners. Rafa is known for squeezing owners, so it's no brainer for me while he isn't keen on Rafa. He also says he has no issues with his coaching talent.

Rafa coming back to Newcastle at any point would be a disaster now imo.

It was easy to put up with the dull football when it was pragmatism and the us vs them feeling when we were completely hamstrung and he was a huge coup in our circumstances.

I couldn't put up with it now having got a taste of the much more exciting possession based football Howe is aiming for.

47 minutes ago, Menace said:

That ship has sailed I reckon & no chance Howe gets binned off that quickly

IF we finish around 10th or lower this season and have a poor start next season he’ll be gone. I don’t think it’ll happen, because I’ve got faith.

But make no mistake, a lot of money has been spent on a team that have finished 12th and 11th last couple of seasons and if there’s no tangible return on that investment they’ll just look elsewhere. Mediocrity won’t be accepted. 

14 hours ago, Theregulars said:

“For some reason” - he’s foreign

There’s an element of truth in this from the media as a whole and also I don’t like Jordan, but in this case I’m not sure he’s said an awful lot wrong, apart from maybe being a bit harsh about the Newcastle football.

Rafa I’m sure often is a nightmare to work with. Somewhat ironically, therefore, having Ashley as his owner helped him as the fans would side with him. Elsewhere, maybe not so much and he should accept that and take responsibility for his mistakes.