Rafa Benítez (unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Forever indebted to this bloke. Not only did he sort of initiate the takeover, but he was a shining light in a prolonged dark period for the club.

I absolutely hate how in recent years his impact has been downplayed by many of our fans (certainly in my friendship group). 

Yes, it was fundamentally pragmatic - but it had to be. We comfortably stayed up with essentially the 16/17 squad and picked up some decent scalps along the way. Ran on a shoestring and made us hard to beat and really bought into the cloob/city. Even when we didn't win in our first 8 or 9 or whatever it was I never really thought we'd go down - in fact I'm convinced we'd have stayed up in 15/16 had he been brought in a game or two before he did after we were beaten by Chelsea 5-1 before a 3 week gap in fixtures.

The second half of 18/19 after we signed Almiron was probably the most enjoyable period of the Ashley era for me personally, including 11/12.

Love the bloke and always will.

I think for most of us it was just great to have a coach who knew how to set out a team with an identity. A lot of people criticise him in hindsight but for me it was fascinating to see us play to a plan with a man who clearly studied the game meticulously. I can't stand Liverpool, but pretty sure even after all their recent glory they will still have a healthy respect among the fanbase for what he did there.

He was class at buying defenders like. Forwards not so much :lol: He gets a pass for the sheer fact I know they'd have been 4 or 5 on the list of targets.

I dunno about that mind. Rondon was really good for us and with hindsight he was right about Joselu.

Love Rafa. I really enjoyed that period with the club and fell back in love with it again, which amazes me when I remember Ashley was still here at the time because thinking back you'd be forgiven if you forgot that he was. Its such a shame he left and was followed by Steve Bruce who if I remember correctly made several sly digs at Rafa at the start of his time here, such is the nature of that complete tosser. Hope Rafa has a great day and comes back to SJP to see a game again soon.

I don't think the takeover happens without Rafa, like. 

Him uniting the fans with the club even under Ashley gave a glimpse of the potential of the club. 

If we'd went for Steve Bruce for instance after McClaren, I don't think we'd have looked an attractive proposition at all. 

I will always appreciate what Rafa did for us, every match we went into I always thought we had a chance in, even against the really big sides. You just knew he'd have a plan and that whilst we might not win, he'd at least get most things right in our approach.

I don't care what he has or hasn't done since leaving us, that cannot and will not ever have any effect on how I feel about his tenure here. It's utterly irrelevant. Here he was great, and that's all I care about.

17 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I dunno about that mind. Rondon was really good for us and with hindsight he was right about Joselu.

Aye Rondon was absolutely sound, I should have specified that. But I’m not giving him credit for Joselu :lol:  Plenty of players are late bloomers or just not suited to a league and that’s fine.

Like I said though, it’s a pass because we just know that Joselu (and probably Rondon to be fair) would have been number 3/4/5 on the list of targets.  

Aye Rondon was absolutely sound, I should have specified that. But I’m not giving him credit for Joselu :lol:  Plenty of players are late bloomers or just not suited to a league and that’s fine.

Like I said though, it’s a pass because we just know that Joselu (and probably Rondon to be fair) would have been number 3/4/5 on the list of targets.  

That was what frustrated me the most when we lost him and gained Bruce... The front three of Perez, Rondon and Miggy had started to play some canny stuff (compared to previous seasons) and it felt that the team didn't need much tweaking only for it all to get chucked away over a few million... Obviously Joelinton then to Joelinton now is a very different beast! 

On 16/04/2024 at 14:58, Kid Icarus said:

Got Ayoze into a contributing forward as well.