Brighton & Hove Albion 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 24/09/17 (post-match from p25)

Rich

So the MOTD2 Brighton wankfest completely ignored the stamp incident and never even mentioned it??!!

"we'll talk more about Newcastle later"

aye right

Yep. Nothing on it at all. Even the commentary during the replay in the highlights didn't make much of it.

It's a shame, I felt we did enough to get a point but Brighton defended well tbf.

9 points from 6 is solid though. The key thing is not to go on a bad run (5-6 games without a win). I don't think Rafa will let that happen.

We'll lose some games this season, but I'd back us to recover and respond.

As long as we've winning 1 in 3, we'll be fine. We need investment in January, but we have Rafa.

He'll have a plan for the big teams, and you'd hope we get a couple unexpected results there.

Getting beyond a joke this is like :lol:

This is where The Chronicle should flex their media muscles and call out these f***ing idiots.

Aye just posted in the officiating thread, gets to a point where I'm passed laughing it off and it starts to get vehemently irritating.

Guest firetotheworks

Not watched it but I think if they haven’t then it shows a massive bias in the coverage of Mitrovic. They were begging for him to be punished for something I doubt you’ll see another red for this season

Have to say that I agree tbh. Both are just as contentious and have probably been judged on reputation.

Same exact thing was given a Red by the same ref and was missed today by said ref. It’s as easy and simple as that. Our papers should be going nuts tomorrow.

Shelvey did it right in front of him. He didn't see it today as none of the other players did. Its the FA's responsibility to ban him or not

The incident has just been mentioned/shown on the Good Morning Britain sports bulletin.

Seems it has hit the media overnight, despite MOTD2 doing their best to pretend it didn't happen.

Hughton and the player both saying it was 'accidental'.  :rolleyes:

Guest Howaythetoon

I fucking hate this whole sitting back and trying to soak up pressure like. We showed during the actual game that we can retain possession and move the ball about and cause lots of problems. I thought as a team we played as individuals at times, relying on say Merino or Ritchie and whenever it broke down with them we looked toothless. When they clicked though we caused problems again. Joselu was easily bossed all game and doesn't have the pace to cause problems in a different way.

Our best player was Merino and then Elliott, the rest were extremely average. Shelvey looked good when he came on and Ritchie and Perez didn't stop working, but they were poor with their final ball or shooting.

Last 3 minutes was shit, we needed to load it into the box and we just fannied around.

An annoying performance and a defeat that was easily avoided. On chances alone we probably deserved a point.

Happy for Hughton though!

I'm not sure what to think like, I think we show shite teams far too much respect, yesterday and the Huddersfield game we just looked fucking bad against poor opposition. We just never looked comfortable and they (especially Brighton) were clearly in control of the game. Letting them have all of the ball and then being incredibly sloppy and wasteful the limited time we have it.

On the other hand when we look sharp and our passing and pressing is better - like against West Ham, Swansea and Stoke - we look really comfortable in creating chances without the ball.

EDIT: Ultimately I suppose it just comes down to the inconsistencies of having a fairly poor squad.

So the MOTD2 Brighton wankfest completely ignored the stamp incident and never even mentioned it??!!

"we'll talk more about Newcastle later"

aye right

Anyone remember Ray Stubbs one man crusade to get Cabaye retrospectively banned after the match at Brighton in 2012. He seemed to devote half the tv programme to it.

I'm not sure what to think like, I think we show s**** teams far too much respect, yesterday and the Huddersfield game we just looked f***ing bad against poor opposition. We just never looked comfortable and they (especially Brighton) were clearly in control of the game. Letting them have all of the ball and then being incredibly sloppy and wasteful the limited time we have it.

On the other hand when we look sharp and our passing and pressing is better - like against West Ham, Swansea and Stoke - we look really comfortable in creating chances without the ball.

EDIT: Ultimately I suppose it just comes down to the inconsistencies of having a fairly poor squad.

A young squad with varied PL experience.

My issue with yesterday's performance is the respect thing you said as well - in the matches we won, we played with intelligence and looked fearless in our press, attack, etc. We looked nervous and slightly fearful at both Huddersfield and Brighton; hell maybe it has to do with playing them and knowing them last season? I don't know. But we didn't show any of that fear or nerves versus Swansea, West Ham or Stoke. I doubt we'll play with that fear at home to Liverpool either.

I'm not sure what to think like, I think we show s**** teams far too much respect, yesterday and the Huddersfield game we just looked f***ing bad against poor opposition. We just never looked comfortable and they (especially Brighton) were clearly in control of the game. Letting them have all of the ball and then being incredibly sloppy and wasteful the limited time we have it.

My issue with yesterday's performance is the respect thing you said as well - in the matches we won, we played with intelligence and looked fearless in our press, attack, etc. We looked nervous and slightly fearful at both Huddersfield and Brighton; hell maybe it has to do with playing them and knowing them last season? I don't know. But we didn't show any of that fear or nerves versus Swansea, West Ham or Stoke. I doubt we'll play with that fear at home to Liverpool either.

In hindsight, while I wasnt against the plan, I do wonder if it had been more advantageous to really go for it going forward. Cause if we lost that way, its fine....we had 3 on the trot and we looked to push things positively. Now its situation where we are goalless @ Huddersfield and @Brighton. Worrying to say the least and cant be good for the confidence of the attack (and they need confidence badly).

I get the game plan but wish it had been different.

:thup: aye that's fair. The core of our midfield and defence is very promising tbh.

It's pretty simple really, we just lack technique outside of Merino and Ritchie.

I don't have a problem with how we play for that very reason, pretty much every else struggles with pressure and has very heavy touches.

We look good when we are given space but any time we have to forge the space ourselves we struggle if it's not Merino and Ritchie.

Atsu is a prime example, when he has space he looks great but any time the opposition forces him to create space for himself he struggles.

Until that changes how we play is kind of a necessity.

Our two most technically gifted midfielders, Shelvey and Merino, should both be on the field at all times, unless suspended. We need more than one capable passer in the middle.

Merino, Shelvey, Perez against teams that we can press.

Hayden, Merino, Shelvey against teams that will push us back.

Our two most technically gifted midfielders, Shelvey and Merino, should both be on the field at all times, unless suspended. We need more than one capable passer in the middle.

Merino, Shelvey, Perez against teams that we can press.

Hayden, Merino, Shelvey against teams that will push us back.

Can't disagree with that tbh.

I'm not sure what the plan is if Hayden gets injured/suspended at the minute.

I f***ing hate this whole sitting back and trying to soak up pressure like. We showed during the actual game that we can retain possession and move the ball about and cause lots of problems. I thought as a team we played as individuals at times, relying on say Merino or Ritchie and whenever it broke down with them we looked toothless. When they clicked though we caused problems again. Joselu was easily bossed all game and doesn't have the pace to cause problems in a different way.

Our best player was Merino and then Elliott, the rest were extremely average. Shelvey looked good when he came on and Ritchie and Perez didn't stop working, but they were poor with their final ball or shooting.

Last 3 minutes was s***, we needed to load it into the box and we just fannied around.

An annoying performance and a defeat that was easily avoided. On chances alone we probably deserved a point.

Happy for Hughton though!

I don't entirely agree. I think we showed against West Ham & Stoke in particular, and at times well against Swansea and Spurs, that if we engage the oppo. just inside their half and work off triggers to press from there we actually create some very good opportunities to counter attack against them in their final 1/3. I personally quite like it (at times), and think that when an NUFC team digs in and presses well and plays quick on the break it actually suits the mindset of the fans better. You go in with an NUFC crowd and, like most fans in this country, they enjoy players grafting, putting in tackles etc.

Also, I don't believe we have the quality in Yedlin and Lascelles in particular to play out and through teams. I think if we were to play Shelvey + Merino we could get on the ball a bit more, but I prefer Hayden in there instead of Shelvey. Also, the likes of Atsu are better 1v1 with space in behind, whilst for me Ritchie is the same- when the opposition are compact and there's not much space for him to turn he's quite ineffective imo.

I can see the frustration in not looking to dominate more, and in fairness I think against sides like Brighton we should be a bit more attacking, but when you look at the keeper we have its very hard to justify playing out from the back. I feel though that if we are to play more ball, Gayle has to start to give that threat to slide in behind.

Just imo, I think we are right to go through brief spells in matches of trying to dominate, but overall sit off and pounce when the chances arise. Who knows, I could end up agreeing fully with you in a few weeks HTT!