RIP Freddy Shepherd

Optimistic Nut

Sad news. Like many of said his ambition and desire for NUFC to be at the top was wonderful.

The Stadium expansion to 52,000 was a great legacy and his plans to expand the ground further showed a side that Mike Ashley would never, ever done

His way of "we're Newcastle United" is the complete opposite to Ashley's recent utterings.

That said, not a perfect Chairman and his decision to replace Robson with Souness is one of the worst decisions in the last 30 years of our football club.

RIP

Never a fan of his football acumen but can't fault him for having a go.

RIP.

That's about as much as I can muster too, was delighted when he left. Because of how bad things have been since doesn't mitigate his many mistakes. When it was good though it was very good.

RIP

He clearly tried to make the club as good as it can be, and profit himself in the process.

But his success and the club's success were tied together but that wasn't an issue for me.

I think in the end he presided over a period where the Premier League was becoming much more globalised and modernised and yet Shepherd took a much more inward, conservative view that led to appointments like Souness.

Ashley being a bellend doesn't change the fact that had Freddie stayed, we probably would have ended up in administration. His last few years were a disaster and he ripped up a large amount of the progress the club had made since he bought it.

Still shite to see he's gone though. No one deserves death over football.

Presided over some tremendous times and, unlike the current proprietor, actually had ambition for the club.

That said his ambition for the club was only bettered by his ambition to fatten his bank account, was a complete gobshite and made some absolutely awful decisions that really damaged the club.

RIP.

:thup:

RIP

Presided over some tremendous times and, unlike the current proprietor, actually had ambition for the club.

That said his ambition for the club was only bettered by his ambition to fatten his bank account, was a complete gobshite and made some absolutely awful decisions that really damaged the club.

RIP.

Exactly my feelings.

R.I.P

Guest neesy111

Pissed away the legacy left by Hall making himself a very rich man in the process, then sold us to Ashley.

No tears from me.

The Hall's sold the club, not Shepherd.  Shepherd was forced to sell his shareholding.

RIP.

Exactly my feelings.

R.I.P

All fair emotions.

Had he remained chairman for another 5 years or so the club would have been in financial ruin. Sadly he sold the club to a ring piece of a different callibre. He should also have stood up for SBR when the board wanted him sacked.

Either way, he was prepared to pump money into the squad when needed and had some good memories under him.

RIP

Freddy first, club second. Some awful decisions made along the way, some for greed and some with the best intentions; it's hard to really place where you'd put him when you look back and especially after Ashley.

Thoughts are with his family. Rip.