Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I remember this debate happening with either King Dawson or Martin Jol on here back in like 2007, it was boring and unanswerable then.

Pretty sure I read not all that long ago that NUFC attract the 3rd highest TV viewing figures in England behind Man Utd and Liverpool and that is despite us being probably the most boring team to watch. Probably the reason Sky have us on so often as well.

For supposedly not a big club we certainly attract a lot of interest, and always have.

Pretty sure I read not all that long ago that NUFC attract the 3rd highest TV viewing figures in England behind Man Utd and Liverpool and that is despite us being probably the most boring team to watch. Probably the reason Sky have us on so often as well.

For supposedly not a big club we certainly attract a lot of interest, and always have.

That's because we are like a bat shit crazy soap opera/circus

Apart from honours and fanbase (matchday and worldwide) what else comes into it?

We are good on honours, not great, very good on fanbase, worldwide probably not great.

So i make us a big club, but obviously not huge.

Villa have more honours and we've got a better fanbase, we are about the same size.

Sunderland have 2 more leagues than us but we've got 4 more FA Cups and a Fairs Cup and a better fan base, we are bigger than them, but not by an absolute mile.

All opinions, like.

Was the Fairs cup the equivalent of the Europa league and Uefa Cup, or a seperate competition?

Either way i know it counts as a major honour.

Kind of a predecessor to the UEFA cup. A quick wiki search shows that UEFA don't recognise as a major honour it but FIFA do.

Was the Fairs cup the equivalent of the Europa league and Uefa Cup, or a seperate competition?

Kind of a predecessor to the UEFA cup. A quick wiki search shows that UEFA don't recognise as a major honour it but FIFA do.

The Fairs Cup was a massive deal by the time we won it, some antiquated qualifying rules our own FA did didn’t change the until after it was the UEFA Cup. My dad and brother went to all the home games and my grandad went over to Feyenoord with my uncle going up to Rangers for the 1st leg of the semi. Sports Night showed the highlights of both legs of the final which in itself was indication that it was a major trophy.

Took this from elsewhere.

Uefa took over the Fairs Cup in 1971 because it was such a big competition, our FA continued the 1 club 1 city until 1974 despite it being abolished by the Fairs Cup some years earlier. The Fairs Cup was founded in 1955 (just a year after the European Cup) by a committee including Uefa officials, including the Vice President.

The Cup Winners Cup was not started until 1960 and was an inferior tournament with many European leagues not having a domestic cup and others where the domestic cup was held in low regard. In 1968 Uefa decided that the Cup Winners Cup would come second after the European Cup in an attempt to give it more prestige over a competition that wasn’t theirs; the European domestic leagues widely recognised the Fairs Cup as the better competition with 64 teams in it and Uefa took over the Fairs Cup in 1971 but would not lose face by changing the ranking. Given that Uefa abandoned the Cup Winners Cup tells you which was the more prestigious competition in real terms.

This is a great piece and encapsulates what The Fairs Cup meant

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942#/topics/982536?page=95

Where you from Crooks?

Atherstone, Warks. Born in Nuneaton. Dads from Shields. Sorry if you’re from there. :lol: Love the mad place really. You?

You don’t work for the local “explosive” courier company do you?

Guest Howaythetoon

Back then, it being a new competition, it was considered by many a director/board and the media and indeed fans in general (no doubt many of our own fans back in the day too), as a pointless competition where even the European Cup was still regarded with a certain disdain in many quarters as inferior and somewhat beneath the myopic superiority of our our domestic competitions.

But to those that knew football, managers, especially the newer breed, players who considered representing their country abroad as the highest honour and fans not easily swayed by the xenophobic and self righteous opinion of the media filled with hacks who once saw the typewriter as the enemy to the pen, it was a tough exciting competition and equal in many ways to the European Cup in terms of quality and the path to glory.

Football was quite different back then, Malmö were a crack European team for example and when we won the Fairs Cup so were we and had that team been added to by someone more ahead of the times or keeping of the times back then like a Revie or a Clough, the Fairs Cup winning team could have been moulded into league and European cup champions.

Look at the gates, the battles, the scenes when we brought it home, it wasn’t just some throw away competition or meaningless trophy. The mackems and others may mock it today or try and day it wasn’t a proper competition, but that’s sour grapes.

We thought we would walk it and although we won it, we soon realised just how big an achievement it was given the quality of opposition, the competitiveness of all those that entered it and what it took to win it. Again, the scenes speak for itself. Ask any of those surviving players today what they think about this so-called loser trophy and they wouldn’t swap it for a league title or an FA Cup and I don’t think those fans that were lucky enough to see us lift it would either, not then and not now.

Sadly UEFA have devalued their competitions in a sporting context over the years, but to win any piece of silverware today in Europe is still a mighty feat to achieve whether it’s Real Madrid in the CL or Chelsea in the Europa League. Although their spoilt fans will probably regard their success in that as highly as winning the reserves league...

Back then, it being a new competition, it was considered by many a director/board and the media and indeed fans in general (no doubt many of our own fans back in the day too), as a pointless competition where even the European Cup was still regarded with a certain disdain in many quarters as inferior and somewhat beneath the myopic superiority of our our domestic competitions.

But to those that knew football, managers, especially the newer breed, players who considered representing their country abroad as the highest honour and fans not easily swayed by the xenophobic and self righteous opinion of the media filled with hacks who once saw the typewriter as the enemy to the pen, it was a tough exciting competition and equal in many ways to the European Cup in terms of quality and the path to glory.

Football was quite different back then, Malmö were a crack European team for example and when we won the Fairs Cup so were we and had that team been added to by someone more ahead of the times or keeping of the times back then like a Revie or a Clough, the Fairs Cup winning team could have been moulded into league and European cup champions.

Look at the gates, the battles, the scenes when we brought it home, it wasn’t just some throw away competition or meaningless trophy. The mackems and others may mock it today or try and day it wasn’t a proper competition, but that’s sour grapes.

We thought we would walk it and although we won it, we soon realised just how big an achievement it was given the quality of opposition, the competitiveness of all those that entered it and what it took to win it. Again, the scenes speak for itself. Ask any of those surviving players today what they think about this so-called loser trophy and they wouldn’t swap it for a league title or an FA Cup and I don’t think those fans that were lucky enough to see us lift it would either, not then and not now.

Sadly UEFA have devalued their competitions in a sporting context over the years, but to win any piece of silverware today in Europe is still a mighty feat to achieve whether it’s Real Madrid in the CL or Chelsea in the Europa League. Although their spoilt fans will probably regard their success in that as highly as winning the reserves league...

It should also be noted that Don Revie rated Ujpest Dozsa highly as they'd knocked Leeds out and predicted they'd hammer us in the final.

Mike Ashley's disregard for Newcastle taken to a new level

https://dailym.ai/2QXJYpW

‘I have never looked at the club website,’ Ashley replied. ‘And I have to be exceptionally bored to read the programme. You will get more sense out of the Beano’

He really knows how to sell NUFC to other people and potential business partners.

Yes, the Fairs Cup was eventually re-named as "The UEFA Cup" and then later as "The Europa League".

I have written this post (see 'link' below) about our "Fabulous Fairs Cup Win" of 1969.

The tournament was eventually re-named as "The UEFA Cup" and then later as "The Europa League", but back in 1969 it was a MUCH bigger and more important tournament than it now is.

Remember, only one team went into the 'European Cup' (now called 'The Champions league') so most of the teams that would now be in the Champions League (from 2nd, 3rd and 4th position in their domestic leagues) would all be in the Fairs Cup, with us.

Here is the story of our superb 1969 Fairs Cup adventures . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942