Stoke City 0-1 Newcastle United- 01/01/18 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Greg

Maybe it's Hindsight but I wasn't here when the team announced so I don't think it is.

But I don't understand the criticism for the team tbh, on paper at least more width and mobility sounds much better than persisting with players who are flat out offering fuck all.

I'd like Merino to be one of the midfielders, but in general Atsu, Murphy, Ritchie and Perez seems much more preferable a front 4 than persisting with the other crap forwards we have.

Think there's a lot to be said for us having confidence away from home and not at home. No fear of being booed for making a mistake, etc.

There's that and the fact away from home we benefit from the home team having to push on, giving us the chance to counter attack.

Aye.

A win against Swansea would be good, for the sake of morale more than anything.

A win would give us so much breathing space if result go our way in other games, enough to go into the FA Cup in a much better state.

What I think our best team is, clearly isn't.

:lol: :thup:

I honestly have no idea.

On paper, with everyone at their best, I think it just depends on who we're playing. For me though, it's become pretty apparent that any combination that we play absolutely must include Lascelles, he's been brilliant since he came back.

Aye I think he's literally the only one who has to be in the side. He's the only consistent one in the whole squad imo.

There's a percentage of the squad who can be effective, but are equally as liable to have a stinker. The rest are just walking stinkers.

I have no idea how statistically effective it is to sit as deep as we did but I'll never be convinced it's the right thing to do like, I don't know if it was instructed of just the players shitting themselves though :lol:

Great game but those final 10 minutes were concentrated pain.

Even moreso with Crouch upfront. Very hard to do otherwise though, goes against all your instincts.

It was the same as at West Ham. We are shocking at closing the games out, completely incapable of keeping the ball away from our goal. They all just get rid of it ASAP, invite pressure and cling on for dear life. It's worked in those two games ultimately but against better teams it probably wouldn't.

Think there's a lot to be said for us having confidence away from home and not at home. No fear of being booed for making a mistake, etc.

There's that and the fact away from home we benefit from the home team having to push on, giving us the chance to counter attack.

Aye.

A win would give us so much breathing space if result go our way in other games, enough to go into the FA Cup in a much better state.

Cup game comes before the Swansea match.

Aye.

Cup game comes before the Swansea match.

Oh does it, bugger. Well at least we have 2 weeks to get players in, hopefully.

2 points behind huddersfield and reckon they'll drop away badly like last season so hopefully will overtake them soon. Things may start looking better in the table for us, but really need to sign some goal scorers etc.

Radio 5 been unusually nice to us today.

If I'd had a drink I'd think they'd started kissing our butts knowing the takeover was complete and we were going to be huge.

Raga currently on 5 live.

Sky have deleted this now. Some overly happy Newcastle fan on their social media desk?

Haha, their Twitter highlights are always temporary but normally last a bit longer than that, so maybe.

Relieved for the win, but it got me thinking. I genuinely think Lascelles is the only GOOD player we have. The rest are all average/championship quality.

He's CRUCIAL. 1 goal conceded in the past 3 games and in only one game since he came back have we conceded more than 1 goal and that was down to a shit pass from Saivet. He is absolutely fundamental to organizing this defense and keeping us up.

Guest firetotheworks

Radio 5 been unusually nice to us today.

If I'd had a drink I'd think they'd started kissing our butts knowing the takeover was complete and we were going to be huge.

Raga currently on 5 live.

Wow, I thought they just did sport.

I havnt seen much of the game to be honest. It was a dodgy stream in the club that kept going off so i'm gunna watch the game back in full later when i get in.

What a fucken great win though. Much needed.

Guest firetotheworks

Gayle do anything when he came on?

Should have had a penalty if not for yet another shit refereeing decision, aside from that he made some good runs, made himself a nuisance and got involved. Decent performance imo.