Transfer rumours

Yorkie

3 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

It just shows how bad our youth set up is - that we sign 'cast offs' from other clubs, who are hyped up but ultimately leave with a whimper after a few years. Shoddy.

Mind, i wish this latest lad well - lets hope he bucks the trend.

Thats what I never understand about us, we spunk 10M on bench warmers like Muto when it would be much better spent improving the wheelie bins and paddling pools at the academy.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

let ritchie go and get willems in.

wouldnt make any dent in the "warchest" as willems would be likley on less wages.

normally I would say no brainier as you would get money coming in and as you say probably save wages. Also think most would agree that Willems would have been ahead of Ritchie when he was here. However, the fact that he has not played any games (I don’t think he has anyway or certainly very very few) since the injury has me thinking it’s just too much of a risk signing, unless it was a structured deal with an initial 1 year attached. The fact he would obviously be looking for a longer deal, means in my opinion anyway I would not take the risk.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

and also this whole "warchest" thing. making it like we're going into battle with the other premiership clubs to push on this season. we all know its about just staying up.

Media should really just call it a survival fund rather than a war chest

8 hours ago, Beth said:

Thats what I never understand about us, we spunk 10M on bench warmers like Muto when it would be much better spent improving the wheelie bins and paddling pools at the academy.

Still got to have a squad though. There’s zero point having 21st century wheelie bins, and only 15 players. 

Signing Armstrong must be a no-brainer. £5-8M for a 24 year old local lad who's just scored 28 goals in the championship is just too good to say no to.

I would do a deal even if the price would go up to £10-12M. Much better option than Gayle, Carroll and Joelinton who all should be sold imo.

1 hour ago, bowlingcrofty said:

They want £25m for him, so in reality he’s cost £12-£15m at best even with the 40% sell on.

Much more likely that Ashley would want to pocket the £10m sell on fee and sign someone like Josh King for nowt.

The papers say the price is down at £8M. So with the 40% sell on that would be £4,8M.

But my guess is it will take more, so maybe a bid at £10-12M would do for us I think.

Rather we sign Arma instead of King!

Edited by Toon No9

28 minutes ago, Beth said:

Armstrong isn't good enough for the PL. I expect Toney to struggle as well. They're basically just younger Dwight Gayles.

Both have potential to improve and both deserve their chance.

I'd bet my last pound both of them would score more goals than Joelinton and Gayle has with the same number of games.

6 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Both have potential to improve and both deserve their chance.

I'd bet my last pound both of them would score more goals than Joelinton and Gayle has with the same number of games.

Barring a miraculous step up from them both they aren't going to improve much now.

Yes they'd score more than Joelinton...but so would Gayle if played, as would Carroll if not permanently injured.

Would rather take a chance on one of the youth lot being the next Rooney

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Barring a miraculous step up from them both they aren't going to improve much now.

Yes they'd score more than Joelinton...but so would Gayle if played, as would Carroll if not permanently injured.

Would rather take a chance on one of the youth lot being the next Rooney

I wasn't talking about them playing for us btw.

Toney is only 25 and deserves the chance we will get with Brentford.

Armstrong is only 24 and well worth a gamble for some PL club. 

IMO of course 

Guest HTT II
27 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Armstrong got player of the year ahead of Toney. While I get the reservations, particularly based on his physical stature, I think it's unfair to write him off before he's has a chance in the PL. 

It would be wrong to write both of them off, unless you’re NUFC of course…

Anyone believe there's any truth behind the Freddy Woodman and Joe Willock swap deal? I'd love Willock back, and although I believe Woodman will go onto become a great keeper, we really are covered well with Dubravka/Darlow 

Edited by mighty__mag

3 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Anyone believe there's any truth behind the Freddy Woodman and Joe Willock swap deal? I'd love Willock back, and although I believe Woodman will go onto become a great keeper, we really are covered well with Dubravka/Darlow 

wasnt darlow pissed off at Dubs coming back in and costing him a england squad place.

was stuff going around at the time that he was looking to leave this summer.

£10m anyone?

Edited by huss9

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

wasnt darlow pissed off at Dubs coming back in and costing him a england squad place.

was stuff going around at the time that he was looking to leave this summer.

£10m anyone?

Could both be leaving. Woodman won't return to sit on the bench as much as Darlow has a taste and is done sitting as number 2 as well. 

If you're scoring that amount of goals in the Championship it might not translate to being a good PL striker, but you've definitely earned your shot at it. Aye Armstrong's played in the PL, but years ago as a kid. Definitely would think he's worth a punt by a lower PL team.

I would not include Woodman in a deal to get Willock here. I think Woodman has a great future and could be our no 1 keeper for many years to come.

Would still love us to buy Willock though. Sell Ritchie(replace with Willems on a free), Shelvey(play Shortstaff or Hayden instead), Hendrick, Gayle and Joelinton. Use that money to get Willock.

Sell Lejeune and one of Schar/Clark. Replace with Ajer or Nat Phillips. Bring Saliba in on loan with option to buy.

Get Armstrong in and an experienced back-up striker on a free.