Transfer rumours

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

This feels like the consequence of the remote style of management that operates at our club. Balancing the books is fine, but there has to be some flexibility at times.

Whatever one thinks of Bruce, he has always been loyal to the ownership of the club. He has no record here of rocking the boat and using public pressure to get his own way. Choudhury was clearly an important signing for him, and one that wouldn't have broken the bank. Within their game plan, he has earned their trust. If they have looked at him as another manager just throwing his toys out of the pram in order to stretch the budget as much as possible, then they've read it wrong. 

Of course, if you want to see a crack in the relationship between owner and manager, then you'll be happy. 

I think the main purpose of the statement was them publicly telling Bruce to get back in his box after what his two main press mates have said this week, but yeah whatever. 

It's such a weird statement, as it's not really to the fans since none of us expected NUFC to buy anyone anyway.

It looks like it's just airing an internal grievance. It's hilariously incompetent!

Also, saying Joe Willock 3 times - he must be delighted with that.

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

This feels like the consequence of the remote style of management that operates at our club. Balancing the books is fine, but there has to be some flexibility at times.

Whatever one thinks of Bruce, he has always been loyal to the ownership of the club. He has no record here of rocking the boat and using public pressure to get his own way. Choudhury was clearly an important signing for him, and one that wouldn't have broken the bank. Within their game plan, he has earned their trust. If they have looked at him as another manager just throwing his toys out of the pram in order to stretch the budget as much as possible, then they've read it wrong. 

Of course, if you want to see a crack in the relationship between owner and manager, then you'll be happy. 

2 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I think the main purpose of the statement was them publicly telling Bruce to get back in his box after what his two main press mates have said this week, but yeah whatever. 

That's exactly what it was. But it's not as though Bruce has broken rank before, and, accordingly, they ought to have considered that, in this instance, he may have had an important reason for showing his frustration. 

It's not always the glamour signings that make a difference to a team. Bruce is trying to play a more attacking game, but it will only work if we have the midfield enforcer that we lack at the moment. One was available at modest cost. Reverting to a more defensive approach feels like a step backwards, and quite possibly won't succeed this time, because it's a tacit admission of failure. That's not to mention the way in which the clubs around us have probably boosted morale by their signings.

I feel more frustrated by the failure of this signing than any other in Bruce's time at the club. It's a real wasted opportunity.

Edited by Cronky

I feel more frustrated by the failure of this signing than any other in Bruce's time at the club. It's a real wasted opportunity.

Imagine thinking that about Newcastle and Hamza Choudhury

How low we've sunk

40 minutes ago, Cronky said:

That's exactly what it was. But it's not as though Bruce has broken rank before, and, accordingly, they ought to have considered that, in this instance, he may have had an important reason for showing his frustration. 

It's not always the glamour signings that make a difference to a team. Bruce is trying to play a more attacking game, but it will only work if we have the midfield enforcer that we lack at the moment. One was available at modest cost. Reverting to a more defensive approach feels like a step backwards, and quite possibly won't succeed this time, because it's a tacit admission of failure. That's not to mention the way in which the clubs around us have probably boosted morale by their signings.

Yeah, not wasting my time responding constructively to that rubbish like. :lol:

1 hour ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Man that Joelinton deal is dodgy as fuck. Literally nothing to suggest he was a £40m player. 

I'm sure £40m changed hands, but who got what will never be known. After Ashley, agents and others got their cuts I doubt Hoffenheim saw more than £10m of it.

5 hours ago, Beth said:

I'm sure £40m changed hands, but who got what will never be known. After Ashley, agents and others got their cuts I doubt Hoffenheim saw more than £10m of it.

See, that’s the part that confuses me most. Mike Ashley hates all that side of football, there’s no way he’d approve a deal that was about getting agents paid. Now if there was a middle man that had something to do with a property deal or something similar that was external to nufc, that would make more sense.

It should be investigated.

My initial take on it when the deal happened was that it was a punt on Joelinton actually being decent and being worth 100m or more within a season or two, but like everything with this club, it backfired spectacularly. You’d be lucky to get 10m for him now