Transfer rumours

Yorkie

19 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

A few of us thought Lewis was an actual good full back, even more suited to wingback actually. Not turned out too well so far, but we did spent a fair amount for us on him.

I did actually also, based on age, etc, and probably the fact we had nothing here that was of much use at LB. But what I learned fast with Lewis is his positional play, he could be brilliant if he knew where to be when defending. Also he was coached by Daniel Farke who is head and shoulders more adventurous and tactically immense compared to Bruce. 👍🏻

Edited by mighty__mag

29 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I did actually also, based on age, etc, and probably the fact we had nothing here that was of much use at LB. But what I learned fast with Lewis is his positional play, he could be brilliant if he knew where to be when defending. Also he was coached by Daniel Farke who is head and shoulders more adventurous and tactically immense compared to Bruce. 👍🏻

He wasn't heavily linked and chased by Liverpool for no reason. It is just no surprise he has gone backwards under a regime that gleefully throws players in the deep end with zero direction, tactics or support to actually grow or improve.

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We’re so shit at nurturing and developing young talent. You’d think for a tight arse like Ashley, focussing on youth development so you don’t have to fork out on transfer fees would be a no-brainer 

It's to early for transfers yet, Bruce has already said we have to wait till all the Premier and Championship clubs have made their signings and see what scraps are left.

16 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Aye we have to the kid a bit of leeway, as you and @toontownman has both noted, he's not overly likely to advance under Bruce and his special style of shiteness.

I would caveat that with Lewis needs to improve himself, while Bruce is a major factor the lad has to improve the basics defensively. Still think there's a very good attacking full back waiting to develop, with the right management guiding him hopefully at us.

Edited by Bimpy474

On 22/07/2021 at 22:03, number37 said:

I know the answer, of course I do, but seriously, where is the money? Like, we're technically a Premier League club but acting like we don't have a pot to piss in. I'm not expecting the second coming of Manchester City but surely, in 2021, signing players in double digit millions isn't the most outrageous thing to expect (delusional Geordies). These are basic, fundamental running costs of a modern club in the richest football league in the world - not title winning ambition, not squad overhauls, just doing the essentials. Surely even treading water must cost a couple of quid. 

Is the club sitting on a huge cash reserve? Clever accountancy? Even if Mike Ashley openly stated he's paying himself a million pounds a week you'd have to half admire his honesty and begrudgingly accept that's where the money is. But no. It's just a stubborn refusal. It's negligence, it's not being thrifty, it's not Daniel Levy levels of brinkmanship. The club isn't hemorrhaging money, it's not doing a Leeds (in the classic sense, chance would be a fine thing), it hasn't taken out a loan with the Bank of chuffing England nor has it built a 100,000 faded seat stadium in the middle of some retail park broadly speaking within the NE postcode. It's absolute madness. It's so ironic that the Premier league must hate us not because we're going to spend our way to every title from now until domesday but because we're deliberately stinking out their league by not even trying. In loads of other sports you'd be chucked out or disqualified for deliberately not trying or not showing effort. 

But aye, fit and proper person. 

Presume the "we have no money" line is due to the odd policy we alone follow by paying up front for players, including their wages in the fee and accepting installments when selling players. Consider we've also not sold anyone substantial since Perez.

We have a skeleton staff, no commercial activity to speak of, no investment in infrastructure or the stadium, a non-league standard training ground. No first team signings at a PL level. I am a bit confused about where our £100m+ a year goes. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We have a skeleton staff, no commercial activity to speak of, no investment in infrastructure or the stadium, a non-league standard training ground. No first team signings at a PL level. I am a bit confused about where our £100+ a year goes. 

We pay too many average players high wages tbh.  Shelvey was on 80k a week ffs before his new contract.

6 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

We pay too many average players high wages tbh.  Shelvey was on 80k a week ffs before his new contract.

We still have an average to low wage bill compared the rest of the league

1 hour ago, Ben said:

If some club gets Willock is that our whole transfer strategy up in flames this season ?

If by strategy you mean a hastily scribbled name on a dirty napkin in wacky warehouse crayon then yes I think they'll be all out of ideas.

If history is anything to go by, we will probably sign 3 players in the next week, which will be just enough to see us competing above relegation.

Willock and 2 other half decent PL players but absolutely nothing exciting.

33 minutes ago, STM said:

If history is anything to go by, we will probably sign 3 players in the next week, which will be just enough to see us competing above relegation.

Willock and 2 other half decent PL players but absolutely nothing exciting.

If we get Willock in and two others, I honestly (pending injuries) don't think we will be anywhere near relegation (about the place we finished this year). Long term injuries to St Max and Wilson would change that however obviously. 

Edited by et tu brute

4 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Muto is in talks with Aris Salonica. We hardly knew ye.

Greek mate (who knows his stuff) doesn't think this is legit as apparently they are a small club and don't have much money. Unless we are subbing his wages which wouldn't make sense.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Can’t believe I’m saying this but keep Fraser fit and he’ll be ‘like a new signing’. Expect more from him this season.

If you think about our best team and everybody being fit and on form we should be nowhere near the bottom 5. The manager, however...