Transfer rumours

Yorkie

10 hours ago, Cronky said:

This feels like the consequence of the remote style of management that operates at our club. Balancing the books is fine, but there has to be some flexibility at times.

Whatever one thinks of Bruce, he has always been loyal to the ownership of the club. He has no record here of rocking the boat and using public pressure to get his own way. Choudhury was clearly an important signing for him, and one that wouldn't have broken the bank. Within their game plan, he has earned their trust. If they have looked at him as another manager just throwing his toys out of the pram in order to stretch the budget as much as possible, then they've read it wrong. 

Of course, if you want to see a crack in the relationship between owner and manager, then you'll be happy. 

I don't really care about any cracks in their relationship, if Bruce is still here, then there is no crack as far as I'm concerned. 

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't really care about any cracks in their relationship, if Bruce is still here, then there is no crack as far as I'm concerned. 

TBF Ashley is in Miami Bruce is in Portugal it will be Thursday before they surface

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

See, that’s the part that confuses me most. Mike Ashley hates all that side of football, there’s no way he’d approve a deal that was about getting agents paid. Now if there was a middle man that had something to do with a property deal or something similar that was external to nufc, that would make more sense.

It should be investigated.

My initial take on it when the deal happened was that it was a punt on Joelinton actually being decent and being worth 100m or more within a season or two, but like everything with this club, it backfired spectacularly. You’d be lucky to get 10m for him now 

i reckon it was some kind of tax dodge/ some kind of way to offset a tax bill. There has to be a reason that’s not a footballing reason and with Ashley it’s bound to be a way to make money. 

With all the drama of transfer day, it can be hard to keep track of all the latest figures and deals flying around. One particular exec at a big club was clearly hoping to use this commotion to their advantage, but people have started to notice a curious eight-figure discrepancy bubbling up on the books.

At least three unlikely summer transfers are now under the microscope, including one in which the club ended up paying £20m more for a player than the selling club asked for – and it’s not immediately clear where the remaining balance might have ended up.

As there doesn’t seem to be a satisfactory answer forthcoming, we’re told we can expect a big resignation (or “mutually agreed departure”) to take place before too long.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

See, that’s the part that confuses me most. Mike Ashley hates all that side of football, there’s no way he’d approve a deal that was about getting agents paid. Now if there was a middle man that had something to do with a property deal or something similar that was external to nufc, that would make more sense.

It should be investigated.

My initial take on it when the deal happened was that it was a punt on Joelinton actually being decent and being worth 100m or more within a season or two, but like everything with this club, it backfired spectacularly. You’d be lucky to get 10m for him now 

Even if that was true, how much profit could they have expected to make on him? Even if he got 15-20 goals a season (lol) for 2-3 years I doubt we'd be looking at a profit of more than £20m or so. As others have since said it could have been some sort of tax dodge but the whole thing stinks like an obese womans fanny after a night out in Sunderland.

Edited by Beth

Theres absolutely no way we cut and dry signed Joelinton for 43m.

He showed nothing in Germany that would mean that he was a 40m player nor would Hoffenheim have commanded that fee for him, he was their third top scorer the season before he went. For reference both Werner and Haller went for similar fee's and scored 34 and 20 goals in their respective final seasons in Germany. 

Add this to the fact that, its absolutely unheard of for us to spend 43m on one player, let alone a completely unproven one. It makes no sense. 

Either theres a shit load of the fee is club or player based incentives, that will never come to fruition because both him and the club are absolutely shite. Either the 43m figure is a flat out lie or some cunt, somewhere has took a massive cut for themselves. 

Lies upon lies with this club man. 

I remember when I first heard that we might be signing a £50m player that summer, I thought it was so ludicrous, no serious newspaper could publish it. We've never offered anywhere close to that level of fee for a proven player, never mind someone unheard of. Even Rafa, one of the most well connected football men in the world barely knew who he was. 

Doesn't surprise me that some other club has apparently been pulled up for paying £20m more than the asking fee this season, there's obviously something seriously fishy going on with these deals. 

36 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Theres absolutely no way we cut and dry signed Joelinton for 43m.

He showed nothing in Germany that would mean that he was a 40m player nor would Hoffenheim have commanded that fee for him, he was their third top scorer the season before he went. For reference both Werner and Haller went for similar fee's and scored 34 and 20 goals in their respective final seasons in Germany. 

Add this to the fact that, its absolutely unheard of for us to spend 43m on one player, let alone a completely unproven one. It makes no sense. 

Either theres a shit load of the fee is club or player based incentives, that will never come to fruition because both him and the club are absolutely shite. Either the 43m figure is a flat out lie or some cunt, somewhere has took a massive cut for themselves. 

Lies upon lies with this club man. 

Firmino cost Liverpool £29m and Hoffenheim announced when Joelinton was sold that it was a record sale, so we know it’s £30m minimum. I’ve no reason to doubt the £40m fee. Was just a god awful transfer.

10 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’ve no reason to doubt the £40m fee. Was just a god awful transfer.

But seriously though? You don't find it at total odds with, well everything logical and sensible?

Something isn't right about that transfer and it'll come to light at some point in the future 

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Same agent as ASM

We know this but what difference would it make? The club wouldn’t spend 40 million on a dud just so they could get someone that may or may not have been excellent for 18m.

ASM’s club we’re happy to accept that fee, if he was worth more at the time they would have looked for it surely?

Has anyone ever checked out Hoffenheim’s accounts to see if that money actually went there?

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

We know this but what difference would it make? The club wouldn’t spend 40 million on a dud just so they could get someone that may or may not have been excellent for 18m.

ASM’s club we’re happy to accept that fee, if he was worth more at the time they would have looked for it surely?

Has anyone ever checked out Hoffenheim’s accounts to see if that money actually went there?

You are talking about the same club who paid a loan fee and wages for a player to avoid the Ukrainian-Russian conflict as a favour for an agent. :lol: 

Anything is possible with these cowboys.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

2 hours ago, NE27 said:

But seriously though? You don't find it at total odds with, well everything logical and sensible?

Something isn't right about that transfer and it'll come to light at some point in the future 

Nigh on everything Mike Ashley has ever done with this club is at odds with everything logical and sensible so the Joelinton transfer is textbook.

2 hours ago, Robster said:

Nigh on everything Mike Ashley has ever done with this club is at odds with everything logical and sensible so the Joelinton transfer is textbook.

But his reputation as hating to overpay on a player has been consistent from just about day one. That's what makes his determination to suddenly throw £40m at a player most people had barely heard of all the more baffling. You could argue he went on the advice of his chief scout, but then why would he not consider Rafa's opinion above the scout's? Who carries the bigger reputation? That scout was put on furlough ffs. 

I just don't buy it, there has to be more to it that hasn't been disclosed. Much like I still don't buy that Bruce was 11th choice either. There's just too much money that has been thrown at both deals to suggest anything other than Ashley really wanted both done far too much. Probably for all the wrong reasons. 

The rumour that Hoffenheim only received £20 million for Joelinton seems far fetched but a quick look at their transfer business after means it could be true, Ashley has his grubby mits all over that dodgy deal.

• 1 month later...
Guest HTT II

There are decent players to be had without paying daft money and players who would come here/be here for the right reasons, I’d much prefer that than Robinho type signings, you sign the top players when you’re a top team with a top manager. More Wilson’s for example is my idea of signing ‘quality’ for where we are right now. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, ManDoon said:

Icardi or death tbh

He’s a player I actually think would come here and not be a Robinho/Adebayor 

Was thinking more of what we were doing but on a grander better organised scale, buy players for the areas we need (to begin with thats in alot of areas) and possibly put up with "stepping stone" style signings as they are the ones that will first want to come as we cant offer european football as we can offer them bigger wages and chance to get in the shop window. Hopefully if/when success then comes after season X we then look to just improve and move on older/less effective players and dont need to worry about the calibre of player that would turn us down as we can go for anyone but thats not day one or season one.   

Difference is if we sell a player on for 30m I hope that then means we replace them with at least a new 30m or more player meaning over time you do a Leicester style buy and sell to improve the squad. 

We aint buying 6/7/8 players a window we will have to put up with a big rebuild with mistakes along the way (be that wrong manager or wrong signing) its the nature of the beast but that wont hopefully be then held as a reason to not brush yourself off and move on.